What does this mean? - Video

Sterling1113

Feb 15, 2014
Dallas area, Texas
Whoo! I would say you've got a pretty little Sun Conure on your hands.. :) I've had suns and jendays and from what I can see the Jenday's are a more solid greens on the back and a more flush red/orange in the face.
And that's mating behaviour if I've ever seen it. My White Eared Conure does that to get the attention of my pineapple green cheek.. and it's about that time of year. :)
I'm not an expert so don't bark at me if I'm wrong! Hehe. I'm just speaking from personal experience. :) Love sun conures. Such cute fellows.

Would you happen to know how old he/she is? it might also explain the excessive nippiness if that isn't normal, like you mentioned. Hormones, man. They get to everyone. Heh :p

OP
S

sowa

Feb 26, 2014
Good to know! Not sure of the age, we think less then a year.

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
Definitely sun! Jendays are indeed more green on the back, but many jendays are actually more yellow in the face while being a more reddish-orange in the stomach area.

As far as behavior, well I've never bred conures before and none of mine have ever acted that way. However, I have seen videos of other conures displaying similar behavior and it was usually a "back off" kind of behavior.... like the bird sees something it doesn't like and puffs up to try to appear bigger and scarier.

I think this person is an idiot (and perhaps the owners as well, for allowing this), but you can see a more extreme version of a pissed off sun conure trying to go after a dog. There is the body swaying, wings out, tail feathers fanned some and beak open.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZkyzOttV2ic"]ANGRY CONURE! - YouTube[/ame]

Considering the age of the sun conure at your work, I highly doubt it's hormones but rather maybe he saw something he didn't like?

Last edited:

Ashleigh86

Sep 12, 2013
California
Parrots
Female Sun Conure-Indy Female pineapple green cheek-Tiki
Definitely a sun conure! I would guess around 9 months-ish? Indy is 6 months and doesn't have as much yellow as that little fellow does, but her siblings from a previous generation that are about 3 months older look like that. I'm not a hundred percent on the behavior as I am still learning, but when Indy is super angry she doesn't look like that, she spreads her wings out and puffs up and hisses (usually at our dog). It almost looks like maybe excited to see you and is showing off? Or could be mating behavior but I didn't know that started before they went through the sexual maturity thing? What a cutie though!

OP
S

sowa

Feb 26, 2014
I'm not sure about the back off thing. I was the only one in the store when I took this video. He's not around the other animals either. Unless he doesn't like me? But he always flutters his wings excitedly when he sees me and jumps right onto my finger when I go to pick him up. He is getting nippy though. He sometimes bites me a little hard after this behavior.

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
I was wondering if he saw something behind you (even possibly out a window?) that he didn't like?

Starlit_Night

Sep 9, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Aleta - Pineapple GCC (Hatch date July 2 2013), Fry & Sprite - Budgies
Can I ask what city you are in? There is a local pet suply store here that has a resident sun. The shop i can see in the backgroud looks similar. Just curious if thats you. :)

OP
S

sowa

Feb 26, 2014
I don't think so. A lot of the times he does it no one else is around and there is stuff there so he can't see outside from where I was.

I'm not in Alberta, which store was it though?

Most Reactions

Latest posts