Skittles goes *you know where* tomorrow!

saxguy64

Staff member
Super Moderator
Apr 24, 2018
Media
Albums
Maine, USA
Parrots
Tucker the Red Sided Eclectus
Baxter the YNA
Avery the CAG
Patches the Grand Eclectus, my best friend. RIP
Cuckoo the BFA RIP
Honestly, I wouldn't be too concerned. It seems like you're doing a great job with him, and his weight seems to be pretty stable. The numbers you are looking at are AVERAGE weights. Some are going to be bigger, and others will be smaller. The difference of a gram or two could be accounted for by when his last snack, drink, or poop was. As long as he's maintaining and not changing more than a few grams either direction, I think you're absolutely fine. Keep up the good work my friend! Skitty is an awesome little guy!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

OP
Skittys_Daddy

Skittys_Daddy

Jan 6, 2014
Lewiston, Maine
Parrots
Neotropical Pigeon - "Skittles" (born 3/29/10)
Cockatiel - "Peaches" (1995-2015) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sammy"
(1989-2000) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sandy"
(1987-1989) R.I.P.
Thats the mindset I was getting to as well. I think its mainly because he's free-flighted that she was concerned.

The thing is, when I took him out of his travel cage, he took off and flew around the room a few times. I finally caught him and gave him to the vet. She listened to his heart rate and lungs and his heart rate was a calm 220 and his lungs were completely clear. She said the fact that his heart and breathing could come right down that quickly after flying is a great sign.

What I don't understand is how he managed to gain weight. It has to be the juice. I switched from orange juice to pure pressed apple juice (he likes both, but really likes the apple juice as do I. It tastes more like cider but its not. Its just apple juice. No added water or anything).

Anyways, last year the vet had me put him on two rounds of pro-biotics because his gram test didn't show a good enough mix of bacteria and this year she said the gram test was perfect blend of pos/neg. I stopped giving him pasta, pizza crust and bread. I even cut back on the power treats. Yet he still gained? I mean I do let him eat cereal with me (cheerios, shredded wheat, specialK) but he doesn't eat much, he mostly just 'sucks the milk' out, I use unsweetened almond milk which the vet said was okay.

Ive sent an email to his breeder to see her thoughts. I send her updates (and new pics) routinely even though I got him through a pet store. The store gave out her information at her request because she likes to know how they are doing. That means she cares a great deal about them which means they are healthy.

I have to be careful not to over-analyze or obsess over this. But having OCD doesn't help, lol, but I've made real progress. I used to call the vet 2 or 3 times a week with a question or concern. lol. Now, I only call about 2 or 3 times a year. If that. But given how much he eats, if I ate as often as he did (even if I were as active as him), I'd probably weigh 300 or 400lbs. He eats at least once every half hour yet only poops about twice ever half hour.

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts