Flight feathers

tlouiselle

Mar 9, 2011
Florida
Parrots
Stewie- Eclectus

Oscar-Black capped Conure-RIP my baby
Poor Stewie. Today we took him to have a little pedicure. We told them that we JUST want his nails done and to leave his wings alone. They clipped my baby's flight feathers anyways :-(

I like keeping the first 4 flight feathers clipped half way so that he can still fly a little bit. Now he just drops and it breaks my heart.

How long will it take until the new ones grow in? He is 7 months old and has not had a major molt yet.

Fingers crossed it won't take too long. I think we are more upset about it than Stewie is :)

stephend

Jun 7, 2011
Denver
Parrots
Acorn - a Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure;
Bob - a Cockatiel;
Cricket - an American Budgie

Pedro

Dec 15, 2010
Australia
Parrots
2 Budgies, 3 Cockatiels, 6 GCC'S, 2 Crimson Bellie Conures, 9 Sun Conures, 2 Major Mitchells, 12 Eclectus parrots of various ages, 2 BF Amazons, 2 Hahn's Macaw's, 1 Red Tail Black Too
Just make sure he doesn't hit any hard or sharp edges. He can get bruising or possible split breast bone.

He will go through his next molt at about 12 months where he will start to replace his flight & tail feathers. It does take some time for the molt to be completed. My boys are about 14 to 15 months old & still have a couple of flights to finish growing in.

Don't worry though he will get used of the clip.

OP
tlouiselle

tlouiselle

Mar 9, 2011
Florida
Parrots
Stewie- Eclectus

Oscar-Black capped Conure-RIP my baby
Thank you you guys :) It was just so nice before. He has a playstand out on the lanai and I would leave the door open so he could fly back to his gym on the top of his cage to eat, then back outside to play.

He really is so easy going that he doesn't seem to notice that his ability to fly is gone. He tried once, saw that it is not working, and has decided to play the night away on top of his cage LOL.

Pedro

Dec 15, 2010
Australia
Parrots
2 Budgies, 3 Cockatiels, 6 GCC'S, 2 Crimson Bellie Conures, 9 Sun Conures, 2 Major Mitchells, 12 Eclectus parrots of various ages, 2 BF Amazons, 2 Hahn's Macaw's, 1 Red Tail Black Too
Just enjoy the fact that he is going to be more reliant on you to get from A to B. Although i love having my birds flighted i also love it when they have to depend more on me to get around. I know that's a selfish thought on my part.").

427HISS

Jan 23, 2012
Nebraska
I don't know about other birds, but my cockatoo had her flight feathers clipped before the rescue business shipped her for safety. Three weeks later, I had her out in my front yard and she flew away !
Scared the heck out of me !

Luckily, she perched in a neighbors tall tree and 2 hrs later, was able to retrieve her. I heard a few days ago that the Cockatoo's unlike other birds, can fly even if their cut.

I'm not taking Shelby outside until we receive the harness & leash that we ordered !

My point, make sure your specie's of bird can not,....fly with it's feathers cut !

Most Reactions