So I found this poor guy....

dishgal1

May 1, 2012
Texas
Parrots
Forrest -Yellow sided Green Cheek Conure, Nacho- Sun Conure
I doubt it is beak and feather....I'm no expert but his beak looks good. Hate to hear your other birds are exposed to his skin disorder. Did you not quarantine them at all?

aeriejones

Aug 1, 2012
The bacterial infection isn't contagious luckily.:)
Then on top of everything I think he's going through a semi molt, my other two are going through a major molt. But I spoke to two vets today, the medicine has been ordered.
He's going to be the sexiest eclectus, I've ever seen. I just know it:p

The woman I got him from, I've tried contacting her but she wont pick up. Probably never took him to the vet and fed him seeds from what I see.

Time to put him to bed

Thanks everyone! This is my first time on a forum and just because I googled my buddy.

Oedipussrex

Jun 3, 2012
Australia
Parrots
Charlie - Galah
his beak does look much better than pickle's beak (who has got pbfd).

but there aren't really guaranteed signs, just things that may or may not be shown...

look at the feathers he is growing in. are they the right size, the right colour, growing at the right rate, etc? (Pickle is much more advanced) but his feathers are stunted and have this kind -of 'pinched' look to them, like they never really leave the sheath before they drop out and they don't fan out like they are supposed to, like something is pinching the base of the feather.

>It looks like some of the feathers around his neck are yellow in the pictures..? do you know if the bacteria you are treating him for can cause this? because (from my little experience) that would send little red flags up for me about his feather and/or liver health...

There are blood tests for pbfd but they aren't wholly reliable either way, and the best way to test it is to test an affected feather. Of course this way you can be sure a positive is a positive, but if you happen to send in a feather that is unaffected you can still have false negatives...

hope everything turns out well and he hasn't given your other guys anything either. <3 :)

Last edited:

aeriejones

Aug 1, 2012
Yes, He's got yellow feathers. Poor nutrition and folicle damage.

My dad just told me that when he took him to the vet, the vet said that he didn't have anything contagious. So that made me relax.
My baby is just so rough with himself. He pulls at his feathers all the time and just ruins them.

I will go look at the 'pinching' for his new feathers coming in.

And he's had 3 or 4 blood tests so far and his liver is super healthy. I worry about everything with these guys.

aeriejones

Aug 1, 2012
Thank-you everyone who was worried about Mr. Peppers aka GOGO.
We got him at the end of April and have spent THOUSANDS on vet visits. In the end his vet (Dr. Oliver in palisades) was fed up with him and decided to test him for EVERYTHING! No PBFD thank god.
His skin bacteria is finally gone. Thank god! no more shots
But a little bit of a liver problem, 2 internal bacteria and 1 fungus. :(
Poor guy, don't know what his life was before coming to me.

But, his skin is pinker than ever!:D and I don't want to jinx it but I see pretty green feathers coming in:p

He is the sweetest guy in my home, when the other birds fly around, he says 'Wooooo!'
I love him
and thank you everyone for caring for my little guy.

Most Reactions

Latest posts