Skippah went visiting

Deanna

Jun 25, 2007
Media
Colorado, USA
Parrots
Mojo the magnificent Maximillian Pionus; Cecil the clowny Senegal; and, Timothy the shy, fearful Parrotlet
Dunno why, but Skippah has now decided to eat his fruit loops (advance bird formula, rainbow fruit mix) Its the closest thing I could find to Zootopia. I crushed one for little Gilligan and he liked it, So now Skippah is hoeing into them and letting the crumbs fall to Gilligan underneath. Skippah also seems to be scabbing the budgie mix. Is that ok for him? He seems to like it, or maybe just coz the little one has it, he wants it too?
The 30 hour quarantine went really well.

30 days you say?

I am now putting Gilligan out in the sun for a while coz I cant sit here watching them all day (although I would like to).

Yes, Gilligan, I mean, Red, THIRTY DAYS. (45 day minimum in my book, but I allow for 30 days).

TexDot33

Bird poop and baby poop
Dec 26, 2006
Media
New Hampshire USA
Parrots
15 year-old Sun Conure: Hamlet &
14 year-old Green-Cheeked Conure: Mac
I know that it was really tough for us to keep Hamlet and Mac separated during Mac's first few weeks with us ... did we keep to the 30-day rule - NO! But, Mac did get a full birdy work-up by our vet (and a clean "hook-bill" of health hehehe) before we let him anywhere near Hamlet (plus the fact that we got Mac at a place where we had boarded Hamlet previously so we knew it would be OK) ... I really hope that there is nothing wrong with Gilligan, it would be horrible if something happened that could have easily been prevented!

OP
Redballoon

Redballoon

Dec 24, 2006
Well, they did come from the same breeder, but 8 months apart.
Skippah is well and truly sleeping now the little one is outside. He was getting his nap interrupted every time the little one landed on his perch. We shall take things slow and see if they seek each other out when they are both inside again. The dog is peeved than no one is paying any attention to him and the cat is peeved coz I have locked him out side while the budgie cage was open. Debbie is peeved coz there is bird seed everywhere. My boss is peeved coz I stayed home and took pictures of the birds. I am however, quite pleased with myself.

TexDot33

Bird poop and baby poop
Dec 26, 2006
Media
New Hampshire USA
Parrots
15 year-old Sun Conure: Hamlet &
14 year-old Green-Cheeked Conure: Mac
Well, Red, you can't make everyone happy all of the time, so as long as you and your birds are happy, really who cares about the rest of the world? Well, you might want to make sure that Debbie is happy ... she might be necessary for you here in the next couple of weeks!

OP
Redballoon

Redballoon

Dec 24, 2006
Well, Gilligan just tried to eat out of the same bowl as Skippah, at the same time. Skippah lunged at him with an open beak, (Wide open) and then chased him off his perch. Dunno if its just food or if Skippah is showing his true colours, but that's enough excitement for them for one day. The budgie keeps trying to go back for more, but I'm not sure I want to put my hand in between them both again. The way Skippah advanced on him with his chest puffed out tells me he was miffed. I put the budgie back in his cage and he is going off his nut tweeting and trying to get out the door. If i open the door, he just goes straight over to skippahs perch. Glutton for punishment. I wouldn't be so worried, but Gilligan is not showing any fear at all and may cop a serve if he doesn't learn some manners.

Slowly slowly, catchy monkey.

How do you teach a bird to be patient and thoughtful of others?

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
OMG that is awesome, yep would make me nervous but I know that you are nearby and ready to leap into action if need be. Its really awesome.

OP
Redballoon

Redballoon

Dec 24, 2006
I am not so sure. Skippah is getting more and more anti Gilligan, and Gilligan is trying to get to Skippah every time I let him out. I think I want them to come together more slowly, coz Skippah is chasing the little fellah away all the time now. What does history tell us about bringing different types of bird together?
Anyone got any life affirming hope for me?

