Skittles Annual

Skittys_Daddy

Jan 6, 2014
Lewiston, Maine
Parrots
Neotropical Pigeon - "Skittles" (born 3/29/10)
Cockatiel - "Peaches" (1995-2015) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sammy"
(1989-2000) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sandy"
(1987-1989) R.I.P.
Well, Skitty is going to vet tomorrow for his annual. Wish him luck!

I was able to find a ride for $60 plus tolls (cheaper than the $75 I paid last year). (the nearest avian vet is in the Portland area, about an hour away).

The vet bill should only be about $112 (exam, gram stain, nail trim). I'm 'assuming' he won't need blood work or a beak trim.

I have to make a list of questions and concerns to address at his exam.

I'll let you all know how it goes! (Maybe, unless I decide to keep you all in suspense. Depends on how sadistic I feel when I return. haha). :orange:

Last edited:

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
Sounds good!

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
$112 is cheap compared to here on Long Island NY, where our vet gets $100 just to look at Salty. At least our vet has most test equipment in house, so most testing is usually pretty reasonable. Good Luck Skittles!

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
Hoping everything is cool beans with Skitty! :D

Jim

OP
Skittys_Daddy

Skittys_Daddy

Jan 6, 2014
Lewiston, Maine
Parrots
Budgie - "Sammy"
(1989-2000) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sandy"
(1987-1989) R.I.P.
I just got a message from my ride. She has to reschedule. Not too happy about it but nothing I can do about it. I called the vets office and they were really nice about it. So I rescheduled it for next Friday. Have another week to wait. Grr.

I'm sure Skitty is happy about it though! lol.

@Salty Yikes! $100 just for the exam? The exam for Skitty is $63. $15 for the nail trim and $34 for the gram stain. They can do blood work and xrays in-house if need be. They actually do surgeries there too.

But your in NY, things are much more costly in NY and even CT (where my sis and mom live). The cost of living in Maine is very cheap (except in the Portland area) but here in Lewiston, its a poor city so cost of living is relatively low.

OP
Skittys_Daddy

Skittys_Daddy

Jan 6, 2014
Lewiston, Maine
Parrots
Budgie - "Sammy"
(1989-2000) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sandy"
(1987-1989) R.I.P.
Well, I was able to reschedule for this Friday, but my scheduled ride had to back out again (she just started a new job, its not her fault) but I REALLY want to get this appt over with, it just makes me anxious. So a friend of mine was able to find me a ride (the same person who took me last year). I REALLY don't like this person, but beggars can't be choosers and it is for Skitty after all and NOTHING comes between Skitty and what he needs.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Good, cuz I was getting ready to drive up there and give Skitty and you a ride!!

OP
Skittys_Daddy

Skittys_Daddy

Jan 6, 2014
Lewiston, Maine
Parrots
Budgie - "Sammy"
(1989-2000) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sandy"
(1987-1989) R.I.P.
The ride backed out. I can't say I'm surprised. I really didn't want to go with her anyways, I was only doing it to get the appt over with.

So I'm back to my original plan. Good news is, the lady who had to cancel twice (who just started a new job) is still willing to do it so we can just set something up. Hopefully, it'll work out. If not, I still have one more backup- there is a cab driver who offered to do it for $50. He seems nice, but I don't know him too well, so we'll see.

I just need to get my license. I hate having to deal with this every year.

@wrench That's awfully sweet of you to say. I'm hoping it all works out (eventually).

I'll keep you all posted!

LordTriggs

May 11, 2017
Surrey, UK
Parrots
Rio (Yellow sided conure) sadly no longer with us
The ride backed out. I can't say I'm surprised. I really didn't want to go with her anyways, I was only doing it to get the appt over with.

So I'm back to my original plan. Good news is, the lady who had to cancel twice (who just started a new job) is still willing to do it so we can just set something up. Hopefully, it'll work out. If not, I still have one more backup- there is a cab driver who offered to do it for $50. He seems nice, but I don't know him too well, so we'll see.

I just need to get my license. I hate having to deal with this every year.

@wrench That's awfully sweet of you to say. I'm hoping it all works out (eventually).

I'll keep you all posted!

yes definitely get your license!

