Sites, Books ect for Tricks

flick

Dec 3, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Parrots
Mochi (Green Cheek Conure)
Hi there,

I'm new to the forums and firstly just wanted to say a big thank you to everyone for providing such a great resource.

I brought home Mochi (Green Cheek Conure, nearly 6 months old) in September. I absolutely adore her and feel like I've been immensely lucky to have found such a great little bird.

I've been really enjoying training her, which she also seems to have taken to. We started with target training and since then, she has learned to wave, eagle trick, spin, retrieve, place objects into a small box and recently to put coins into a piggy-bank box. I also regularly practice recall training (walking) with her. Her wing was damaged when she was a baby so she is unable to perform any flying tricks.

I'm really keen to keep teaching her new skills but am struggling to find a heap more online in terms of trick ideas, tutorials ect. I've looked quite a bit on youtube (mainly flock-talk, parrot wizard, nowcast), tried to search forums (apologise if I have missed any great threads here) and read the Clicker training for Parrots book.

Anyway, I'd greatly appreciate any tricks, tutorials, sites, books - anything, that anyone might have. I am keen to teach Mochi the roll-over / play dead trick but I'm taking this slowly as she's a bit cautious when I try to gently roll her.

Thanks for your time!

Ed

ps. I've attached some pics of her hanging out with my girlfriend (who also loves to spoil Mochi).

Attachments

• IMG_2287.jpg
    IMG_2287.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG_2184.jpg
    IMG_2184.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 142
Last edited:

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Welcome to you and Mochi, thanks for joining!! Kudos for adopting a less than physically perfect bird.

The Training forum has three "sticky" threads illustrating Clicker training, Bite pressure training, and Harness training.

A member created a thread with links to varied training sources: http://www.parrotforums.com/training/72250-free-training-resources.html

Good luck, training is a deeply bonding experience that can prove extremely beneficial for most any bird.

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
You may also want to search out the videos of Fargo the Macaw! Fargo's mum used to be a member of this forum but she's gotten pretty busy with life now-a-days. Still, he's learned a lot of great and fun tricks! :)

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
You can run thru all of Saltys videos, link below. He goes down a slide, Pushes a little shopping cart , will pull the Kings from a deck of cards , climbs thru a section of PVC pipe, Shakes hands, Gives high 5, plays a kiddie xylophone, a kiddies piano, stacks and un stacks cups, plays dead, spins around on a chop stick, does the colored ring tricks, and more.

Most Reactions