So much for getting out of the foster game. This happened...

Brittany741

Feb 9, 2015
Atlanta, GA
Parrots
SI Eclectus (Ruby) - 11 / Eclectus (Wrangler) - 7 / Eclectus (Pinto) - 6 /
Red Sided Eclectus (Oliver) - 4 mos. /
White Bellied Caique (Dan) - 2 /
Foster Congo African Grey (Molly) - 6
Meet Ruby. Seriously in the running for worst neglect I've seen in awhile.

She hasn't been out of her cage in at least three years. Her cage was caked in poop. We stopped at the spray off car wash to pressure wash it, but it's up to me and she's never stepping foot in that prison again.

She was on an all-seed & pellet diet. She has never been outside. Her very few feathers were coated in a greasy mess. She began plucking after she was rehomed at age 4. She is now 9 and she will be cared for as best as I can.

She was in a completely rusted travel cage. I put her in the sun because she is such a naked little dinosaur. I bathed her in Vetericyn spray and let her dry for about 10 minutes in the warm sun and her remaining feathers actually have color. They were black from whatever the f$&@ happened to her.

Of course I began sobbing. I don't know how anyone could let this happen. Plucking happens for all sorts of reasons, but never coming out of her cage and never getting a bath?

$150 in groceries later, her toys in the dishwasher (and trashed the ones that couldn't be disinfected), and her quarantine has begun. She's been with us an hour. I'll be sending off a swab for disease testing on Monday.

Needless to say, she's eating better than us. Thanks to Anansi for the Eclectus diet link, it was much more comprehensive than anything else I've found. We will be prepping and freezing her mash over the next day (since the beans take time.)

Without further ado, meet Ruby.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    257.5 KB · Views: 305
Last edited:
OP
Brittany741

Brittany741

Feb 9, 2015
Atlanta, GA
Parrots
In our clean travel cage until I get her cage set up.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    248.1 KB · Views: 289
OP
Brittany741

Brittany741

Feb 9, 2015
Atlanta, GA
Parrots
And food prep for this sweet girl. Wondering if we should rename her to signify her second chance.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    237.8 KB · Views: 297

Uglow

Jan 19, 2016
Chicago
Parrots
That's incredibly sad. But's so wonderful she's got a new loving family. If she only knew how good things were about to get. :)

OP
Brittany741

Brittany741

Feb 9, 2015
Atlanta, GA
Parrots
The best news? She let my husband pick her up by placing his hand under her belly to move her into our clean travel cage. Can't wait to throw that rusty thing in the dumpster. If I wasn't crippled, I would take a sledge hammer to it to get out my anger.

I already had huge success in the few hours we've had her. She went bananas for Golden'Obles. As soon as the various mashes are done, we'll see how she does with fresh food.

She steps up almost like a baby does, somewhat unsure. She hasn't even thought about biting. Being my first Eclectus, this is a huge relief for me. I am so over having Greys bite me to the bone.

I can already tell she has a sweet little spirit. When we got done with her bath and she dried in the warm outside, I brought her onto my bed while I laid down and we just watched TV side by side. This was before I ever tried to handle her.

Her cage is almost ready to go. My husband upgraded to nice casters. This cage is about twice the size of her old cage. I can't wait to see how she blossoms.

Opinions on renaming her something similar sounding, to honor her new lease on life?

camo

Jun 30, 2014
Parrots
Gizmo - Male Eclectus Parrot

Pebbles - Female Eclectus Parrot
I swore when I saw the picture, and you say this is after she was cleaned up!!!

When we came across our female (Pebbles), she was in a poultry auction held in large tin sheds on one of our Australian hot days (all I could think was what kind of owner would do that). It was clear she was understandably extremely stressed. We didn't plan to have two eclectus parrots, but the final bidder was the guy who buys all the roosters and crams them into the small transport boxes (I wasn't having that guy in charge of her future). Funds were short, but my hand stayed up.

What you show sounds like a much greater level of hell. I can't imagine the circumstances that could explain the treatment you describe, I doubt there could be any. I also can't imagine the restraint required (if you dealt with the previous owner).

Ruby is a nice name, but if saying that name at all reminds her of her past, then I would say new name.

Thank you so much for taking on her rehabilitation, I am looking forward to seeing this unhappy previous story develop into a happy future.

