Sitters

Keupi

Aug 16, 2007
Connecticut
Parrots
Keupi - a Senegal.
Hi All!

I'm currently in the process of interviewing parrot-sitters. I must admit, though, I was trained (and spoiled) by my last one when I lived in NJ. (She's also the one who I credit with saving Keupi's life last year because after we 'ruled' out poisons - she's the one who remembered his house and put together the towel rolls and stuff - led to metals test - led to diagnosis.)

I know I have a list of things I expect from my sitter. I also know my fid and pulled together (she loved it - and used the format with her other clients) a looseleaf binder with my fid's 'stuff' (eg, emerg #s, likes/dislikes, command reference, microchip infor, etc. - I should market it).

Here's my Q... what do you look for in a sitter? My base is my fid. I also tend to 'test' sitters by having them come in before my trip but while I'm out. For example, if I'm going to be at a meeting in the morning, I'll have (and pay) them to come in and go through the morning. Or, if I'm going out at night, I'll schedule them to come in and take care of night. (I do have them come in twice daily.)

So, what do you expect from a sitter? How do you pick a sitter? What do you give to your sitter regarding information, etc.? I know that the manual I provide is pretty good, but I was well-trained.

ETA - make sure you check the references. One of the potentials - I just heard from two references that he/she is a bit too curious about the owner. Seems he/she is great with pets but peruses through the personal stuff. I thought he/she was a little nosy on the initial interview but... whoa.

Last edited:

Deanna

Jun 25, 2007
Media
Colorado, USA
Parrots
Mojo the magnificent Maximillian Pionus; Cecil the clowny Senegal; and, Timothy the shy, fearful Parrotlet
Kuepi, your binder is perfect. Every pet sitter should have a client as well atuned to the pet sitting process as you are. (I am an ex-professional dog walker and pet sitter--I owned my business for nearly 3 1/2 years).

And, yes, you SHOULD market your material. There is a varied audience that would welcome this type of information/guideance ... both professional sitters and concerned pet owners.

It is an excellent idea to have a sitter sit while you are readily available (in-town) as a good, solid dry run. That way questions can be asked and answered, miscommunication (if present) can be cleared up ... advisements can be made. (IMHO it should not be paid, that is just a part of service).

Main concern? Your gut feeling. Trust. Do you trust the person to act in accordance with the needs of your pet? If not, keep looking. Trust your instincts. ;)

Best of luck to you ... it is a tiring process as we worry so much about the care of our loved ones.

Deanna

Jun 25, 2007
Media
Colorado, USA
Parrots
Mojo the magnificent Maximillian Pionus; Cecil the clowny Senegal; and, Timothy the shy, fearful Parrotlet
...ETA - make sure you check the references. One of the potentials - I just heard from two references that he/she is a bit too curious about the owner. Seems he/she is great with pets but peruses through the personal stuff. I thought he/she was a little nosy on the initial interview but... whoa.

That is not good. Rule: close all doors you wish to be LEFT SHUT in your absence. The pet sitter should never venture into a 'closed door room'.

Deanna

Jun 25, 2007
Media
Colorado, USA
Parrots
Post note edit: ... I'm going to revise what I just wrote.

I use a closed door policy because I am very private, but also moreso because my house is usually a disaster zone. I rather keep my doors closed and not be entered so I can hide my poor housekeeping skills.

A pet sitter is also responsible for your home/dwelling. And a positive, trusting relationship should exist between who you choose and yourself. You should be able to leave all doors open without fear/wondering of whether or not someone is rummaging through your personal belongings. With an open home, your pet sitter is able to check windows and outside doors for safety reasons.

I personally, because I was responsible for both pets and dwellings, also checked all obvious plumbing sources for leaks (I had 4 MAJOR floods during my tenure). My clients trusted me enough to check beneath all sinks, toilets, utility closets, hot water heaters, etc. etc. etc. And, it was sort of an "invasive" process, but necessary. I never strayed off course into anyone's personal belongings ... and my clients trusted me in this regard. Again, it comes back to trust.

