Singing Happy or Lonely

stony

Aug 7, 2015
The past 2 nights, I noticed my parakeet is ,I guess what you could call singing. Is he/she doing this because they are happy or are they trying to call out to other birds because there lonely ? Why do birds sing ?

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
My English budgie is quiet, she only chirps. But I've found that the "standard" type is typically very noisy. They will chirp, scream, sing whether or not they have company or not. I believe that budgies are vocal when they feel good. When Twigs was adjusting to his new cage, he was very quiet, but as soon as he adjusted he started singing and screaming and playing again.

OP
S

stony

Aug 7, 2015
I have been thinking about a companion. I am at work all day, then many times I go out after work. I ordered a large flight cage, bought several toys from pet shop.He/she is alone most of the time, would it be better to get more friends for him? Do parakeets live in flocks?

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
They do live in flocks in the wild. I think it's pretty safe to say budgies appreciate a partner or a bonded budgie pal. A lot of people that keep budgies have two or more. A single budgie will usually bond and interact with humans more readily and more quickly than if you have more than one. You can still interact and train multiple birds but it can be a little harder.

Most Reactions

Latest posts