Greedy Eclectus

Talaya

Apr 26, 2022
Media
Parrots
Han Solo - SI Male Eclectus
Hi all,

I was just wondering how many have greedy Eclectus.

Solo gets his chop everyday, plus pieces of other veg/fruit. .he always eats everything and sometimes wants more. He is so greedy.

we had to go to the vet last month and the vert checked him over and said he was the perfect fat ratio on his body. (446g)
so I know that he is being fed enough. He gets two main meals plus one Small snack time, sometimes two. (Snack time might just be an Almond and 6 pumpkin seeds)

is everybodies Eclectus greedy ?

saxguy64

Staff member
Super Moderator
Apr 24, 2018
Media
Albums
Maine, USA
Parrots
Tucker the Red Sided Eclectus
Baxter the YNA
Avery the CAG
Patches the Grand Eclectus, my best friend. RIP
Cuckoo the BFA RIP
Short answer, yes! My guy is an absolute pig! I always find it interesting that ekkies have a reputation for being "perch potatoes" or "boring." Tucker is extremely active. He's just busy, and an exceptional flier around the house. Fair to say, he burns off the calories :) He's also fond of trying to sneak into the other cages to steal food, so that's another reason he doesn't have time out with the others. Too much potential for bickering. 🙄

OP
Talaya

Talaya

Apr 26, 2022
Media
Parrots
Short answer, yes! My guy is an absolute pig! I always find it interesting that ekkies have a reputation for being "perch potatoes" or "boring." Tucker is extremely active. He's just busy, and an exceptional flier around the house. Fair to say, he burns off the calories :) He's also fond of trying to sneak into the other cages to steal food, so that's another reason he doesn't have time out with the others. Too much potential for bickering. 🙄
Oh that’s great, thank you
yes Solo is always active too. He does stop at about 2:30 for about half an hour or so then he’s off again, playing on his tree, or digging through his toy box. He has a 2 or 3 min fly until he’s panting then stops. So I guess he burns quite a lot of calories too. I hadn’t thought of that.
it’s been really interesting watching him fly over the last 18 months.
His first ever flight was in our lounge about 3/4 foot, and he was panting. so I’ve been able to watch him gradually self build up his flight strength. He can now do about 5 flights of 25 foot before hes out of breath. Yes he too is quite adept flier, The landing skills still need work though 🤣

Last edited:

AZAnnie

May 18, 2023
Parrots
Male Eclectus Parrot
Male Green Cheeked Yellow Sided Conure
Turquoise Conure
Hi all,

I was just wondering how many have greedy Eclectus.

Solo gets his chop everyday, plus pieces of other veg/fruit. .he always eats everything and sometimes wants more. He is so greedy.

we had to go to the vet last month and the vert checked him over and said he was the perfect fat ratio on his body. (446g)
so I know that he is being fed enough. He gets two main meals plus one Small snack time, sometimes two. (Snack time might just be an Almond and 6 pumpkin seeds)

is everybodies Eclectus greedy ?
My male eclectus, Celery runs hot and cold with food. If he likes something, he will eat until I think he will explode. But other times, he is Mr. Picky Pants and doesn't like a thing that I offer him. Just when I think I've found his favorite fruit or vegetable, he is off of that one and on to something new.

Is Solo a slow eater? Celery likes to take his time and investigate everything I have given him then he slowly munches on it until he decides he has had enough. In contrast, my conures plow through food like it is going out of style!

OP
Talaya

Talaya

Apr 26, 2022
Media
Parrots
My male eclectus, Celery runs hot and cold with food. If he likes something, he will eat until I think he will explode. But other times, he is Mr. Picky Pants and doesn't like a thing that I offer him. Just when I think I've found his favorite fruit or vegetable, he is off of that one and on to something new.

