Sleep cage setup, introduction and times!

kellie

May 11, 2013
Arizona
Parrots
Lukah- Sun Conure, 10 months old!
So after waking up to Lukah falling off his perch last night at 2am with my roommate watching tv and then finding her on the couch this morning tv still on, I've decided Lukah is long overdue for a sleep cage.

I'm wondering how I set it up. I have a little cage my grandma gave me that I can put in my bedroom since I'm rarely in there except for sleeping and it has blackout curtains.

I'm going to put a perch in and possibly buy a little happy hut since one doesn't fit in his big cage but does he also need food and water in it? A toy? Anything else? What time should I put him to sleep? I know e needs 10-12 hours of sleep and I typically get up around 6 am

Pictures of your parrots sleep cages would be much appreciated!!

OP
K

kellie

May 11, 2013
Arizona
Parrots
Also should I just put him into the cage one night or should I have an introductory period? He desperately needs the sleep. I've let his sleep schedule get way out of hand.

ShellyBorg

Apr 8, 2013
Redding, CA
Parrots
TAG Spirit,RLA Danny,Senegal Damon, Parrotlet Opal, B&G Paris
No food or water, they don't drink at night anyway. no toys. perch and tent is fine. set it up and let him help and watch. let him check it out. Then start tonight and see what happens.

OP
K

kellie

May 11, 2013
Arizona
Parrots
Will it be too stressful for him to handle all at once? A new cage, room, and perches or will he just be relieved to finally be getting enough sleep?

ShellyBorg

Apr 8, 2013
Redding, CA
Parrots
he may not get the best sleep tonight , but keep it up and in a couple of nights he may be asking you to take him when he is tired!

OP
K

kellie

May 11, 2013
Arizona
Parrots
What time do you usually put rio to bed? And do you put. Sleep cloth over it?

ShellyBorg

Apr 8, 2013
Redding, CA
Parrots
Mine all all up by 6 am. So they all go down at 9pm give or take. I never stick to a tight schedule so if I do miss a bed time its not to bad. I do cover all sleep cages at night. I do not add toys in case of night fears. If you do make it a soft type.

Last edited:
OP
K

kellie

May 11, 2013
Arizona
Parrots
If he hates sleep covers, should I try to get him used to them or just let him be without one? There is a vent going right into my room and I keep a fan on at all times.. I feel like I'm answering my own question here haha

SoCalWendy

Jun 29, 2013
Kihei, Hawaii
Parrots
None at the moment
What time do you usually put rio to bed? And do you put. Sleep cloth over it?

Rio usually gets sleepy at sundown, so 7:30-8:00. The latest she has been up is 9pm. I have two perches in her sleep cage a wooden shelf (where she sleeps) and a grapevine perch, she'll hang out on it. I only cover about 1/3 of her cage, where the shelf is. To give her privacy.

OP
K

kellie

May 11, 2013
Arizona
Parrots
A wooden shelf, huh? Where did you get it? Is that comfortable do them? Sounds like the safest sleep aid I've heard yet!

SoCalWendy

Jun 29, 2013
Kihei, Hawaii
Parrots
None at the moment
A wooden shelf, huh? Where did you get it? Is that comfortable do them? Sounds like the safest sleep aid I've heard yet!

Yah she like to hang out on it I have a wire one in her cage in the living room that she likes to hang out on too.

Here is the one in her sleep cage:

Corner Shelf Platform Perch

I think I got it at petco. But you can google wooden shelf for bird and find it.

ShellyBorg

Apr 8, 2013
Redding, CA
Parrots
My smaller birds both have those. My larger ones have a wire shelf. They are great!

OP
K

kellie

May 11, 2013
Arizona
Parrots
Well his sleep cage is all set up with a cozy hut and two perches and is tucked away in my bedroom in the dark... Hopefully he gets some sleep.. He was so angry when he realized I was going to leave him in there and screamed. But he went quiet a couple minutes after I turned out the lights and closed the door

OP
K

kellie

May 11, 2013
Arizona
Parrots
Looking at his empty cage out in the living room is killing me!

JadeC

Apr 27, 2013
Seattle, WA
Parrots
White bellied caique
Let me know how it goes because I bought a cage to use as a sleep cage but I mostly just take him out in it. I haven't used it as a sleep cage yet.

OP
K

kellie

May 11, 2013
Arizona
Parrots
I will definitely update you guys in the morning, but for right now he is quiet and was perched on the small grape wood perch last I checked on him looking pretty sleepy.... I think hes dealing better than me. The apartment feels so empty without him chattering and laughing in the corner!

SoCalWendy

Jun 29, 2013
Kihei, Hawaii
Parrots
None at the moment
Let me know how it goes because I bought a cage to use as a sleep cage but I mostly just take him out in it. I haven't used it as a sleep cage yet.

If he is already used to it, it shouldn't be a problem using it as a sleep cage. My sleep cage is also the cage I use to go to the vet, etc.

SoCalWendy

Jun 29, 2013
Kihei, Hawaii
Parrots
None at the moment
I will definitely update you guys in the morning, but for right now he is quiet and was perched on the small grape wood perch last I checked on him looking pretty sleepy.... I think hes dealing better than me. The apartment feels so empty without him chattering and laughing in the corner!

I use the time she is out of it to wash her bowls and change her paper or even to rearrange something's, so it's all ready for the next day. :D

Most Reactions