Sincerely, how is it living with a female eclectus?

junglenutcracker

Apr 25, 2015
Parrots
GW Macaw, CAG, eclectus (Kiwi- RIP)
We’re still debating and undecided about our next parrot companion.
And yes, the eclectus is among the two species we are considering. Our RS male passed away a few months ago and we do miss him dearly. Having had him for more than 20 years - we know what living with a male ekkie is like. But we don’t know much about the female except for some of the bad wrap we’ve been reading here —*their more aggressive behaviour, how they can become difficult after 4 years of age, their being “hormonal” for a good part of the year and ...being rather nippy. We know these are all generalizations and that you have to take these with a grain of salt as there is much more at play here and that the bird’s environment, how humans react to them and how they were brought up and socialized will definitely have an impact on their personality and their behaviour around people.
We’ve also read that they are relatively short lived compared to some of the other parrot species.
Also, are there any major character traits between the different subspecies: Solomon, Red-Sided, Grand, etc?
So, we’d really like to hear what you experienced owners of both sexes have to say...the good AND ESPECIALLY THE BAD!

labell

Feb 17, 2014
East
Well I have to admit I love the red heads! They are a bit different than the boys, maybe a little more aloof. Can be more cage aggressive but I also think that with proper training and understanding the role the females play in the wild all of these issues are easily overcome.

I have seen males get just as aggressive when hormonal as the females, again I think training can help.

The fact that you had an eclectus means you know the diet requirements and are prepared for that. Many are not. Can I ask what happen to your male, how he died?

The only major difference and concern I have male versus female is egg laying. That is something I have seen get out of hand with some females and measures must be taken to keep the females that do this from depleting their calcium.

I do personally think and have seen that Solomon Island tend to be the calmest, most predictable, stable of the sub species. They also seem to be the least prone to food allergies. Not that SI don't sometimes have diet related issues but on average much less than say Vos.

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
I've had a female ekkie (Maya) since September of last year, and she has been an absolute joy! (Granted, she's only 2.) The main difference I see between her and my male ekkie (both my current and my previous) is that she has been more prone to being a one-person bird. She's really all about being with me, and anyone who holds her while I'm in her line of sight risks being bitten. (We're working on this, but this is the deal at the moment.) This could just be a personality thing rather than a gender thing, but all I can do is share my personal experience.

Jolly, and Bixby before him, is more willing to go to others aside from me.

But she is so loving and nurturing to me, and more precise and gentle with her beak than any bird I've ever had. There are no bite pressure mistakes with her. Ever.

OP
J

junglenutcracker

Apr 25, 2015
Parrots
The fact that you had an eclectus means you know the diet requirements and are prepared for that. Many are not. Can I ask what happen to your male, how he died?

Unfortunately, he died of liver failure. :(

OP
J

junglenutcracker

Apr 25, 2015
Parrots

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
We’ve also read that they are relatively short lived compared to some of the other parrot species.

Eclectus were thought to have shorter lifespans than comparatively sized parrots due to a historic lack of understanding about the specifics of their diets. It's only relatively recently that people have come to understand the importance of a fresh fruit, veggie and legume diet for ekkies, or that supplements and enrichments that were beneficial for other parrots were actually detrimental to eclectus. Their lifespans, given proper diets, are actually very much comparable to those of other medium to large size parrots.

OP
J

junglenutcracker

Apr 25, 2015
Parrots
It's only relatively recently that people have come to understand the importance of a fresh fruit, veggie and legume diet for ekkies, or that supplements and enrichments that were beneficial for other parrots were actually detrimental to eclectus. Their lifespans, given proper diets, are actually very much comparable to those of other medium to large size parrots.

That is good to know as they truly are wonderful birds with entirely different personalities than other parrots. It is true that much more information regarding their specialized diet has been made available in the last 10 years or so.

Rubytheeccie

Jan 22, 2015
Happy Valley, Adelaide, South Australia
Parrots
Ruby 2yo Eclectus
Jade baby Yellow Sided Conure
Pretty Boy male galah
Cocky male galah
I have a 2 1/2 yo SI Eckie (female, Ruby). Credit she is still young but she loves everyone that is in my house and that comes here. She has never bitten me or anyone. She has a very special bond with me and shows me nothing but love and affection. She can be noisy tho but I just laugh at her and tell her if she keps being naughty and noisy she will go to her time out room, most of the time it doesn't work but that is just her pushing her limits.