OP
K

Keupi

Aug 16, 2007
Connecticut
Parrots
Keupi - a Senegal.
Post note edit: ... I'm going to revise what I just wrote.

I use a closed door policy because I am very private, but also moreso because my house is usually a disaster zone. I rather keep my doors closed and not be entered so I can hide my poor housekeeping skills.

A pet sitter is also responsible for your home/dwelling. And a positive, trusting relationship should exist between who you choose and yourself. You should be able to leave all doors open without fear/wondering of whether or not someone is rummaging through your personal belongings. With an open home, your pet sitter is able to check windows and outside doors for safety reasons.

I personally, because I was responsible for both pets and dwellings, also checked all obvious plumbing sources for leaks (I had 4 MAJOR floods during my tenure). My clients trusted me enough to check beneath all sinks, toilets, utility closets, hot water heaters, etc. etc. etc. And, it was sort of an "invasive" process, but necessary. I never strayed off course into anyone's personal belongings ... and my clients trusted me in this regard. Again, it comes back to trust.

I'm on the tad neurotic about his care.

My first and primary interest is my baby. I expect and trained him to be a spoiled bird but not a spoiled brat. He's been in cars, on boats, and on trains (not planes... yet) and with the exception of the time in the women's bathroom he wolf-whistled (the woman in the stall next to me almost had a heart attack), without incident. My attitude is that there are limits but I don't put Keupi (nor any animal) in a situation where what's natural is going to become trouble. At the same time, while I'm away he's going to play up his despair (which is doubly guilted upon return), and some rules are going to be abandoned. (Heck, he loves Grandma's mashed potatoes and had her making them for him for a week because that was the only thing she 'saw' him eating. Never mind the shucked shells, never mind the kabobs - "he only ate the potatoes...") I expect that. However he's not going to lunge and bite at you (and if he does, Nicely Now will stop it - it's his test) or go sashying across the floor or attack you.

He's also done educational classrooms with junior high students without incident.

I'm so off-topic and I don't know where, but I do know this much regarding my interviews (and I have given thought about my binder - every one I've interviewed has said its a great reference), you're there primarily to take care of my fid not go nosing around in my drawers.

At the same time, I also know I was so spoiled (and trained) by my sitter in NJ. She left a note, every time she came, about everything. (Albeit, one or two started with 'He's a little ****'...) The key event was when I was in the middle car of a 3 car collision 75 miles away and I called her in the midst of the aftermath (all alive, car totalled, not my fault). She took care of my fid on a moments notice and left a dinner in the fridge to heat up.

(BTW - if anyone is looking for a great pet-sitter in Northern NJ - PM me and I'll give you her information. I tried to get her to move to CT with me, but... imagine - she wouldn't leave her husband, business, and life to do so... the nerve!!!:07:)

I'm neurotic about Keupi but I expect things to go 'awry' when I'm not there. As he's my most precious possession anything regarding a sitter's judgment I'm ok with. I do think that sitters should have every bit of information available (that's my binder) so that when I'm away they can deal. Keupi's going to have fun with them. If, God forbid, something medical develops - they need to do what's necessary and in their best judgment. All's in the binder - including a signed release to give them discretion (and recoup of costs) for care.

But, in regards to the curiosity... well let's just say I don't mind if he/she took care of a leak or stop-up by calling management, but there had better be a full out flood before tapping into my, um, delicates drawer, to stem the waters...

Minzer84

Mar 14, 2007
Massachusetts
Parrots
Iggy- YCA
I understand some of what you're going through, I guess I'm lucky to go to vet school, where there are an endless supply of people knowledgable about all kinds of animals...but it was still hard to trust someone to take care of my babies like I did...I was most worried about Iggy. One girl replied with "Well I would have to charge you (basically up the butt) for the difficulty and travel." Excuse me? Difficulty?? Honey, if it's gonna be that difficult for you, don't bother. I ended up with a great girl who I work with who did better for my animals than even I do. I guess that's what your old pet sitter was like...I think I've gone off topic as well now. I moved up here from CT, what part of the state do you live in? I used to live about 10 minutes from UConn. Damn, off topic again. But, back on topic, your gut instincts are what truly matter, and how Keupi feels about the person upon meeting them...birds are a great judge of character, as we all probably know. Best of luck at finding a great sitter, sounds like you know what you're looking for and going through the necessary steps to get it. :)

