Significance of dark feces?

DebsFlock

Banned
Banned
Jul 19, 2012
Los Angeles County, near Palmdale
Parrots
Scooter -- male Green Cheek Conure "Normal" but that's a matter of opinion! Hatched in March 2010

Scotty -- Male Cape Parrot hatched somewhere between 2007-2009 we think

Caballo Blanco -- male C
What is the significance of the solid part of the dropping being quite dark? Not black, but quite dark green? Since it is green, I don't think it is blood, and the bird in question (Blanco, my tiel) acts quite healthy. He's a bit of a perch potato, but I'm told that's normal for tiels and he has been like that since day one.

He did have a bad reaction to a deworming medicine, and I'm a bit paranoid that it did some real systemic damage. Even after 4 months and a significant molt, he looks less vibrant than my other two. I plan to take him in for a vet checkup soon -- the other two are due for annual exams anyway. Initially I thought he might have liver damage, but I don't really think he's displaying any signs of that. His urates are sometimes yellowish, but I'm pretty sure that's because he loves Zumpreem fruit blend and favors the yellow "bananas". The only thing I really have to put a finger on is the dark color of the feces, but my med book doesn't really discuss that as an abnormal finding.

His history is that he was a fly away that just appeared on our front screen. We never found an owner and kept him. He was underweight and had round worms by the time we got him, but otherwise seemed healthy except that the Panacur made him acutely ill. No real idea of his age, prior treatment or anything. He came to us tame, but not very trained, and somewhat afraid of hands, but loving to be on shoulders.

OP
D

DebsFlock

Banned
Banned
Jul 19, 2012
Parrots
Scooter -- male Green Cheek Conure "Normal" but that's a matter of opinion! Hatched in March 2010

Caballo Blanco -- male C
He's not good about eating his veggies, I fear. He does eat a lot more of the Zupreem colored pellets than my other two birds. It's his favorite thing to eat. He gets some seeds and other pellets and is offered fresh food twice a day, fruit and veg in the AM and sprouts in the PM. He does eat the sprouts.

OP
D

DebsFlock

Banned
Banned
Jul 19, 2012
Parrots

Caballo Blanco -- male C
OK, so $300 later the color of the poop is down to his diet and I have a cockatiel with textbook healthy blood... he's fine. He did, as it turns out, have a blocked nare, but it went under the microscope and there was no evidence of bacteria in it, just debris. So he was annoyed, I was impoverished, and once more I have been guilty of over-worrying!

OP
D

DebsFlock

Banned
Banned
Jul 19, 2012
Parrots

Caballo Blanco -- male C
Well, yes, that's why I took him to the vet...

wenz2712

Banned
Banned
Nov 16, 2011
Media
Well, I am pleased you took him to the Vet just to be on the safe side. We can never be too careful, where our Birds health is concerned :)

You can, maybe keep the link I gave you, for future reference :)

OP
D

DebsFlock

Banned
Banned
Jul 19, 2012
Parrots

Caballo Blanco -- male C
It's a good link. I also have several books on my bookshelf that address the subject.

Riio

Apr 19, 2011
San Diego California
Parrots
'Rio'~RIP baby girl 'Sunshine'~Yellow Side Green Cheek Conure
OK, so $300 later the color of the poop is down to his diet and I have a cockatiel with textbook healthy blood... he's fine. He did, as it turns out, have a blocked nare, but it went under the microscope and there was no evidence of bacteria in it, just debris. So he was annoyed, I was impoverished, and once more I have been guilty of over-worrying!

Glad hes ok. About the nare, any indication it was blocked? Just curious.

OP
D

DebsFlock

Banned
Banned
Jul 19, 2012
Parrots

Caballo Blanco -- male C

Yes, it was thoroughly blocked, the other was open. It took some fair effort for the vet to pick it out. The matter showed no indication of bacteria or white blood cells or anything like that, it appears to have been foreign material, but I'm keeping an eye on it. It may have been bugging Blanco more than I realized.

Riio

Apr 19, 2011
San Diego California
Parrots

Yes, it was thoroughly blocked, the other was open. It took some fair effort for the vet to pick it out. The matter showed no indication of bacteria or white blood cells or anything like that, it appears to have been foreign material, but I'm keeping an eye on it. It may have been bugging Blanco more than I realized.

Wow. Glad it showed nothing abnormal. I was thinking how in the world that could have happened, then I think when sunshines entire beak is covered in his mash everyday and I can totally see it happening. So did he show signs of it being blocked like sneezing, itching it with a toenail etc? Just wondering what to watch for. Thanks in advance for the insight.

OP
D

DebsFlock

Banned
Banned
Jul 19, 2012
Parrots

Caballo Blanco -- male C
No, he seemed completely unphased by it... but he is a cockatiel, they seem like the Manatees of the bird world! I assume he inhaled a seed or something and then some of his own dust got packed in there with it -- when he shakes, it's like Pigpen in Charlie brown. He never had any discharge or anything like that, no sneezing, and I tend to be quite paranoid, as you can probably see from this whole thread!

Riio

Apr 19, 2011
San Diego California
Parrots
No, he seemed completely unphased by it... but he is a cockatiel, they seem like the Manatees of the bird world! I assume he inhaled a seed or something and then some of his own dust got packed in there with it -- when he shakes, it's like Pigpen in Charlie brown. He never had any discharge or anything like that, no sneezing, and I tend to be quite paranoid, as you can probably see from this whole thread!

Well looks as though your being "paranoid" paid off in the end! Good job momma. I will have to keep a close eye on sunshine with his pig like eating habits! Thanks for answering me and letting me know! :)

Most Reactions

Latest posts