Small bar spacing, large cage?

charmedbyekkie

May 24, 2018
US/SG
Parrots
Cairo the Ekkie!
We're starting to talk more seriously about an ekkie in our future. With that comes looking around at cage options. Luckily, his cage would be replacing my baby grand piano, so we can get a decently large cage (like the Hacienda style, or something around 40"W x 30"D x 70"H) but still reclaim some space back.

But how can you find large cages that match the eclectus limit of max 3/4" bar spacing? All the large cages I'm seeing are at least 1"! Is there some search function/filter on the different websites that I'm missing?

On that note, is there a King's Cage that matches all requirements? I have somewhat easy access (in terms of shipping) to their manufacturer, so it'd be great if they had an appropriate model.

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
Lincoln (Eclectus), Apollo (Cockatiel), Aster (GCC)
The cage I have has a 1" bar spacing I believe and it's never been a problem.

OP
charmedbyekkie

charmedbyekkie

May 24, 2018
US/SG
Parrots
Cairo the Ekkie!
The cage I have has a 1" bar spacing I believe and it's never been a problem.

Oh good! I kept reading somewhere that said they can get caught between the bars (someone mentioned hanging :eek:), but if Lincoln's happy, we should be fine then :) Thanks!!

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
Lincoln (Eclectus), Apollo (Cockatiel), Aster (GCC)
yeah no Lincoln could definitely not fit his head through the bars. But do beware there are different sizes of eclectus parrots, I'm not sure on Lincoln's sub species or how he might compare to others but do be cautious of that.

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
If you have the space for a 5' x 5' cage, you could always look into walk in aviaries? Sell for $800-$1,200 starting price and come in 1/2" and 1" bar spacing. I know someone who got the 1/2" bar spacing for their macaws! ;)

OP
charmedbyekkie

charmedbyekkie

May 24, 2018
US/SG
Parrots
Cairo the Ekkie!
If you have the space for a 5' x 5' cage, you could always look into walk in aviaries? Sell for $800-$1,200 starting price and come in 1/2" and 1" bar spacing. I know someone who got the 1/2" bar spacing for their macaws! ;)

I'm definitely tempted, but with the piano, we were able to store things below it (helped muffle the sound as well), so it was manageable in a small apartment space. Considering we'll also get him a medium-size playstand to roll around from room to room, I'm a bit hesitant to go all the way to 5' by 5' especially if we move we'd probably be moving to a newer but narrower place (just the nature of housing here :( ).

If we ever move back to the States, I wouldn't hesitate to get a walk-in aviary! Would be so fun to fill it up with all sorts of toys and branches 😍

Jen5200

Mar 27, 2017
Media
Albums
Washington State
Parrots
Baby - Sun Conure;
Tango - GCC;
Bindi - Sun Conure;
Stanley - Pineapple GCC;
Screamer “Scree� - Cockatiel;
Tee - Pineapple GCC; Jimmy - Cockatiel
OP
charmedbyekkie

charmedbyekkie

May 24, 2018
US/SG
Parrots
Cairo the Ekkie!
I have this one - has the small bar spacing, but is the same size as the big cages for macaws. https://www.birdscomfort.com/large-cage-for-small-birds.html?search=Large cage for small I found it to be a challenge to find smaller bar spacing in a big cage :).

This is almost perfect! I'd imagine you were able to remove the middle partition?

Gah! Now I'm going crazy over all of their products - their gyms look so fun!

Side note: Do the drop doors have any specific usage? Or just mainly for letting the little guy chill out from a better vantage point as well as a different access point in/out of the cage? It looks like a nice addition, but I don't know if I should list it as a must-have or not.

Jen5200

Mar 27, 2017
Media
Albums
Washington State
Parrots
Baby - Sun Conure;
Tango - GCC;
Bindi - Sun Conure;
Stanley - Pineapple GCC;
Screamer “Scree� - Cockatiel;
Tee - Pineapple GCC; Jimmy - Cockatiel
I have this one - has the small bar spacing, but is the same size as the big cages for macaws. https://www.birdscomfort.com/large-cage-for-small-birds.html?search=Large cage for small I found it to be a challenge to find smaller bar spacing in a big cage :).

This is almost perfect! I'd imagine you were able to remove the middle partition?

Gah! Now I'm going crazy over all of their products - their gyms look so fun!

Side note: Do the drop doors have any specific usage? Or just mainly for letting the little guy chill out from a better vantage point as well as a different access point in/out of the cage? It looks like a nice addition, but I don't know if I should list it as a must-have or not.

I didn’t install the partition in mine, and I keep it behind the cage leaned against the wall in case I ever need to divide the cage. There is a lovely plate cover that you use to cover where the partition would be if it’s not installed. Mine like the drop doors, they use them to go in and out. I have a love/hate relationship with them - they are right at forehead height if I forget that I left them open :rolleyes: I wouldn’t consider them a must-have item. I love the full height doors though. I just like the cage in general, it is solid and well made (135kg/290 lbs).

Most Reactions

Latest posts