Wet bird or sleepy bird?

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
I think the cutest is the bird deciding to get wet.....testing the water then jumping in and going ham crazy with all the flippy flappy and the chirpy derpy. Flappy flappy splashy splashy.

Greenhouseparrots

Nov 27, 2022
UK
Parrots
Crimson bellied conure- Tequila
Greencheek conure- Sierra
Pearled cockatiel- Malibu
Cockatiel- Volkan
Yellow budgies- Pina Colada and Houdini
Blue budgie- Lightning
White and blue budgie- Ciroc
I can't decide which I prefer! Probably sleeping since it's rare I catch them sleeping and they have baths almost everyday :ROFLMAO:
lightning wet.jpg
pina colada wet.jpg
ciroc wet.JPG
ciroc wet 2.jpg
conures.JPG
Sierra.JPG
Tequila wet.jpg
Tequila sleeping.jpg

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.

Greenhouseparrots

Nov 27, 2022
UK
Parrots
Cockatiel- Volkan
Blue budgie- Lightning
How did they all get soaked? Did you hose them down? I like the sleepy wet ones.
The conures would never let me hose them! They have a small water dish that they can't even fit in that they use for their baths. They have a bigger one but they won't use it for bathing, silly birds.

The budgies get misted! The white one I've had since she and her siblings were babies and I used to bath them because they were so messy so her love of water comes from that. As soon as I get the mister out the budgies fly over and I can give them a good shower, they love it!

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
The conures would never let me hose them! They have a small water dish that they can't even fit in that they use for their baths. They have a bigger one but they won't use it for bathing, silly birds.

The budgies get misted! The white one I've had since she and her siblings were babies and I used to bath them because they were so messy so her love of water comes from that. As soon as I get the mister out the budgies fly over and I can give them a good shower, they love it!
Do your three female budgies get along? What about the male budgie?

Greenhouseparrots

Nov 27, 2022
UK
Parrots
Cockatiel- Volkan
Blue budgie- Lightning
Do your three female budgies get along? What about the male budgie?
They do! I started off with just one budgie and she was lonely so I rescued another. I didn't have a preference for male or female but I ended up with a male and a female and she was very broody and kept laying eggs even before I got the male. A friend kept asking me if he could have any babies if I was going to breed them and since she was extremely broody I decided to let them breed. They had four babies and I gave two to my friend (2 males which was lucky because they're his first birds) and I kept the two females. This was almost two years ago and they've shared the cage the entire time.

I think it's because they're mother and daughters that they get along. I was worried the mum might be a terrible mum since she came from awful conditions and had a lot of problems but she's an amazing budgie, and the dad is so sweet. I got him from a rescue and the woman had loads of female budgies and they all hated him for some reason but it was love at first sight when he met my budgie. He dotes on the three girls and is always feeding them and singing to them. The females all feed each other sometimes too so it's not just a mating thing with them. Even the siblings fed each other when they were still growing up! I do have to make sure I have three bowls in the cage otherwise they fight over food as the girls like their own bowl, and the parents share one. I'm quite lucky since they don't show many hormonal behaviours and don't seem interested in having more children. The two daughters have never laid an egg and don't seem too fussed abut finding a mate and having children either. If I got more budgies I think they would though.

I know you're worried about Rocky having babies and being hormonal. It's a really tough decision to let them have friends of the opposite sex in case they breed. I'm hoping that because she's had some babies and her diet is now good (she was half starved and on a seed only diet when I got her), mine won't want any more. I think the better diet and abundance of food she suddenly got when I rescued her made her start laying eggs but I didn't know that back then. And I'm hoping that the younger ones will never want any.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
They do! I started off with just one budgie and she was lonely so I rescued another. I didn't have a preference for male or female but I ended up with a male and a female and she was very broody and kept laying eggs even before I got the male. A friend kept asking me if he could have any babies if I was going to breed them and since she was extremely broody I decided to let them breed. They had four babies and I gave two to my friend (2 males which was lucky because they're his first birds) and I kept the two females. This was almost two years ago and they've shared the cage the entire time.

I think it's because they're mother and daughters that they get along. I was worried the mum might be a terrible mum since she came from awful conditions and had a lot of problems but she's an amazing budgie, and the dad is so sweet. I got him from a rescue and the woman had loads of female budgies and they all hated him for some reason but it was love at first sight when he met my budgie. He dotes on the three girls and is always feeding them and singing to them. The females all feed each other sometimes too so it's not just a mating thing with them. Even the siblings fed each other when they were still growing up! I do have to make sure I have three bowls in the cage otherwise they fight over food as the girls like their own bowl, and the parents share one. I'm quite lucky since they don't show many hormonal behaviours and don't seem interested in having more children. The two daughters have never laid an egg and don't seem too fussed abut finding a mate and having children either. If I got more budgies I think they would though.

I know you're worried about Rocky having babies and being hormonal. It's a really tough decision to let them have friends of the opposite sex in case they breed. I'm hoping that because she's had some babies and her diet is now good (she was half starved and on a seed only diet when I got her), mine won't want any more. I think the better diet and abundance of food she suddenly got when I rescued her made her start laying eggs but I didn't know that back then. And I'm hoping that the younger ones will never want any.
Your budgies are so cute and I love how your group came to be. Since Beau's male cagemate Hunter
died last month I've been putting Rocky in Beau's cage when I can't leave them out to play because I'm not home and both Rocky and Beau seem happy about it. Beau has a much better cage.
My first worry was that Rocky would be too aggressive with Beau who's very sweet and docile but she has been very nice to him. My second worry is eggs and babies but neither Rocky nor Beau have been acting interested in each other "in that way". Beau had Hunter for a male cagemate for three plus years since they were both hand raised by a local breeder. I'm hoping Beau and Rocky don't start getting ideas so I'm avoiding giving them anything that could be used for nesting. Rocky has a deep dark brown cere so I know she's biologically ready to breed but I want to avoid it while still giving both Rocky and Beau the joy of having great cagemates.

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
Here is the sleepy bird photo.
Luna & Merlin catching some ZZZ’s.
IMG_1302.jpeg

And this is Luna after a bath.

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
I don't see any harm in posting this here......

For your enjoyment, my flock and prior (clark) being ducks. Going with Wet now.

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
I just thing it's funny now when the conures bathe the budgies and even the quaker move to the "splash zone".

Most Reactions

Latest posts