Feb 17, 2012
Katy, TX
Parrots
Tiels- Calypso & Syrio~
GCCs- Turq- Midori & Luna
Pine-Moonshine, YS-Sunshine ~
Linnies - Yoshi & Sonic~
Letties - Link and Nimbus~
So, I am not sure what I expected when I brought Midori home, but I certainly didn't expect SUCH a sweet cuddly baby. I know it helped that I went to see her every week at her breeder's and held her every time I went. And I know she is still very young at 9 weeks. I am just tickled to death that this change has been so smooth. She prefers to be out of her cage and on me as much as I will let her. I DO put her back in as often as I think is necessary since I know she can't be on me all the time and its a habit that I do not want to start, but DANG its really hard to put her up. If I put her on her play gym, she just finds a way to clumsily fly to me (her wings are clipped and she hadn't really learned to fly yet.) Her determination to get back to me is quite endearing. She takes formula from me very well, and is eating a great seed, fruit, pellet mix from mysafebirdstore.com. She has also had a bit of fruit. She has had some water but not much, but since she is still on 2 formula feedings a day, I know she gets alot of her fluid intake with that. She has started talking to me. She makes the little ducky sounds that I repeat back to her. I talk to her tons so hopefully she may talk back one day but its just fine if she doesn't. We also have started training. Just a little. She knows step up very well, and now we are working on step down. Anyway now that my novel is finished (HA) I am going to get back to my sweet baby! Have a GREAT day all!!!

lexx510

Mar 13, 2011
Bay Area, CA
Parrots
Pineapple Green Cheek Conure
I'm glad things are going so well. They are such a joy, aren't they? Word of caution - don't be surprised if she develops a bit of an attitude a few months from now, though. Baby GCC tend to present them selves as little angels for the first few months of their lives, but I assure you that there is a little demon in there somewhere, too lol. It's their nature to be a little moody, stubborn, and nippy - otherwise, they are total sweet hearts.

wenz2712

Banned
Banned
Nov 16, 2011
Media
Im really pleased Midori has settled in so well!! It sounds like you are loving every minute of her :D

OP
DaCoSim

DaCoSim

Feb 17, 2012
Katy, TX
Parrots
Tiels- Calypso & Syrio~
GCCs- Turq- Midori & Luna
Pine-Moonshine, YS-Sunshine ~
Linnies - Yoshi & Sonic~
Letties - Link and Nimbus~
Thx guys! I really am. I have always wanted a parrot, my whole life. I've only owned cockatiels, budgies, and love birds. After my last encounter with the love birds, I was a little leary. I got them as babies, but they were extremely hard to tame. I got the female tame enough to step up, and she would occasionally get on my shoulder but that was the extent of it after 7 months or so. My friend from work was moving out of her parent's house and she is as big a bird lover as me. She took on the love birds and is doing pretty well with them. I know all birds can get attitudes so am waiting for that day lol. I have a feeling her attitude will be centered around her being the center of attention. Luckily I am a stay at home mom during the day, and only work 2-4 evenings a week for a few hours having me home around 9 on Sun-Mon-Tues and between 10-11 on Sats. I also only work Sat-Sun around twice a month. John seems to like her, too, though he'll prob never admit it, lol. Morgan (our dog) actually seems a little jealous, which is strange since she is not jealous of any of our other animals. I will be watching her very closely.

roxynoodle

Dec 1, 2011
It will be an exciting journey for you! And yes, keep an eye on the jealous dog. I think at least as many problems can happen from jealousy as predatory instincts.

Most Reactions