I got mine in June and I can't tell you how fun driving is

OP
Skittys_Daddy

Skittys_Daddy

Jan 6, 2014
Lewiston, Maine
Parrots
Budgie - "Sammy"
(1989-2000) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sandy"
(1987-1989) R.I.P.
I got it rescheduled for Monday the 21st. Its not with Skitty's regular vet, but its still an avian vet, so it should work.

Still waiting to hear back from the ride to see if it'll work. She said to try for Monday so I did. Hoping it works out.

Update: Yep, its all set for Monday. I'm hoping it goes well. I'm gonna see what the vet says as to whether they recommend a blood panel or not.
I was caught off guard last year when I smelled him (yes, I sniff Skitty, cause he smells like cake! Don't judge!) and he smelled like rubbing alcohol near his neck and I
asked them and they said that is where they drew the blood.

I'll continue to keep you all posted! Wish us luck!

Last edited:
OP
Skittys_Daddy

Skittys_Daddy

Jan 6, 2014
Lewiston, Maine
Parrots
Budgie - "Sammy"
(1989-2000) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sandy"
(1987-1989) R.I.P.
Just thought I'd post a quick update.

I confirmed with my ride again and we are still all set for tomorrow (knock on wood).

The vet Skittles is seeing is not his usual vet BUT he has been seen by him before. It's a husband and wife that run the practice and both are certified avain vets. Our appt is at 12n and its an hour drive so I have to get up at 10:30p the latest. I don't do well in mornings and I hate that I have to take Skitty from his sleep cage into his travel cage. I may just get up a little earlier so he can fly around for 10-15 minutes before we have to leave.

The great thing is, Skittles does very well with travel and the vet. I took him out in his 'travel cage' the other day to get him used to it again, and it went fine.

I'll post the results tomorrow afternoon when I get back.

Wish us luck!

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
Good Luck Skitty!!! ;)

Wish I lived closer...I don't have to be to work until 6:30pm Monday evening...:eek: Would have been happy to give you and Skittles a ride..

Jim

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Good luck to you, hope everything works to schedule. It is Eclipse Day, so that should bring you a dose of luck!!

OP
Skittys_Daddy

Skittys_Daddy

Jan 6, 2014
Lewiston, Maine
Parrots
Budgie - "Sammy"
(1989-2000) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sandy"
(1987-1989) R.I.P.
Just got home from the vet.

Skittles is in perfect health! Heart, lungs great- perfect.

No yeast, perfect balance of gram positive and his weight is great as well.

He also got a nail trim and beak polish.

BIG stress relief!

Last edited:

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
LOL- that's exactly what I want to know - did he get the birdy equivalent of a lollipop?
Good news. Now your vet has a base line to compare with , if anything should be off in the future. Every parrot owner should be taking their birds to get a wellness exam.

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 40-year-old Patagonian Conure
Wonderful!

The Rb goes in for his semi-annual on Wednesday. At his age, I just feel better taking him in twice a year.

OP
Skittys_Daddy

Skittys_Daddy

Jan 6, 2014
Lewiston, Maine
Parrots
Budgie - "Sammy"
(1989-2000) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sandy"
(1987-1989) R.I.P.
Yes, he definitely got a treat.

I tried to give it to him in the car on the ride back but he was still adjusting.

So I gave him one when we got home.

He was a little more stressed than usual on the way back. The vet said Skittles did fine during the beak filing but didn't like having his nails trimmed.

@SlaveOfTheSaltyBird He's been for an annual every year since I got him back in 2011. So they have a good record of him. They didn't do blood work this year, the vet said he saw no reason too.

It ended up costing me $127 total because they did the beak trim. He did lose a small head feather, so I'll have to wait til that grows back in before I update his picture portfolio. I usually like to wait til after he's had a beak polish to do the photo sets.

@SlaveLadyOfTheRickeybird, I think its smart you take the RB in twice a year at his age. If the vet lived closer, I'd do it twice a year too, but given that he's only 7, I am hoping the annual will be enough.

I'm just glad its over with. I can rest easy now. I had an incredibly hard time falling asleep last night and once I did, I kept waking up. I must have slept wrong too, cause my back is killing me. I think the vet visits stress me out more than the birds!

Most Reactions

Latest posts