So emotional

Status
Not open for further replies.

LadyE

Jan 6, 2017
Parrots
Indian Ringneck-Kico
2 Budgies-Kiki&Lora
This all sounds like attention seeking to me. First I doubt cat grabbed it that hard, maybe caught it with it's paws but doubt it grabbed it by his mouth(guessing though), second bird looks just ok in photo in it's thread, doesn't barely alive, third who on Earth is more worried about getting some specific photo of a bird for a collection when bird is supposed to be dying?! And last, I doubt any vet anywhere will refuse to at least give some pain killers and simply check badly injured animal! In my town there isn't so many vets at all and yet I never heard of a situation that badly injured animal wasn't accepted immediately when any of those vets was called.
Now, I don't know how old are you but I'm guessing REALLY young as this all looks like just attention seeking thread and lack of parents care. Regardless I hope bird does fine and please consider getting more responsible owner for these birds, you're clearly too young to take care for them and cat and bird in home are a no go. Yes some can manage to live together well enough but this goes for adult people who pay attention to both cat and bird and more with bigger birds than smaller ones. I had cats in past while having a bird too and they never had any contact, cat will always lurk on those birds ho to reach them but birds were always out of reach to a cat so there was no danger whatsoever to a bird. you saying you closed the door and don't know how cat got in there...makes no sense, he's not a ghost, couldn't walk in there through a wall so you or someone else opened the door clearly

FaeryBee

Mar 3, 2016
Reston, Virginia
Parrots
Three lovebirds
Pedro
Poppy
Peachy

Nine Budgies
Skipper
Scooter
Sparky
Samara
Seffra
Solomon
Soterion
Slider
Springer
Personally, I’m questioning the wisdom of even having birds when you “can’t afford a quarantine cage”, "have no vet care available", "sister wants my birds dead" and you obviously are not following best practices when it comes to caring for your animals.

Perhaps the kindest and most loving thing you can do for all of your birds would be to rehome them to someone who has the experience and financial means to care for them in a safe and loving home with no cats or dogs?

ToMang07

Jul 14, 2015
Maine, USA
Parrots
Willow the Umbrella Cockatoo
My sister is 13.

I have no friends.

I don't want to stress him, so I've been leaving him alone. I check on him occasionally to make sure he's ok.

I'll be off the forums for a couple hours, I've got babysitting to do, homework, and a bird to check on.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

School too, seeing as it's the middle if the day on a Tuesday.

BS%20Flag_zpsromqrqsz.gif

LadyE

Jan 6, 2017
Parrots
Indian Ringneck-Kico
2 Budgies-Kiki&Lora
Personally, I’m questioning the wisdom of even having birds when you “can’t afford a quarantine cage”, "have no vet care available", "sister wants my birds dead" and you obviously are not following best practices when it comes to caring for your animals.

Perhaps the kindest and most loving thing you can do for all of your birds would be to rehome them to someone who has the experience and financial means to care for them in a safe and loving home with no cats or dogs?

My thoughts exactly. In best interest of those birds would be to rehome them somewhere where people can take good care of them and have enough time to devote to them

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
And for a parent to say "its not worth it"..I don't believe that either! THAT is a cruel thing to say to a "child"! I know that if my child had a "pet" that was injured...even if it was just a FROG..I'd be taking that critter to a vet ASAP for MY kid!
This whole thread smells fishy...at the least!

Jim

SassiBird

May 10, 2016
Media
Albums
Minnesota
Parrots
Black Capped Conure - Sassafras - 2015; GCC Rosalita - 2018; GCC Apple Blossom - 2018
Please try to find a parrot group or rescue in your area. You may get lucky and find someone who is willing to help you get treatment for your bird.
I can understand that your parents are not willing to seek treatment or spend the money. Mine wouldn't have when I was still at home. However, please use this a learning opportunity. Start saving money for an emergency fund for your other birds. It sounds like you are their sole protector.
I'll be thinking of you. Good luck.

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
Please try to find a parrot group or rescue in your area. You may get lucky and find someone who is willing to help you get treatment for your bird.
I can understand that your parents are not willing to seek treatment or spend the money. Mine wouldn't have when I was still at home. However, please use this a learning opportunity. Start saving money for an emergency fund for your other birds. It sounds like you are their sole protector.
I'll be thinking of you. Good luck.

I agree wholeheartedly. Finding a rescue/parrot group in your area is probably the best thing for your budgie. Maybe you're just not ready for a bird at this point in your life. Fact is, life happens. And you just never know when or how things might go sideways for you and your bird. If you don't have the means - whether financially or in terms of transportation - to care for your birds in an emergency, then you are simply not prepared for the realities of bird ownership right now.

I don't say this to be harsh or mean. I understand that you are apparently quite young and that many of these things are simply beyond your control. But I'm being honest, here. The most loving thing you can do for your birds at the moment is to put them up for adoption. If you check with a local rescue, perhaps they'll even come out to you to pick up your birds. Please consider this course of action and move on it quickly. Your wounded budgie might not have too much time left.