I was warned that once she matured and started laying eggs she would be aggressive, well this couldn't be further from the truth for Ruby. She laid her first 2 eggs 2 weeks go, she would still let me put my hands in her cage and would even let me handle the eggs (eggs were not fertilised as she is a Single girl). But my point is not all girls are as they are betrayed to be, my Ruby is nothing like what I was warned about when I bought her home. Mind you things could change and if they do I will cross that bridge when I come to it.

For the moment my Ruby Is a sweet loving lady and I am 100% satisfied that I bought her home in January 2015

Maybe I am just lucky with Ruby so only time will tell

Good luck in what ever feathered baby you decide to bring home as your feathered kid xx

I am so sorry to read what happened to your beautiful baby boy. My heart aches for you guys xxx

Last edited:

Taw5106

Mar 27, 2014
Texas
Parrots
Buddy - Red Crowned Amazon (27 yo)
Venus - Solomon Island Eclectus (4 yo)
Buzz CAG (2 yo)
Sam - Cockatiel 1997 - 2004
Tweety - Budgie 1984 - 1987
Sweety - Budgie 1985 - 1986
I have a 2yo female and I love, love, love her! She is very independent but love able too. She likes to come out of her cage so her cage is open all day. I have a GCA and he is a cage potato except for when Venus just lets herself into his cage, he exits quickly. She's so smart, I've had to add a lock on her cage door because she figured out how to open it, she was up early one morning, out of her cage running around the cages. We weren't even up till the tinkle of little bird feet running on bars was heard. She also figured out how to open the little food doors too so I've fixed those doors too.

Recently she has been at the vet's a lot and it looks like it's due to a poor diet. Before I got her, she was on an all seed diet, and it appears to be a major impact to her health. She's on an all fruit and veg diet now but the damage has been done. I think their special diet needs are the most frustrating because you have to be dedicated to ensuring they have a good diet every day. However, I love cooking so making things for my parrots isn't a chore (ok maybe grating the carrot with a garlic grater was a bit tedious but well worth it, lol). You have to be really committed to making sure they have the proper food each day and fresh water too.

While Venus is the mild, quiet, sweeter parrot, Husband calls Buddy The Devil, The Winged Demon, other inappropriate names, lol. Buddy is a one person bird, my bird, he and Husbwnd have a hate/hate relationship, they call a time out when treats are offered and resume as soon as the treat is in Buddy's foot. So no one touchs Buddy, but Venus will go to others after a little warm up time.

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
I had a female Grand Eclectus. Looking back, she must have been unusually docile. I got her from a well known long time Ekkie breeder and expert Laurella Desborough. I didn't know at first what exactly Laurella meant when she said that this bird has an exceptionally "steady" temperament.

Even after maturity, and enough years had gone by to see true temperament, Gryffin had never bitten me at full strength. I'm sure she would have 'eventually' as all parrots do. "Tolerant" is the word that came to mind. Extremely tolerant of many things you wouldn't expect for a parrot of any species, let alone a female Eclectus. Also, she is one of the couple birds I've had who had just let me put a harness right on her without even practicing first, even though she didn't like petting, but again, she'd tolerate me holding her close. She also was not super adventurous, so I could trust her that she'd not get into trouble in the home like some parrots (she was still supervised).

I think she was a definite exception to the rule (from what I hear now) regardless of subspecies. But like any animal, you will occasionally see an individual who did not read the manual on their species :).

Laura (labell) has a wealth of knowledge and experience when it comes to raising keeping parrots, especially Eclectus.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
I've had Angel, my female Vosmaeri for roughly 26 years. We purchased her and a male from a very reputable breeder, both of different lineage. They were both almost completely weaned, and my mom completed their handfeeding - she's successfully hand-raised Goffins from about day-4, but that's another story!!

Angel loves me and some other men, but hates women. In fact, when we brought her home and the carrier was opened, she puffed up and darted at my mom! Hunger stifled her emotions, and she allowed hand-feeding to conclusion.