OP
K

Keupi

Aug 16, 2007
Connecticut
Parrots
Keupi - a Senegal.
I understand some of what you're going through, I guess I'm lucky to go to vet school, where there are an endless supply of people knowledgable about all kinds of animals...but it was still hard to trust someone to take care of my babies like I did...I was most worried about Iggy. One girl replied with "Well I would have to charge you (basically up the butt) for the difficulty and travel." Excuse me? Difficulty?? Honey, if it's gonna be that difficult for you, don't bother. I ended up with a great girl who I work with who did better for my animals than even I do. I guess that's what your old pet sitter was like...I think I've gone off topic as well now. I moved up here from CT, what part of the state do you live in? I used to live about 10 minutes from UConn. Damn, off topic again. But, back on topic, your gut instincts are what truly matter, and how Keupi feels about the person upon meeting them...birds are a great judge of character, as we all probably know. Best of luck at finding a great sitter, sounds like you know what you're looking for and going through the necessary steps to get it. :)

What a blessing you are to go to vet school. Between my little cousins and godchildren (ever spend all night at emergi-vet with a guinea pig in a laundry basket who had a bladder infection), my ex-fiance (that's a beautiful 18 foot Burmese Python honey... btw if she comes near me I'll have a set of boots, belt and purse... at the breakup though... you all can determine what skin it would actually have been made off - snake variety but not python...), and my friends - one of which left me with a kitty gone psycho and a budgie with a broken wing...

Mind you, I didn't mind any of it (though Esther, the python, took a bit of getting used to). With sitting, you need to go with the flow. Heck, did I mention while one guinea pig was having the laundry basket and bladder infection, I also had a 4 foot plastic pool in my living room because they (there were two) needed to 'run' each day. I'm not exactly the most cuddly rodent fanatic in the bunch, however after said GP1 (there were two) got her prescription and I hand fed her for a week ( it's a rodent thing) I was highly offended when I took her back to the vet and he wouldn't write me a 'kindly' prescription for me. While I was grateful to turn the two guinea pigs back over to my godchild to this day I can't understand why I didn't garner a little um, 'help' in exchange. (I think my parents the following year were considering 'clinical' issues - they came to visit and had to walk around a pool, two guinea pigs, my Fritzy... and did I mention - I'm allergic to hay.)

So, I'm fully on the side of sitters. But my baby better be taken care of...

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
I tried to get her to move to CT with me, but... imagine - she wouldn't leave her husband, business, and life to do so... the nerve!!!:07:)

I cannot believe it, the nerve of some people. :D

Firstly I would look for someone that my fids like, they are my main concern. Also I would look at the person and how they would be around my fids. A lot of people here are okay with the little ones but don't take any notice of the grey guys. :mad: I've yet to find someone that we are all 100% happy with. If I like them the guys don't, if they like them I don't. :D I don't know whats gonna happen when I have to go away somewhere.

I also love the folder idea. I have all instructions written down but that was mainly for when I'm gone. :D

pheobus

Jun 14, 2007
Media
I also love the folder idea.

Please can you explain what that is?:D

You are lucky about this!I've said it before in some post that there is not such thing as pet sitters here!We luck more basical things for pet birds, but I won't bring this subject up now as it would take me hours to stop talking...:mad:

I try to avoid unecessary absensies but when I will have to go somewhere I have a good friend that I can trust she will take good care of my fids coz she loves them too...

NicoleN

Jan 15, 2007
Media
Michigan
Parrots
Sisqo & GiGi-DYH & BF Amazons

Snow & Blue-Budgies
My aunt usually watches our animals, but I know that she wouldn't be able to take care of the birds, so when we went on our last trip, I had them boarded. The place I was originally going to board them at would not give them medicine, would clip their wings if they flew in the store (Sisqo's fully flighted), would only give them pellets or seeds....no fresh stuff, did not require medical records showing the birds had no illness (!) and had been broken into the month before and had 7 of their birds that they had been boarding stolen. Their solution to the problem? Padlock the cages.