Is Solo a slow eater? Celery likes to take his time and investigate everything I have given him then he slowly munches on it until he decides he has had enough. In contrast, my conures plow through food like it is going out of style!
Hi Annie, Solo does take his time, he will turn everything over looking for the best bits. chucking items Out the bowl.. He really doesn’t like bell peppers and I’ve seen him carry chunks to the door to drop it out. He usually takes about 40 mins to eat dinner but will go back half an hour later to eat again. He also goes off things, he did like celery & cucumber but hasn’t eaten them now for a month.

kme3388

Sep 17, 2021
Minnesota, USA
Parrots
Eclectus Parrot: Nico (male)
Jenday Conure: Kiwi (female)
Nico is very fond of food. At the shelter I got him from they had to move him to the “large” parrot area with macaws, and cockatoos because in the “small-medium” parrot area Nico was stealing all of the other parrots food, and being a bully.

I’m pretty sure he had human food too in his past. He is a stage five clinger if someone opens a bag of potato chips. I don’t eat in front of Nico unless he can have whatever it is that I’m eating. He begs!

AZAnnie

May 18, 2023
Parrots
Male Eclectus Parrot
Turquoise Conure
Hi Annie, Solo does take his time, he will turn everything over looking for the best bits. chucking items Out the bowl.. He really doesn’t like bell peppers and I’ve seen him carry chunks to the door to drop it out. He usually takes about 40 mins to eat dinner but will go back half an hour later to eat again. He also goes off things, he did like celery & cucumber but hasn’t eaten them now for a month.
Celery tosses out everything orange. He will move other fruits and vegetables around, but he gets really aggressive with anything orange. I have to hide orange food by chopping it up with other vegetables or herbs. If anyone knows of a solution to the hate of orange food, I could use the advice!

Fluffonia

Aug 4, 2023
Media
Slovenia
Parrots
Red sided ekkie female -
Ruby
Hatchingday- 14th of May, 2023
Hi and yes, my ekkie is Very greedy. She always wants more when she finished her meal. And she is a absolute chatterbox. But because she is still small we can’t really identify what she’s saying, she also mimics all the sounds around the house!

saxguy64

Staff member
Super Moderator
Apr 24, 2018
Media
Albums
Maine, USA
Parrots
Tucker the Red Sided Eclectus
Baxter the YNA
Avery the CAG
Patches the Grand Eclectus, my best friend. RIP
Cuckoo the BFA RIP
My guy talks a little, and when he does, he has the sweetest little boy voice. Mostly, he chooses to do various sound effects. Dripping water, and individual barks of all three of my dogs, plus the neighbor's dogs outside are his favorites lately. Cute, but totally confusing sometimes. He and my grey have started teaching each other their favorites, and now it's just about impossible to know who said what. 🤣

BurdLove

Jul 20, 2023
Parrots
Cockatiel Nigel
Senegal Olivia
GreencheeckConure Loki
Goffin Cockatoo Beanz
M
My Senne is like that some

OP
Talaya

Talaya

Apr 26, 2022
Media
Parrots
Celery tosses out everything orange. He will move other fruits and vegetables around, but he gets really aggressive with anything orange. I have to hide orange food by chopping it up with other vegetables or herbs. If anyone knows of a solution to the hate of orange food, I could use the advice!
I found Solo didn’t like red foods.. I got a bean pod and carefully removed the beans, then I would stuff the pod with red or orange items. He would eat most of them once he had to forage to get them out.

Last edited:
OP
Talaya

Talaya

Apr 26, 2022
Media
Parrots
Nom nom nom tonight’s dinner.
The cube on the lower right, is a cube from
”curry coolers“ I make it and freeze them in ice cubes, there is usually a piece of nut of some sort in the middle.

Attachments

• IMG_6660.jpeg
    IMG_6660.jpeg
    278.4 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:

AZAnnie

May 18, 2023
Parrots
Male Eclectus Parrot
Turquoise Conure
I found Solo didn’t like red foods.. I got a bean pod and carefully removed the beans, then I would stuff the pod with red or orange items. He would eat most of them once he had to forage to get them out.
Brilliant idea! Thank you, I will try it!

Most Reactions

Latest posts