Smelly Female Lovebird?

Aitheria

Nov 9, 2013
St.Paul
Parrots
A male Parakeet & female Lovebird
Hello,
Before I explain the issue, I want to tell everyone yes I found her abandoned in the wild before taking her in, printed out fliers for her and added her to "lost and found" in the newspaper, took her to the vet they said she checked out fine and no one ever claimed her so now shes mine...

But to the issue. I am hoping this isn't something horrible but she smells really funny. It's a smell sort of like an old musty cracker, when I brought her home 3 months ago there was no odor and she still bathes all the time besides the weekly bathes I give my birds and I clean the cage regularly too.

I am just concerned on the issue because I feel bad she smell like a funny old cracker even though shes so clean and gets cleaned all the time! If anyone can explain to me why she smells and how to fix it I'd appreciate it very much.

-Thank you!

Brisch

Jul 26, 2012
British Columbia Canada
Parrots
I have a Cinnamon GCC (Honey)
and a BCC (Conrad)AKA Connie
GCC (Jinx)
3x Goffin2 (Liam)(Mya)(Goose)
2x B&G Macaw (Cozzy)(Blue)
might have a yeast infection. I had 2 conures brought to me and they smelled pungent so I treated with ornacyn plus and the smell went away

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
might have a yeast infection. I had 2 conures brought to me and they smelled pungent so I treated with ornacyn plus and the smell went away

Should never treat your birds for something you do not know for sure with meds unless you had them tested!

rosie88

Jun 10, 2013
India
Parrots
Naru - Fischer Lovebird
hello aitheria i suggest 2 things :-(a) boils neem leaves (Azadirachta indica) in water and gave her a bath when water comes to room temperature.
(b) add few drops of rose water to the bath..

i hope this work..:)

cassiepengo

Nov 12, 2013
india
Parrots
my darling lovebird
make sure whether the smell is from her, or its just your cage. is there something going bad in the place she lives??clean your cage totally inside out, wash the dishes, the perches, the toys, clean everything. but if the smell remains, then there must be something with your birdie. you might wanna take her to the vet. hope shes okay, though :) and dont forget, clean EVERYTHING, your lovie, her toys, the dishes, perches, EVERYTHING. if there is some microbial infection, it will help:)

OP
A

Aitheria

Nov 9, 2013
St.Paul
Parrots
A male Parakeet & female Lovebird
make sure whether the smell is from her, or its just your cage. is there something going bad in the place she lives??clean your cage totally inside out, wash the dishes, the perches, the toys, clean everything. but if the smell remains, then there must be something with your birdie. you might wanna take her to the vet. hope shes okay, though :) and dont forget, clean EVERYTHING, your lovie, her toys, the dishes, perches, EVERYTHING. if there is some microbial infection, it will help:)

I figured it out. It stopped after a while, part of it was coming from her because I think she ate a smelly cracker but her perch that she loooovvveesss to nuzzle I guess gets a weird smell to it after not being washed for a while so now I'm scrubbing down everything every few days and she smells just fine. -Thank you!

Most Reactions

Latest posts