Umm...no thank you.

Next time I'll take them to Gigi's vet. They board 'companions' there and I know they'll be taken care of.

OP
K

Keupi

Aug 16, 2007
Connecticut
Parrots
Keupi - a Senegal.
I've given this some more thought... as I'm still interviewing... but...

I know full well when I'm gone that things are not going to be the same as to when I'm there. It's a stressful time for my fid. At the same time, I also apply the 'baby-sitter' mentality in expectation. I expect him to work the sitter's last point of guilt - 'Mom always gives me an entire corn on the cob with a french fry and potato chip crust - every day.' I also tell them, up front, that he's going to do that and if they get worried that he's not eating... it's fine to succomb. It's a week, at most, not a lifetime. That's why I require them to also leave me a note every time (kept on file - you'll see).

At the same time, and in regards to the folder issue, I leave a binder. In it, there are emergency numbers, his microchip information, food loves and bads, behavior things, his medical records and history, and a letter giving the sitter authority to make decisions should medical care be necessary and notice that all costs will be reimbursed. I give a heck of a lot over to the person I trust to care for my fid. In addition, are the pet-sitters notes from the past and they are included to help them. Once I pick a sitter, chances are I'll never know anything more than what they write. I can truly appreciate the reality of a four word message - 'he's a little ****' in the morning and then in the evening, he did this and ate this and we had a delightful time. I'm prepared for the idea Keupi's going to swing from the curtains and live off of potato chips and french fries while I'm away ... wouldn't you?

From the latest round of interviews - I actually am thinking about marketing it. It's a guide not only of my fid but also can be adapted towards any pet. He's actually really good but it's also clear in the reality of what a pet-sitter needs, and what I expect from a sitter.

I'm still unglued over the references. Keupi liked that individual, and via the references, all pets like this person. Unfortunately, as much as I know my fid likes him/her I would never be comfortable with this individual in my home, much less having a key to my home. I don't think he/she would ever harm an animal but the invasions of privacy are a bit too much to discount.

Deanna

Jun 25, 2007
Media
Colorado, USA
Parrots
I've given this some more thought... as I'm still interviewing... but...

I know full well when I'm gone that things are not going to be the same as to when I'm there. It's a stressful time for my fid. At the same time, I also apply the 'baby-sitter' mentality in expectation. I expect him to work the sitter's last point of guilt - 'Mom always gives me an entire corn on the cob with a french fry and potato chip crust - every day.' I also tell them, up front, that he's going to do that and if they get worried that he's not eating... it's fine to succomb. It's a week, at most, not a lifetime. That's why I require them to also leave me a note every time (kept on file - you'll see).

At the same time, and in regards to the folder issue, I leave a binder. In it, there are emergency numbers, his microchip information, food loves and bads, behavior things, his medical records and history, and a letter giving the sitter authority to make decisions should medical care be necessary and notice that all costs will be reimbursed. I give a heck of a lot over to the person I trust to care for my fid. In addition, are the pet-sitters notes from the past and they are included to help them. Once I pick a sitter, chances are I'll never know anything more than what they write. I can truly appreciate the reality of a four word message - 'he's a little ****' in the morning and then in the evening, he did this and ate this and we had a delightful time. I'm prepared for the idea Keupi's going to swing from the curtains and live off of potato chips and french fries while I'm away ... wouldn't you?

From the latest round of interviews - I actually am thinking about marketing it. It's a guide not only of my fid but also can be adapted towards any pet. He's actually really good but it's also clear in the reality of what a pet-sitter needs, and what I expect from a sitter.

I'm still unglued over the references. Keupi liked that individual, and via the references, all pets like this person. Unfortunately, as much as I know my fid likes him/her I would never be comfortable with this individual in my home, much less having a key to my home. I don't think he/she would ever harm an animal but the invasions of privacy are a bit too much to discount.

