Skye ate millet from my hand!

Nov 12, 2019
New England
Parrots
4 budgies, 1 cockatiel, 1 canary winged parakeet
So a bit of back story...my daughter has a play this weekend and has literally been rehearsing from the moment she gets out of school until 7PM all week. Which sort of works great because that gave Skye time to settle in a bit without to much attention. I have been doing the afternoon feedings this week because she isn’t home. I went to give him a new millet spray this afternoon because the other one had been eaten clean and he just started snacking on the very tip. AS I WAS HOLDING IT!!! OMG! So obviously I stayed as still as possible. When he had his fill I took it out. When my daughter came home I had her just stick her arm through the tiny food door and he flew RIGHT TO THE MILLET and started munching away. It’s not quite a full week since we brought him home. He’s had almost no human contact his whole life but is warming up super fast. I’m thinking we got super lucky, but I am so thankful that we did.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
Yay- keep taking things slow and in time I'm sure you will see even more progress!

Flboy

Dec 28, 2014
Greater Orlando area, Florida
Parrots
JoJo, 'Special' GCC, Bongo, Cinnamon GCC(wife's)
Really awesome! On those sliding food doors, some little ones quickly learn how to let themselves out! If he start playing with it , you may need to improvise something!

Last edited:
OP
I
Nov 12, 2019
New England
Parrots
The cage...oh dear lord that has been a fiasco, you have no idea...I’m ordering one from amazon on Monday. Let’s just leave that one be...I’ve already invested way to much time,energy ,and cash into what was supposed to be in my house already. [emoji35]

The cage is sort of a “trigger” for me right now. He wasn’t ever supposed to be in that cage AT ALL. Thank God I can return it for a full refund if I clean it first.

I will secure the water and food doors when I get home this afternoon. Are twist ties safe for about a week? If not I can swing by the hardware store.

OP
I
Nov 12, 2019
New England
Parrots
Yay- keep taking things slow and in time I'm sure you will see even more progress!

He’s sort of running the show. We are spending small increments of time with him several times a day and he seems to be realizing we aren’t going to eat him. I haven’t “asked” him for anything. He’s been calling out and we whistle back. Now he’s eating millet without any prompting on our part. We are all just going with his flow and so far that seems to be working. [emoji16]

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
Millet is the "crack" of the birdie world!:p

Jim

Flboy

Dec 28, 2014
Greater Orlando area, Florida
Parrots
JoJo, 'Special' GCC, Bongo, Cinnamon GCC(wife's)
The cage...oh dear lord that has been a fiasco, you have no idea...I’m ordering one from amazon on Monday. Let’s just leave that one be...I’ve already invested way to much time,energy ,and cash into what was supposed to be in my house already. [emoji35]

The cage is sort of a “trigger” for me right now. He wasn’t ever supposed to be in that cage AT ALL. Thank God I can return it for a full refund if I clean it first.

I will secure the water and food doors when I get home this afternoon. Are twist ties safe for about a week? If not I can swing by the hardware store.

Hi,
I used tyewraps to put outward pressure on the bars. Twisties may work, but if he goes after them, I think there is zinc in the wire! A serious poison!

OP
I
Nov 12, 2019
New England
Parrots

Hi,

I used tyewraps to put outward pressure on the bars. Twisties may work, but if he goes after them, I think there is zinc in the wire! A serious poison!

Hardware store it is, thank you!

Jasmine333

Dec 7, 2019
Media
Oklahoma
Parrots
Green and Yellow Male Budgie
So a bit of back story...my daughter has a play this weekend and has literally been rehearsing from the moment she gets out of school until 7PM all week. Which sort of works great because that gave Skye time to settle in a bit without to much attention. I have been doing the afternoon feedings this week because she isn’t home. I went to give him a new millet spray this afternoon because the other one had been eaten clean and he just started snacking on the very tip. AS I WAS HOLDING IT!!! OMG! So obviously I stayed as still as possible. When he had his fill I took it out. When my daughter came home I had her just stick her arm through the tiny food door and he flew RIGHT TO THE MILLET and started munching away. It’s not quite a full week since we brought him home. He’s had almost no human contact his whole life but is warming up super fast. I’m thinking we got super lucky, but I am so thankful that we did.
and sometimes just stand and gently talk to him touch him when I gently stroke his belly.

That's great Skye took some millet from you. Oliver has done that too, I read budgies love that stuff. Also must help the bird associate something pleasant being given to them by a person, therefore goes a way in the positive direction to taming. Naturally we want a tame companion, but must remember we are dealing with almost the same as a wild animal.

OP
I
Nov 12, 2019
New England
Parrots

and sometimes just stand and gently talk to him touch him when I gently stroke his belly.

That's great Skye took some millet from you. Oliver has done that too, I read budgies love that stuff. Also must help the bird associate something pleasant being given to them by a person, therefore goes a way in the positive direction to taming. Naturally we want a tame companion, but must remember we are dealing with almost the same as a wild animal.

100% agree, even the small victories are really huge milestones! And I’m not above bribery to earn Skye’s affection. It’s one of my new favorite past times!

I used to rehab wildlife before I had my kids. Totally different mainly because you do not want the wildlife to grow accustomed to humans, but similar in the same sense that the birds are (semi)wild when we bring them home and in both cases the transition is absolutely amazing.

10 years until I can get back into it and not worry about what diseases I might be bringing home on my clothes or into the house.

Most Reactions

Latest posts