Snapping fingers instead of clicker?

coral3

Aug 4, 2012
Australia
Parrots
'Ringo' - alexandrine, hatched 2012 ~ 'Prinny' - princess parrot, 1992-2012 RIP
Trying to think of something to use in place of a clicker...I don't want to have to hang on to a clicker all the time. I know many people use the word 'good' or 'good bird', but I'd rather come up with something else as I know I'll just confuse the bird by saying those words at other times.

Wondered if any one has had success with snapping fingers?

(I tried a search, but can't find anything on this particular query)

lene1949

Sep 26, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Parrots
Cory: Short billed Corella -
Echo: Galah -
Max: Alexandrine -
Skye: Yellow Sided conure -
Luka: Green Cheek Conure -
RIP Shrek: Quaker
I haven't, but I've heard a tongue click works... It's all in the timing...

Use a bunch of keys, throw them up in the air and when the reach their highest point, click/whistle/clapyourhands... anything really... It's all in the timing...

sonja

Jul 31, 2012
You can absolutely use your voice instead of a clicker. I do it with my dogs. So much easier than carrying around a clicker all the time. I use an "eh" sound--- it's quick and short and sharp, so there is no delay in marking the desired behavior. I don't think I could be so precise with snapping my fingers.

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
Tongue "clicking", clicking a pen, a word, phrase, etc. You can use whatever you like as the bridge as long as you make it clear and precise what the bridge is for the behavior.

khaiqha

Sep 19, 2012
Lewisville, TX
Parrots
Alexandrine Ringneck,
about to be getting a Jardine's
I keep he clicker on my keychain and I like it for several reasons.

1) I don't get tired doing it over and over.

2) The timing is really important. My Alex stops whatever he's doing when he hears the click and looks for his reward. This has made it really easy to capture certain things.

3) I secretly clicker train my friends' dogs when they aren't paying attention. It's awesome.

Artist

Sep 16, 2012
North Carolina
Parrots
Sundrop "twitters" -cocketiel 17 yrs old;
Vinnie -Senegal 7 years old
I use my mouth to make a clicking sound. I first tried with a clicker, but found it very cumbersome. now, I have my hands free for other things and I don't have to worry about finding the clicker. My bird will make the click sound when ever she thinks she has done a good job. It is so cute.

94lt1

Nov 9, 2012
SouthEast TX
Parrots
Monte..Scarlet macaw, Seminole...yellow napped amazon, Starburst... sun conure...Rain, cinnamon green cheek.
The clicker wouldn't work for my scarlet. .. It aggravated him.. idk why, but I learned quickly that a very happy and positive "good bird" was the way to go with him...and a bit of honey Graham cracker :D

Most Reactions

Latest posts