Keupi ... the information that you leave in your binder is very important, but it is not new to the professional sitting community (I'm assuming you are looking at qualified, bonded and insured individuals). There are two professional pet sitting organizations (the one I am a member of is www.petsit.com) and they offer a whole community of resources for their members. A professional (or otherwise) pet sitter should not wait for you to hand them an Authorization for Emergent Pet Care Need ... they should present to you a prepared for to sign and always keep that on fie and in their possession.

As far as assuming that one's fid will eat French fries and potato chips during your entire absence ... well, in my business--that did not happen. The goal of pet sitting is to as closely as possible mimic (within reason and finances) their daily routines.

~anna

Deanna

Jun 25, 2007
Media
Colorado, USA
Parrots
... Once I pick a sitter, chances are I'll never know anything more than what they write. I can truly appreciate the reality of a four word message - 'he's a little ****' in the morning and then in the evening, he did this and ate this and we had a delightful time.....

Also, if you wish to speak with your pet sitter at length after you return (and your pet sitter doesn't AUTOMATICALLY do this ... as a course of business), call her...visit with her, get the details you are wishing to obtain. There is nothing wrong in doing that at all. I, personally, spoke directly with my clients upon their return--I always also had an open door, always available policy.

Also, think you mentioned that the one sitter you liked at your previous home automatically made arrangements for extended pet sitting after you'd had an accident that delayed your return. THAT SHOULD BE AUTOMATIC and written in the contract. Very clearly. A pet sitter is responsible until you physically step foot back onto your property ... they should continue to make visits until they are contacted by you or one of your contacts. The is not the exception to the rule, that is the rule. :) (Of a good, responsible pet sitter, anyway).

OP
K

Keupi

Aug 16, 2007
Connecticut
Parrots
Keupi - a Senegal.
Also, if you wish to speak with your pet sitter at length after you return (and your pet sitter doesn't AUTOMATICALLY do this ... as a course of business), call her...visit with her, get the details you are wishing to obtain. There is nothing wrong in doing that at all. I, personally, spoke directly with my clients upon their return--I always also had an open door, always available policy.

Also, think you mentioned that the one sitter you liked at your previous home automatically made arrangements for extended pet sitting after you'd had an accident that delayed your return. THAT SHOULD BE AUTOMATIC and written in the contract. Very clearly. A pet sitter is responsible until you physically step foot back onto your property ... they should continue to make visits until they are contacted by you or one of your contacts. The is not the exception to the rule, that is the rule. :) (Of a good, responsible pet sitter, anyway).

Actually, my accident had no pre-arranged pet-sitting. It was actually the one moment where I had no control but I knew I had to take care of Keupi. I had driven down to pick her up. Keupi was going to travel with us the next day, by car and normally. I didn't expect to be caught about 50-75 miles away, in an accident that we were lucky enough to walk away from, with no car and not knowing whether I could physically make it back to him. I left that morning to pick her up and expected to return that evening to my home. The next day, with fid (going to Grandma and Grandpa's), we we're going to attend my future SIL's shower.

After my car was sandwiched between two (middle car of a three car), and being that it was a Friday on the Jersey shore... I had different levels of panic happening. First and foremost was the fact that my aunt and I had to climb out of my car through the passenger window (and she was in her 70's). Second, was dealing with the scene itself - even the police officer couldn't believe we walked away. Third is just your state of mind with that - getting the basics taken care of. One of those basics was my fid.

I was able to get a rental that night and we did get back to my house that night and to the shower the following day.

However, in the midst of the unknown, I called her and couldn't tell her how long/what was the length of time/ nor a darned thing except I'm in South Jersey, I've been in an accident and I need to make sure Keupi's cared for.

What I know is she knew where everything was (including my binder), came in and cared for him, and also left a casserole (yes, she did). It was the only time in our history when I didn't have the payment made out in advance. To this day I also don't think I paid her enough for her services because I don't really remember most of that week - we made it to the shower, and I drove a car but I don't remember any of it. She had 'the book' (our reference ) and I just wrote the check out (afterward) for what she said.