General characteristics: Angel is rather quiet, though she talks a bit and sounds the characteristic "honk!" Loves healthy "Ekkie" food and is not finicky. Her water dish is rather clean! Always full-feathered, she doesn't actively fly, but glides to the ground as necessary. Enjoys "foraging" about the bird-room and finds soft objects to chew. Almost never engages in play with wooden toys. Doesn't care to hang out with my other parrots except Gabby, a gregarious Goffin. Angel is seriously a cuddler with me, and gives a gentle "cooing" sound. In my experience Eclectus are a bit less expressive and more stoic than other species, though a sampling of two in the same household may not be representative.

Health: Very high-cost as compared with my very hardy Goffins. At around age 10 her appearance deteriorated, leaving heavy down and dingy feathers. Blood chemistry was all normal, though the vet suspected her of thyroid issues. After about 3 years she spontaneously improved with NO change in diet, etc! The last nearly 15 years her feathers are impeccable and vibrant! Go figure.

Roughly 12 years ago the bottom portion of her lower beak became blotchy and rough. Vet interaction yielded no significant diagnosis, though her lower beak is now somewhat deformed, permitting an overgrown upper "scissors beak" resemblance. No problem eating or grooming, though both are trimmed every 3 months or so. Ten years ago she suffered a broken leg when "gliding" to the floor. Seemed to be a freak accident, and her leg was surgically repaired with a pin. Total recovery with no impediment to function.

Last edited:

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
Scott, I do think it might be a good time to include a full body photo of Angel :)! I still remember the absolutlely adorable pic of her face with Gabby's. I have to admit... Vos females are one of the parrot species I drool over! :32: Edit: that sounds bad, to clarify, not to eat but to look at LOL!

Taw5106

Mar 27, 2014
Texas
Parrots
Buzz CAG (2 yo)
Today I took Venus to the vet and after Husband and I went to a restaurant for lunch with outside seating. It's a gorgeous day plus we had Venus. A toddler with her grandparents cane to look at Venus and I took her out of her cage so she could get a good look at her. Please note if Venus had been fully flighted or properly clipped I would do this, but her clip is horrible and the poor thing gets no lift right now. She is so mellow, total opposite of Buddy, lol.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Scott, I do think it might be a good time to include a full body photo of Angel :)! I still remember the absolutlely adorable pic of her face with Gabby's. I have to admit... Vos females are one of the parrot species I drool over! :32: Edit: that sounds bad, to clarify, not to eat but to look at LOL!

I'm such a techno-dope and haven't figured out the Photobucket thing! I can post pics directly from the iPhone, but they are often positioned at various angles! Need to have one of my nieces or nephews clue me in!!

Taw5106

Mar 27, 2014
Texas
Parrots
Buzz CAG (2 yo)
I have the same issue so I go to the photo, edit, rotate to its current position, save it and it stays at the right angle. Go figure. It's irritating but works, lol.

OP
J

junglenutcracker

Apr 25, 2015
Parrots
Good luck in what ever feathered baby you decide to bring home as your feathered kid xx
I am so sorry to read what happened to your beautiful baby boy. My heart aches for you guys xxx

Thanks Rubytheeccie, it is good to discover the other side of these female ekkies which have taken a bad rap based on their reputation as being aggressive.

Yes we do miss our dear Kiwi, thanks for you kind words.

OP
J

junglenutcracker

Apr 25, 2015
Parrots
While Venus is the mild, quiet, sweeter parrot, Husband calls Buddy The Devil, The Winged Demon, other inappropriate names, lol. Buddy is a one person bird, my bird, he and Husbwnd have a hate/hate relationship, they call a time out when treats are offered and resume as soon as the treat is in Buddy's foot. So no one touchs Buddy, but Venus will go to others after a little warm up time.
Yes those CAG really are one-person birds. Ours has bonded to me and wants nothing to do with my wife although SHE is the one that feeds him the most often! Lol
How did Buddy react when you first got Venus?

OP
J

junglenutcracker

Apr 25, 2015
Parrots
Today I took Venus to the vet and after Husband and I went to a restaurant for lunch with outside seating. It's a gorgeous day plus we had Venus. A toddler with her grandparents cane to look at Venus and I took her out of her cage so she could get a good look at her. Please note if Venus had been fully flighted or properly clipped I would do this, but her clip is horrible and the poor thing gets no lift right now. She is so mellow, total opposite of Buddy, lol.

Those CAG are pretty high strung and spook easily. I had my CAG on his perch next to me this morning while I was having breakfast —*like I do every morning before everyone gets up. Just the “pop” of the toasts popping out of the toaster got him flying for cover! Lol

Most Reactions