Smaller cockatoo

getwozzy

Feb 26, 2013
Oregon
That video doesn't really do the loudness and pitch justice- but it also depends on what sounds you and your hubby can and can't handle- each person's noise tolerances are different.

I can handle Chili's galah moments where she hangs upside down and screeches, but the "war cry" that Jayyj mentions is enough to make my ears ring if she does it close enough lol a couple weeks ago she did it while sitting on my shoulder and it felt like I went deaf in that ear for a few minutes [emoji33]

But! She only does it occasionally- mornings and evenings are the typical time, but other than that she's fairly quiet the rest of the day.

strudel

Sep 30, 2013
Media
My computer can't play that file, unfortunately.

My galah ONLY does her yelling/gymnastics if she's outdoors. She is as quiet as a mouse when she's inside. I don't know whether that's a "galah" thing, or an idiosyncratic thing. When she's calling, you can hear it, but it doesn't make you go running to see what is going on. I went to the feed shop yesterday and they have these 2 sun conures and I could hear them yelling from outside the shop and their screaming was annoying and made me think (and ask them :D) "what's WRONG with you????" I couldn't have those birds in my house, they drove me nuts within the short time I interacted with them.

At the end of the day, any bird will make noise and it really is a decision to accept whatever noises they come with. MY bird is quiet, you might get a yeller. And what will be tolerable or not will depend on you. I know myself and I could never adjust to that racket those conures were making.

EDIT: I don't know whether any noise from a galah yelling would carry to neighbours. I have my backdoor open and heard her calling, but it took a while for me to figure out who was making the noise when her house is right outside the door. I suspect that nobody outside your place would be affected by it although it would depend on the acoustics at your place.

Do you have any option of fostering a bird to "test run" how it would be?

Last edited:

punkindave

Apr 9, 2013
Media
Albums
Bethlehem, PA
Parrots
Budgie Niles, Rascal RBC-2001, Jake "footloose" CAG-2015, Butchie Triton-1988, Neyteri "Chatterbox" CAG, and the "Squeak Squad" (4 Caiques) ScooterPie 8/12, Skittles 4/13, Chica 2006, Ringo 2009
Yea, that's the "I'm a Cockatoo" call of joy!! Ours does the same thing when we come home every day!! It CAN get loud but I enjoy as a sign of a very happy bird! It doesn't really carry outside the house like our Triton.

Jayyj

Apr 28, 2013
UK
Parrots
Alice - Galah cockatoo

That's a good example of the galah blowing off of steam thing - but they don't do that all day, it's just a quick burst. I remember watching that clip when researching the species and thinking it was a tolerable noise level, but Alice is nowhere near as loud as that, generally prefering conversational chirps than piercing shrieks. I get something akin to the noise the bird in the clip makes when in the cage when she hears my key in the door if I've been out, but only for a few seconds and hey, it's a nice feeling that she's exited to have me home. And she'll roll on her back and do the war cry 4-5 times, not every day but more often than not. Other than that it's contact calls and the occasional alarm call that are her loudest sounds, and as long as it's not three inches from my ear it's not much of an issue.

Galahs also have a wonderful vocabulary of endearing sounds, a kind of baby seal thing when they're exited, some enormously cute whispery squeaks when they're looking for cuddles and little cheeps and chuckles when they're entertaining themselves with something - so there's a lot to like about having a galah adding to the household noise levels!

strudel

Sep 30, 2013
Media
That's a good example of the galah blowing off of steam thing - but they don't do that all day, it's just a quick burst. I remember watching that clip when researching the species and thinking it was a tolerable noise level, but Alice is nowhere near as loud as that,
Yes, mine too. She'll do that hanging upside down gymnastics/waving/yelling thing when she's outdoors, but it's like a little routine and then she stops. It isn't all the time (and never when she's indoors) and in real life it isn't nearly as annoying as it sounds on the video (to me, anyway). I think of it as performance art and one of her endearing qualities, not as something annoying to be tolerated. I love watching her fling herself about, dancing and singing, even when it's that loud yelly singing.

aether-drifter

Jan 12, 2013
Portland, OR
How on Earth did you grow up with a u2 and think a galah is loud?? :p lol.

In all seriousness, yes, they are loud...but not any louder than any other parrot. I swear my cockatiels come close to outmatching Flower. Some birds vocalize more *often* than others, and that is all down to the individual....but as far as sheer volume potential, I think galahs have nothing whatsoever on large toos and macs. Just my personal experience.

Jayyj

Apr 28, 2013
UK
Parrots
Alice - Galah cockatoo
If you check out the Birdtricks clips on Bandit the galah on Youtube they give a better idea as to what my galah is like in terms of general noise levels.

If these videos are putting you off fair enough, but it's worth pointing out that most medium sized bird are capable of that level of noise, and even some of the smaller ones, so it's part of the package that you'll occasionally have to put up with sound levels that get on your nerves, whatever the species.

I think you need to get out and meet one rather than rely on Youtube clips though - it's easy to find examples of videos showing birds being loud but it's no substitute for seeing and handling the different species in the flesh.

craftEcowgirl

May 14, 2014
I am just giving reference for others. I am not that concerned :). Just wanted to find out how often they make their loudest

Most Reactions