Cheers,

Cameron

P.S. As I write this, Pebbles has flown into the bathroom and is waiting for her shower

She is moulting the small feathers on her head, so she has been insisting on daily showers. Breakfast, then shower, if I don't come for her, she climbs out of her cage and will fly to the bathroom (she has really discovered her wings the last couple of months). Typing this, I forgot the routine, and I had to stop typing for her shower:D. It's a good feeling to know that Pebbles bad day now is being 15 min. late for her shower. I smile knowing what Ruby is probably yet to realise, that her future days will be only filled with similar "first world" problems:)

Mar 11, 2016
Centennial, CO
Parrots
Morgan- (2) PGCC, Merlin- GCC (10 months), Chi-Chi-female Mustache Parakeet ( 11 months) , Teddy-Budgie (6 months)
God Bless you for your kindness, knowledge and hard work. You are her angel and she will (hopefully) stop remembering her previous life sooner than later. I am so grateful you have her....Names? Eva or Evita means life, Phoenix means regenerated and Zoey means "life" in Greek. Just some thoughts....xo

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Aphrodite - red throated conure (RIP)
Wow Brittany what a bg heart you have. Good luck with the poor girl!

I like Hope :)

happy410

Jul 23, 2015
ALABAMA
Parrots
Happy, DYH Amazon
Tesla, Blue & Gold Macaw
Thank you for taking her. So glad she gets a chance for a happy life.

OP
Brittany741

Brittany741

Feb 9, 2015
Atlanta, GA
Parrots
HUGE UPDATE. Read the description on the videos. Worth the watch.

[ame="https://youtu.be/etNl38OFe2A"]Rescue Eclectus who hasn't been out of a cage in years tries her first real foods - YouTube[/ame]

And then it just gets better...

[ame="https://youtu.be/TNGzZoMd5V8"]Rescue Eclectus steps into a clean cage after living in filth for years - YouTube[/ame]

Evalin100

Apr 1, 2016
Oh my... My heart dropped when I opened the picture. So happy to know she's safe and cared for now.

I think it's a wonderful idea to rename her. I would call her Bliss. I think the meaning says it all :)

plumsmum2005

Nov 18, 2015
England, UK
Parrots
Lou, Ruby, and Sonu.
Fly free Plum, my gorgeous boy.
Thank you Brittany for taking Ruby and giving us the pics/videos to share.

She looks so much better and that she cant believe her eyes in her new cage.

Love 'Hope' also but there's also 'Faith' and 'Charity' as possibles?

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
Wow. Brittany, this thread has truly moved me. I can't tell you how happy I am that you've rescued her from her previous squalor. How people could treat any living thing that way is beyond me. It's sickening.

You're doing such a wonderful job with her, and in those videos you can almost see the wonder in her eyes as she looks around at her new circumstances.

Thank you so much for caring enough to give this sweet girl a new home.

I also like the idea of Faith as a new name. Given all she's been through, and the obvious lack of any attention, I doubt you need to worry about finding a similar sounding name. She probably hasn't been significantly interacted with in years.

ToMang07

Jul 14, 2015
Maine, USA
Parrots
Willow the Umbrella Cockatoo
Absolutely love the 2nd video, the look on that poor girls face says it all. Thank you.

Uglow

Jan 19, 2016
Chicago
Parrots
Those videos are incredibly awesome. I wasn't expecting to get teary eyed with my morning coffee. She's so sweet.
Please keep us updated.

I'm nominating you to be considered for The Best Parront Award for 2016 here on parrotforum.com ....that's a thing right? :22:

edit: I would also like to through my vote in for name Faith.

camo

Jun 30, 2014
Parrots
Gizmo - Male Eclectus Parrot

Pebbles - Female Eclectus Parrot
What great videos, thank you for sharing. It's great to see her taking in her new surroundings!! This story definitely hit a raw nerve for me yesterday, so to see these videos of new opportunity was nice.

Please keep us updated. I also like faith.

Cheers,

Cameron

OP
Brittany741

Brittany741

Feb 9, 2015
Atlanta, GA
Parrots
More breakthroughs today.

Little girl just loves us. Everything, every experience is new. She wasn't as voracious of an eater today but she absolutely loves bananas and attacks them. I've never had a bird take such HUGE bites and eat the entire thing with nearly zero waste.

The biggest thing today is she let me pet her beak a handful of times and her wing twice. She is the gentlest bird I've ever had. She touches my finger with her beak so gently I can barely feel it. She gave a brief warning which was the lightest ever pressure.

She wanted on my shoulder and preened my hair and did the same to my husband. It's been just over 24 hours and she's already making her sweet ekkie coos, which we simply can't get enough of.

As for names, we are thinking Lorelai. We shall see how it goes as she comes out of her shell.

Most Reactions

Latest posts