EllenD

Aug 20, 2016
State College, PA
Parrots
Senegal Parrot named "Kane"; Yellow-Sided Green Cheek Conure named "Bowie"; Blue Quaker Parrot named "Lita Ford"; Cockatiel named "Duff"; 8 American/English Budgie Hybrids; Ringneck Dove named "Dylan"
How in the world were you able to get to the pet store to buy a new budgie and how were you able to pay for it, when the budgie you already have is at home dying and "has no chance for survival"? Why in the world would "emergency vet clinics be the only places you haven't called" when this was an emergency?

You have no money, no car, no ride...But you get to the pet store and buy a new budgie? And put it in an already filthy cage....And are asking for names for the new bird, while your old bird is in a shoebox somewhere, apparently dying from 2 cat scratched?

Either all of this is a lie, or (and I hate to say this) you are glad the other bird is dying (or already dead) because you got a new bird out of it. I'm doubting everything you've said, including your age, driving capabilities, money, etc.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

EllenD

Aug 20, 2016
State College, PA
Parrots
Senegal Parrot named "Kane"; Yellow-Sided Green Cheek Conure named "Bowie"; Blue Quaker Parrot named "Lita Ford"; Cockatiel named "Duff"; 8 American/English Budgie Hybrids; Ringneck Dove named "Dylan"
How in the world were you able to get to the pet store to buy a new budgie and how were you able to pay for it, when the budgie you already have is at home dying and "has no chance for survival"? Why in the world would "emergency vet clinics be the only places you haven't called" when this was an emergency?

You have no money, no car, no ride...But you get to the pet store and buy a new budgie? And put it in an already filthy cage....And are asking for names for the new bird, while your old bird is in a shoebox somewhere, apparently dying from 2 cat scratched?

Either all of this is a lie, or (and I hate to say this) you are glad the other bird is dying (or already dead) because you got a new bird out of it. I'm doubting everything you've said, including your age, driving capabilities, money, etc.

And just to clarify, I don't mean to be harsh, and if you really are 15 then please take my advice. Do not tell one lie after another after another, you can't make it better you just bury yourself...

I'm sure you can see the problem with telling us your bird is dying, you can't find a vet but you didn't call emergency vets for some reason, then you tell us you're only 15, have no ride or money for a vet so the bird "has no chance for survival", then somehow, miraculously, while your bird is dying in a shoebox with no vet care because you're only 15 and have no money and no ride, you manage to get yourself "to a pet store by 5:00 to get a new parrot" and are not only able to get there but you have the $20-$30 a new budgie costs...That ride and $30 could have gotten your "dying" bird antibiotics and pain meds...

Try to understand where people are coming from instead of coping out and saying "I'm only 15, cut me some slack"...I mean, the new bird thing was too much, too soon.

The bottom line is that we don't know your real story or situation, but we care about your budgie because we're 100% positive he can't drive himself to the vet and pay for antibiotics.

OP
ParrotLover2001

ParrotLover2001

Dec 20, 2016
In my parents house
Parrots
A cockatiel, a bourke, and three budgies

And just to clarify, I don't mean to be harsh, and if you really are 15 then please take my advice. Do not tell one lie after another after another, you can't make it better you just bury yourself...

I'm sure you can see the problem with telling us your bird is dying, you can't find a vet but you didn't call emergency vets for some reason, then you tell us you're only 15, have no ride or money for a vet so the bird "has no chance for survival", then somehow, miraculously, while your bird is dying in a shoebox with no vet care because you're only 15 and have no money and no ride, you manage to get yourself "to a pet store by 5:00 to get a new parrot" and are not only able to get there but you have the $20-$30 a new budgie costs...That ride and $30 could have gotten your "dying" bird antibiotics and pain meds...

Try to understand where people are coming from instead of coping out and saying "I'm only 15, cut me some slack"...I mean, the new bird thing was too much, too soon.

The bottom line is that we don't know your real story or situation, but we care about your budgie because we're 100% positive he can't drive himself to the vet and pay for antibiotics.

I thought people finally forgot about this. I'm open to all and any advise, as long as I can keep my birds happy and healthy.

Chrissy is acting like his old self now, singing, playing, eating. The only difference is I'm trying to let him recover and he's trying to get me to do his training. Just 3 more weeks of recovery and I'll slowly start his training again.

plumsmum2005

Nov 18, 2015
England, UK
Parrots
Lou, Ruby, and Sonu.
Fly free Plum, my gorgeous boy.

I thought people finally forgot about this. I'm open to all and any advise, as long as I can keep my birds happy and healthy.

Chrissy is acting like his old self now, singing, playing, eating. The only difference is I'm trying to let him recover and he's trying to get me to do his training. Just 3 more weeks of recovery and I'll slowly start his training again.

Unfortunately it didnt get written in disappearing ink!

Maybe you could reward all the good and positive, caring advice given by our committed members with some new pics of Chrissy? :)

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
I am closing this thread at the request of the OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most Reactions