Silly Macaw Question

stephend

Jun 7, 2011
Denver
Parrots
Acorn - a Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure;
Bob - a Cockatiel;
Cricket - an American Budgie
So I read that -keet is a suffix applied to long tailed birds, lories/lorikeet, parrot/parakeet. It also said that cockatiels are considered the only keet of the cockatoo family. I know that most macaws have long tails, and was wondering if there were any short tailed macaws, and if the long tailed ones were also considered keets?

Joeyx

Mar 15, 2012
Parrots
Birdie (BFA), Cloud (Lovebird)
no short tailed macaws, i'm afraid.

lene1949

Sep 26, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Parrots
Cory: Short billed Corella -
Echo: Galah -
Max: Alexandrine -
Skye: Yellow Sided conure -
Luka: Green Cheek Conure -
RIP Shrek: Quaker
So I read that -keet is a suffix applied to long tailed birds, lories/lorikeet, parrot/parakeet. It also said that cockatiels are considered the only keet of the cockatoo family. I know that most macaws have long tails, and was wondering if there were any short tailed macaws, and if the long tailed ones were also considered keets?

When people talk about parakeets, they almost always mean budgies or similar small birds... Yes... a lot of birds have a long tail, and I expect it was different explorers naming the different species of birds... Australia and Asia compared to South America... Conures also have long tails...

If I told people I have a parakeet (Max - Alexandrine) they would be shocked to see him, as they would be expecting a budgie...

Most Reactions

Latest posts