sleepy bird pics thread!!!

Denise1229

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 19, 2023
Media
Parrots
Black head caique
I find it interesting that yall are getting these pictures of your birds sleeping. I never see Diesel’s eyes closed. I catch him yawning, and when he gets sleepy he says “night Diesel”. But when we uncover him, his eyes are wide open and stay open all day long. I have never caught him sleeping like that. Its super cute. Diesel is wide eyed and wide open from dawn to dusk🤣🤣
If I wake him up too early in the morning, he says “night Diesel” which means Im not ready to wake up yet. He gets about 12 hours of sleep every night.

Jcas

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Jan 9, 2023
Parrots
Quaker, 2 budgies
Wow those are all sooooo adoraboble! I ALMOST forgot about this thread. ;) Sooo cute keep it going! Looooooove seeing these!
I think this is one of the cutest threads on the forum 🥰

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
I find it interesting that yall are getting these pictures of your birds sleeping. I never see Diesel’s eyes closed. I catch him yawning, and when he gets sleepy he says “night Diesel”. But when we uncover him, his eyes are wide open and stay open all day long. I have never caught him sleeping like that. Its super cute. Diesel is wide eyed and wide open from dawn to dusk🤣🤣
I read that birds can sleep with one eye open and watching for predators. Apparently they can "sleep" only one side of their brains at a time and "sleep" while flying on an annual migration. Hard to imagine.

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
I read that birds can sleep with one eye open and watching for predators. Apparently they can "sleep" only one side of their brains at a time and "sleep" while flying on an annual migration. Hard to imagine.
I wonder if that’s similar to the way sharks sleep.
I seen a documentary on sharks and you know they never stop swimming sharks.
So part of the brain has to stay on the job.
Whale’s are really strange. They (some of them anyway) hang neutrally buoyant in the vertical position.

when Bingo sits with me on my knee of chest he looks like he is sleeping.
The eye that is turned towards me is closed but I can’t tell what that other eye is doing.
and bird eyelid’s are so strange to, have you noticed.
When they close their eyes the eye lid can meet in the middle, the top or the bottom of the orbit of the eye.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
I wonder if that’s similar to the way sharks sleep.
I seen a documentary on sharks and you know they never stop swimming sharks.
So part of the brain has to stay on the job.
Whale’s are really strange. They (some of them anyway) hang neutrally buoyant in the vertical position.

when Bingo sits with me on my knee of chest he looks like he is sleeping.
The eye that is turned towards me is closed but I can’t tell what that other eye is doing.
and bird eyelid’s are so strange to, have you noticed.
When they close their eyes the eye lid can meet in the middle, the top or the bottom of the orbit of the eye.
I read that marine mammals (whales, dolphins, proposes) are voluntary breathers compared to land animals which are involuntary breathers which means they consciously decide to breath. Land animals breathe automatically. Marine mammals must keep part of their brain awake while they sleep so they stay positioned with their blowhole above the water so they can consciously breathe without drowning. Fascinating. Migrating birds sleep while flying! That's wild!

Zainabals

Nov 22, 2023
Media
Albums
Kuwait
Parrots
Lorikeet
IMG_1257.jpeg
sleepy bird getting scratches

Vampiric_Conure

May 16, 2022
Media
Albums
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Parrots
Charlie (M) - 23 yrs - Peach Front Conure
Redshift (M)-22yrs - normal Cockatiel
Moon (M) - 2 ys - wf pied cockatiel
Chara (F)- 1 yr - wf pied cockatiel
I try to take pix of my dinosaurs while they're sleeping and they wake up, LOL. Too cute!

Most Reactions

Latest posts