smelly regurgitation...?

EnglishMuffin

Mar 1, 2014
Vancouver, Canada
Parrots
Sootie- Yellow-sided GCC
Sootie seems to have been fine all day, playfull and normal.

tonight I got in from dinner and noticed that when she was calling to my dad her voice seemed more breathy than normal and was cutting out. I felt her crop and it was a little full, which I thought was strange considering she was sleeping when we came home and it has been dark for over an hour.

I started playing a footsie game with her where I wiggle my index finger and she tries to grab it with her feet. Sometimes playing this she gets excited and kind of rapidly lurches her head forward (not like a begging bob) which I had always thought was her sort of trying to regurgitate although she's never brought anything up. Well tonight doing it she actually brought up some solid material. When I say solid I mean actual chunks, not mushy or half digested food but chunks (looked like the nuts we feed her as treats).

I know you shouldn't encourage regurgitation generally but I kept her going because I was worried this was why her crop was still full. She carried on bringing up the stuff. It was smelly, like really bad breath!

I'm wondering if anyone has encountered this and if it seems normal or should I be worried? She seems fine in herself, preening and acting normal.

Most Reactions

Latest posts