Skitty the Sun Conure & his daddy - The days our lives together.

Kyoto

Mar 18, 2015
Media
Halifax, NS, Canada
Parrots
Kyoto (AKA Kyo)-Green Cheek Conure
Charlie - Canary
Tommy - Budgie
Sunny - budgie
Kyo only weighs 62 grams! She's tiny tiny, but a good weight for her size according to the vet.

StarryEyedGirl

Jan 16, 2015
Connecticut
Parrots
I have one bird. He is a Black Capped Conure and his name is Harley. His hatch date is 2/3/2014.
That's how I first discovered how much suns love to bathe. I actually found him bathing in his water dish. I had to get him one with a cover otherwise he'll bathe in it.

I've actually heard several people say Skittles is rather big for a sun conure. I can't even fit half my hand around him.

I think it's the water flowing that sets him off. Whenever I use the restroom or pour a drink, he'll wag his tongue.

That is too cute!! I love how crazy they get over water. It'd ridiculous!

OP
Skittys_Daddy

Skittys_Daddy

Jan 6, 2014
Lewiston, Maine
Parrots
Neotropical Pigeon - "Skittles" (born 3/29/10)
Cockatiel - "Peaches" (1995-2015) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sammy"
(1989-2000) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sandy"
(1987-1989) R.I.P.
Yeah, it is cute. But it makes for 'awkward' trips to the restroom. LOL. I make sure and keep the toilet seat down anyways. Last thing I need is for him to bathe or drink from the toilet.

I remember a scene from 'Uncle Buck' where he was letting the dog drink out of the toilet and when he was talking to his sister in law he said to her, 'that explains the blue colored poop all over the lawn'. LOL.

Skitty is such a riot though. He will bug me for a treat and he'll go to town with it - but at soon as I leave the room or even get up from my chair he drops his treat and flies to me. Like daddy is more important than his treat. It's sweet.

OP
Skittys_Daddy

Skittys_Daddy

Jan 6, 2014
Lewiston, Maine
Parrots
Budgie - "Sammy"
(1989-2000) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sandy"
(1987-1989) R.I.P.
So, I'm having a quiet afternoon, don't feel much like doing anything. So I went to heat up some homemade mac n cheese and as I'm waiting for that to reheat - 'you know who' decides "now's the time to strike". He flies over to the top of the fridge and makes a single screech. It's code for 'gimme juice, gimme juice'.

I'm getting the juice and he's making kissy noises and bobbing his head rapidly. I gave him some juice. Then, since I was gonna eat - I wanted him to have something too - so I took one of his powertreats out and placed it on his perchtoy by my desk. He flies over to it and is looking at it and bobbing his head up and down. So I say 'go on, take your treat', he keeps bobbing his head. He sees it and is just staring at it. I thought he'd get mad if I picked it back up, so I didn't - at first. But then I realized, he decided to have a lazy afternoon too. The littler bugger wanted me to feed it to him.

Now, I just remembered the mac n cheese! See how he is?

StarryEyedGirl

Jan 16, 2015
Connecticut
Parrots
I have one bird. He is a Black Capped Conure and his name is Harley. His hatch date is 2/3/2014.
Yeah, it is cute. But it makes for 'awkward' trips to the restroom. LOL. I make sure and keep the toilet seat down anyways. Last thing I need is for him to bathe or drink from the toilet.

I remember a scene from 'Uncle Buck' where he was letting the dog drink out of the toilet and when he was talking to his sister in law he said to her, 'that explains the blue colored poop all over the lawn'. LOL.

Skitty is such a riot though. He will bug me for a treat and he'll go to town with it - but at soon as I leave the room or even get up from my chair he drops his treat and flies to me. Like daddy is more important than his treat. It's sweet.