I always have and will always do the phone call afterwards. You're right - it's normal. I'm dealing with interviews now (and damn her... she didn't move with me...but I love her anyway - and she's also the one who save his life - after the first round of tests we dismissed poison but she's the one who came up with metals.).

My expectations are clear though. A lot of responsibility is place in a sitters hands. At the same time, I'd worry if my fid didn't exploit every boundary set.

Needless to say I probably shouldn't expect (nor do I) the same from the gem I had in Jersey, but I have issues when I have to worry about my own drawers and closets... which apparently he/she is a tad bit curious about. Great with the pets but...

Deanna

Jun 25, 2007
Media
Colorado, USA
Parrots
...However, in the midst of the unknown, I called her and couldn't tell her how long/what was the length of time/ nor a darned thing except I'm in South Jersey, I've been in an accident and I need to make sure Keupi's cared for.

My expectations are clear though. A lot of responsibility is place in a sitters hands. At the same time, I'd worry if my fid didn't exploit every boundary set.

Your first quote above ... this is the reason to have an established relationship with a Professional Pet Sitter. What she did in the situation is what any professional pet sitter would do. Emergencies/family deaths always took priority in my business. I'm just saying, in the professional pet sitting world this is not unusual, but expected service and behavior.

Your second quote ... Yes, a lot of responsibility is placed upon a Professional Pet Sitter ... that is why they cost so much ;) ... I don't really understand why you expect your fiddie to exploit every boundary set? I didn't run into that scenario very often at all. But, all animals/fids are different.

OP
K

Keupi

Aug 16, 2007
Connecticut
Parrots
Keupi - a Senegal.
Your first quote above ... this is the reason to have an established relationship with a Professional Pet Sitter. What she did in the situation is what any professional pet sitter would do. Emergencies/family deaths always took priority in my business. I'm just saying, in the professional pet sitting world this is not unusual, but expected service and behavior.

Your second quote ... Yes, a lot of responsibility is placed upon a Professional Pet Sitter ... that is why they cost so much ;) ... I don't really understand why you expect your fiddie to exploit every boundary set? I didn't run into that scenario very often at all. But, all animals/fids are different.

Ah, Keupi won't exploit every one... but lands sakes - he's going to have a little fun with Mom away. Generally, at times, he's a little sh#4 and so be it.

I'm on the side of the pet sitter as I would think most parents of kids would be with a baby-sitter. I don't think that a pet-sitter is going to mimic everything I do daily. The kids, or in this case, fids are willing to go with a flow but there's a proverbial plan and an expectation of trust that the plan may go awry.

Honestly, it's true that most fids (and kids) will conform. But, like a kid, no animal (all animals) aren't going to push a few limits. And just like any baby-sitter, you pick your battles. I've pet-sat numerous times, not as a professional (but lord knows I also faced the idea (let alone the laundry basket) that my godchild's guinea pig needed hand-feeding and an antibiotic - the offset would have been explaining to her that her guinea pig died.) I'm sorry, but I just don't understand the conflict.

However, at the same time, the pet-sitter I choose shouldn't feel free to go through my underwear drawer. Given that I'm giving over a key to my home, I don't think in picking and choosing, that's a fact I should ignore.

Overall, I think in what I provide and what I expect is not beyond the bounds of pet-sitting.

OP
K

Keupi

Aug 16, 2007
Connecticut
Parrots
Keupi - a Senegal.
Uh, sorry? :confused:

I think we're speaking the same language but not the same dialect.

I'm confused by 'exploitation' comment. While I hope Keupi behaves like the little angel his is... I'm not going to lie about the fact that he's an angel with a 'horned halo.' That's not exploitation, that's reality. I don't expect a sitter to handle that but I do expect that my 'perfect darling' can be 'a little sh#$. At the same time, I do think it's reasonable to think they're going to 'get away with murder' as life is not going to be the same when I'm away.

He's my perfect darling. He also has a halo hanging off of his horns. When I'm away he's going to stress... and play off. As the toys will not change, food is the chip.

Overall, if he eats all the treats for a week, that's fine.

Most Reactions