Sleeping Cage ~ Who uses them?

Oiseau

Jul 8, 2020
Parrots
Govi ~ Pied Cockatiel *
Nellie ~ GCC *
Pearl ~ White Face Cinnamon Pied Cockatiel
So our little GCC, Nellie, has made it very clear that she does not want to be covered at night. Our cockatiels have always been covered at night with no issues but Nellie is not having it. Since her cage is in our family room, which we're in till fairly late, I'm thinking of getting her a cage just to sleep in that would be kept in a quiet, darkened room allowing her to get the necessary 10-12 hrs of sleep. I'm thinking of this one and wonder if this would be ok to use for this purpose. She's out a lot during the day and her regular cage is fairly large.

Would also love to hear from others who use sleeping cages.

:gcc:

Cagzo

Jan 14, 2020
Media
Mid Glamorgan,South Wales,UK
Parrots
One Pineapple Conure.
Hatched late 2018.
She will probably need various types of perch to be able to rest her feet. Not smooth dowel ones.
I use that sized cage to take Connie into the garden (Im always there with her because of cats) but she sleeps in her big cage. Not too keen to be covered as she goes to the bottom to peep under the cover. Its a bit of a problem as shes in the main sitting room,with the tv on.She naps in the afternoon uncovered.

Caitnah

Mar 24, 2018
Upstate New York
Parrots
GCC Pineapple
We have that exact cage for my Conure and use it as a travel cage or just to go outside cage.
I actually used it once when we went on vacation for a week and he was fine in it. As far as a sleeping cage, I have heard some use even a SMALLER cage since it is just for sleeping.
In my situation, my guy is also in the family room but at 8:00pm, he tells ME “Nite nite” and I have to leave the room....this is understandable as he pays all the bills. ;)

fiddlejen

Mar 28, 2019
Media
New England
Parrots
Sunny the Sun Conure (sept '18, gotcha 3/'19). Mr Jefferson Budgie & Mrs Calliope Budgie (albino) (nov'18 & jan'19). Summer 2021 Baby Budgies: Riker (Green); Patchouli, Keye, & Tiny (blue greywings).
So our little GCC, Nellie, has made it very clear that she does not want to be covered at night. Our cockatiels have always been covered at night with no issues but Nellie is not having it. Since her cage is in our family room, which we're in till fairly late, I'm thinking of getting her a cage just to sleep in that would be kept in a quiet, darkened room allowing her to get the necessary 10-12 hrs of sleep. I'm thinking of this one and wonder if this would be ok to use for this purpose. She's out a lot during the day and her regular cage is fairly large.

Would also love to hear from others who use sleeping cages.

If she resists being covered she may dislike darkness. (My Jefferson-budgie is like that.) Sleeping cage in dark room etc is good plan - but, I do suggest getting a nightlight for that darkened room also.

T00tsyd

May 8, 2017
UK
Parrots
Green cheek conure - Sydney (Syd) Hatched 2/2017
Syd was a nightmare. Like the proverbial toddler he would do anything rather than sleep. I covered him but he would play boo at the bottom of the cage where he could still see us. In the end I bought a cage suitable for a single budgie or finches which still has room for 2 bowls and 4 perches of different sizes and a couple of hanging toys.

H25"xW17"xD12" It was pretty cheap and not the quality of his day cage but secure and he loves it, jumps in happily and settles before I leave the room - although I confess he always has a song first which he also loves. He sleeps in a quiet room covered and I rarely hear much of him for 12 hours.

OP
Oiseau

Oiseau

Jul 8, 2020
Parrots
Govi ~ Pied Cockatiel *
Nellie ~ GCC *
Pearl ~ White Face Cinnamon Pied Cockatiel
Thanks for the input. I'm thinking it's an ongoing thing to figure out what works for her as we're still getting to know each other. The last couple of nights I've been creative in finding ways for her to get 10-12 hrs of darkness without the cover and have been more successful in terms of her receptivity than when I covered her cage. Still looking for the ideal situation and will report back when I find it lol.

Boki

Aug 7, 2018
HI
Parrots
Marcy - double yellow Amazon
Mac - blue front Amazon
Loki - rosefront conure
I use a sleeping cage for my conure. I started her with it early on as her main cage is in the busiest part of the house and I figured that won't change when the evening comes. I think she welcomes going into it every evening as she gets an evening snack upon entry. She never complains when I cover the cage and move it to another part of the house.

Most Reactions

Latest posts