Harley does that. I'll give him one of he seed balls and he goes to town on them. But as soon as I'm not I his site he cries and when I call to him that it's okay he fliea to me to investigate. Like 'hi momma, whatcha doin? Ooooooooooh what's that?! *tries to touch whatever it is I'm holding or gets in the way of what I'm doing*' he's such a nutcase. Lol

Notdumasilook

Jul 28, 2015
Charlotte, NC
Parrots
Blue Fronted Amazon, Cookie..Sun Conure..lil Booger (RIP) Have owned Parakeets, lovebirds, cockatiels, cockatoos, pocket parrot, and quakers.
Hey Bro I was just curious... being this is my first Sun Conure and you have had one a while.. wondering if mine was...hmm.. unusual. He makes some very odd "happy sounds" I have never heard from a bird.. its not a hiss.. its more of a " squissssssssssh squisssssssssssh" sound... Does Skitty do that too? Just wondering.. thanks

OP
Skittys_Daddy

Skittys_Daddy

Jan 6, 2014
Lewiston, Maine
Parrots
Budgie - "Sammy"
(1989-2000) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sandy"
(1987-1989) R.I.P.
Not quite sure what that sound is (I know it's hard to imitate exactly what their noises are).

What I do know is aside from his 'kissy noises', Skittles does have a few other 'sound effects' he uses on a regular basis. The most common being the 'froggy ribbit'. In fact, my neighbor calls him "Froggy". Skittles will often 'mimick' routine noises around the house. Like a soft squeal that sounds like window streaks.

Best thing I can suggest is try to listen closely to the sounds around him. Parrots are great mimickers and will copy the strangest sounds. Aside from that the only thing I can say is does he make those noises during a particular time. Is there something he is doing when he makes these noises?

Kyoto

Mar 18, 2015
Media
Halifax, NS, Canada
Parrots
Kyoto (AKA Kyo)-Green Cheek Conure
Charlie - Canary
Tommy - Budgie
Sunny - budgie
Hey Bro I was just curious... being this is my first Sun Conure and you have had one a while.. wondering if mine was...hmm.. unusual. He makes some very odd "happy sounds" I have never heard from a bird.. its not a hiss.. its more of a " squissssssssssh squisssssssssssh" sound... Does Skitty do that too? Just wondering.. thanks

My green cheek makes noises like that when he\ she is excited :3 sounds kinda demented in person and I love it hehehe

OP
Skittys_Daddy

Skittys_Daddy

Jan 6, 2014
Lewiston, Maine
Parrots
Budgie - "Sammy"
(1989-2000) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sandy"
(1987-1989) R.I.P.
Yeah, they do come up with the cutest noises. The way I see it - as long as it's not an 'in distress' sound (which are not hard to understand), then chances are it's just a happy sound. That doesn't stop us from going bonkers though just trying to figure it out. Maybe that's why they do it. After all, one of a suns favorite activities is causing mischief.

OP
Skittys_Daddy

Skittys_Daddy

Jan 6, 2014
Lewiston, Maine
Parrots
Budgie - "Sammy"
(1989-2000) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sandy"
(1987-1989) R.I.P.
Skittles was being naughty this evening. He was pitching a major fit. I cleaned his cage, which he was fine with. He had an old perch which had lots of droppings on it that I could not get rid of - so I got a replacement perch. He gave me a bit of a hard time - but I was able to remove it. But when I went to put the new one in, he went bonkers. While I had the new perch in my hand he raised his head feathers up and started screeching. He then flew over to my shoulder grabbed my shirt and shook it, then, he just darted for the new perch. While it was in my hand, he attacked it. The actual perch, he went after it. I thought he was going to kill it. It was the same kind of perch too!

BoomBoom

May 2, 2012
Parrots
Boomer (Sun Conure 9 yrs), Pewpew (Budgie 5 yrs), Ulap (Budgie 2 yrs), Eight & Kiki (Beloved Budgies, RIP)
Oh Skittles! I've seen this exact same behavior with my sun when I handle things he perceives as a threat (flight harness, watering can, CD). I hope you were able to put the perch in!