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
Fraid not mate, they may never get on, Skippah, was probably weighing the little fella up before he started on him. I've known of larger parrots getting on really well with smaller species but I know of (mine) where they would end up doing serious damage to the smaller guys.

OP
Redballoon

Redballoon

Dec 24, 2006
I will tread carefully and see what happens.
I wont push it and maybe try harder when Gilligan can fly under his own steam.
The biggest problem at the moment is that Gilligan has no fear, so he doesn't move away when Skippah advances on him. Also I think my nerves may be part of the problem, coz I am right there in his face with my hand between them and I may be putting some tension in the air when ever the little one heads over to the big perch.

Keupi

Aug 16, 2007
Connecticut
Parrots
Keupi - a Senegal.
I will tread carefully and see what happens.
I wont push it and maybe try harder when Gilligan can fly under his own steam.
The biggest problem at the moment is that Gilligan has no fear, so he doesn't move away when Skippah advances on him. Also I think my nerves may be part of the problem, coz I am right there in his face with my hand between them and I may be putting some tension in the air when ever the little one heads over to the big perch.

Agree.

There are also flock issues. It was a good 'initial' meeting, but territory was encroached by Gilligan with the food bowl and gym. That's 'Skippah's' If the only 'out' area you have has only been played on by Skippah's - that's Skippah's. Gilligan did a natural thing - he wanted to eat at the same time as his 'flock.' The problem is, that playgym is Skippah's.

The flock is instinct and can't be avoided. They're not going to share that gym if that gym was Skippah's to start. It's Skippah's. Gilligan going to the food bowl, while natural given that Skippah was eating, gave equal rights to Skippah's turf.

Here's an idea - buy a gym for Gilligan (or make an out area for him) but don't let Skippah have any access to it. That's Gilligan's area. At the same time, don't let Gilligan have any access to Skippah's gym. Let them out separately (during 'Quarantine' time) but don't allow them onto each other's houses/gyms. Be patient and just move them to their own without comment if they fly over to the other's.

OP
Redballoon

Redballoon

Dec 24, 2006
Good points.
I will have more confidence in the whole affair when Gilligan can fly under his own steam and get some sense of scale, and stops trying to play with the big boys.
No hurry with these things.

Keupi

Aug 16, 2007
Connecticut
Parrots
Keupi - a Senegal.
Good points.
I will have more confidence in the whole affair when Gilligan can fly under his own steam and get some sense of scale, and stops trying to play with the big boys.
No hurry with these things.

RB...hope I can nomiker...

Hate to say it, but... Gilligan's already playing with the big boys. He tried/did eat food from Skippah's bowl. If you could put both nicely on perches and explain it, well, you'd have the plot set for a Brady Bunch episode.

Little Cindy/Bobby is already dueling with Greg/Marcia, quite naturally. Greg/Marcia has dealt with Cindy or Bobby (go away).

(Sherwood created the Brady Bunch as well as Gilligan's Island so the cross-referencing is...well... cheesy)

Establish turf while on Q. Each fid, separate non-negoitable entities (just move one off the other). You have a little fid fight with a fid-fiefdom in that Skippah's perfectly correct (why should he share?). There's a no-fault on either fid with this one.

OP
Redballoon

Redballoon

Dec 24, 2006
I intend to socially engineer them so they play like siblings, nice ones.
I want Gilligan riding around on Skippahs shoulder in 2 weeks.

Keupi

Aug 16, 2007
Connecticut
Parrots
Keupi - a Senegal.
I intend to socially engineer them so they play like siblings, nice ones.
I want Gilligan riding around on Skippahs shoulder in 2 weeks.

Okey dokey...

So in two weeks time we need to have this thread deleted and never mention intent...

whack me upside with a wing!!

OP
Redballoon

Redballoon

Dec 24, 2006
I would settle for Gilligan pulling Skippah around in a toy chariot.
I try not to demand too much of them.

Most Reactions