Notdumasilook

Jul 28, 2015
Charlotte, NC
Parrots
Blue Fronted Amazon, Cookie..Sun Conure..lil Booger (RIP) Have owned Parakeets, lovebirds, cockatiels, cockatoos, pocket parrot, and quakers.
Well its for sure a "happy noise".. and doesnt sound like he is mimicking anything. He uses it as a enthusiastic greeting when hes happy you let him out of the cage or uncovered him in the morning... and I mimic it right back to him. I just wondered if it was typical for the species or something he came up with on his own. Of course he has all the ones you discribe as well plus hes starting to talk a bit. Hard to believe he was with a prior owner for over a year and never uttered a work... a week with me and hes talkin.. ) Thanks for the response.

OP
Skittys_Daddy

Skittys_Daddy

Jan 6, 2014
Lewiston, Maine
Parrots
Budgie - "Sammy"
(1989-2000) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sandy"
(1987-1989) R.I.P.
Yeah, I was eventually. It took a few minutes of reassuring with my 'birdy voice' saying "it's okay, yeah, it's alright". It just cracks me up how protective he is of me. He's my little bodyguard.

OP
Skittys_Daddy

Skittys_Daddy

Jan 6, 2014
Lewiston, Maine
Parrots
Budgie - "Sammy"
(1989-2000) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sandy"
(1987-1989) R.I.P.
@notdumasilook He probably never said anything to his prior owner cause (no, I'll be nice).

They really are choosy birds. I know I've told this story dozens of times, but it still puts a smile on my face. When I saw Skittles in the store, he came down to the front and started hopping all excitedly. Then another lady came by and I stepped aside so she could see him and he went right back up to his perch and started preening. She made a sarcastic remark ("why is it always the pretty ones that have no personality"). After she left, I went back to see him, he came right back down and started to hop again. I knew right then it was meant to be. But I went home and spent the weekend thinking about it and researching. The following week I went and bought him.

OP
Skittys_Daddy

Skittys_Daddy

Jan 6, 2014
Lewiston, Maine
Parrots
Budgie - "Sammy"
(1989-2000) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sandy"
(1987-1989) R.I.P.
New video!

I went to take Skittles out after getting back from my appt. Normally, he will come right out, but today, he decided scratchies come first! You can hear him clearly make his 'froggy noises' and 'kissy noises'. You can also see his 'tongue wagging' near the end of the video. That's signal for 'juice time'.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlUYswrIWc8"]YouTube[/ame]

PS, sorry for the background noise. I didn't realize the camera would pickup my chewing gum noise so clearly. LOL

Last edited:
OP
Skittys_Daddy

Skittys_Daddy

Jan 6, 2014
Lewiston, Maine
Parrots
Budgie - "Sammy"
(1989-2000) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sandy"
(1987-1989) R.I.P.
Sorry about that. I don't know what happened. I wondered what that 'padlock' was. I just fixed it.

I was in a hurry to publish it this afternoon cause it took so long to upload. I have another one I did this afternoon too. It's a follow-up of him with juice. I'll post that one later.

TacoNTiki

May 27, 2015
Calgary, AB, Canada
Parrots
Taco: female cinnamon pearl cockatiel - hatched: ~September 2013, Gotcha date: Nov 29th, 2013
Tiki: Male yellow-sided green cheek conure - hatched April 10th, 2015, Gotcha date May 24, 2015
Thanks for the video... The gum chewing added to the cuteness,LOL

OP
Skittys_Daddy

Skittys_Daddy

Jan 6, 2014
Lewiston, Maine
Parrots
Budgie - "Sammy"
(1989-2000) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sandy"
(1987-1989) R.I.P.
Yeah, he caught me offguard today. He usually can't wait to come out! The last couple nights though, he's wanted baths and he's been shedding a lot of feathers so I think he's growing in his winter coat.

Here is another video I made this afternoon. I actually shot it right after the previous one. This is of him having juice which he let me know he wanted in the first video.

He loves his juicy juice.

[ame="https://youtu.be/rTcKGbIWRNc"]Skittles wants juice! - YouTube[/ame]

He is such a good boy! You can see him 'waiting patiently' for his juice as I remove it from the fridge and shake it.

Most Reactions

Latest posts