So much for getting out of the foster game. This happened...

Mar 11, 2016
Centennial, CO
Parrots
Morgan- (2) PGCC, Merlin- GCC (10 months), Chi-Chi-female Mustache Parakeet ( 11 months) , Teddy-Budgie (6 months)
I just cried watching those videos and reading your update....it is just amazing the fortitude of animals. She is going to come back 100% because of you and your husband. Thank you thank you thank you for showing her love and respect....xoxoxoxo

OP
Brittany741

Brittany741

Feb 9, 2015
Atlanta, GA
Parrots
SI Eclectus (Ruby) - 11 / Eclectus (Wrangler) - 7 / Eclectus (Pinto) - 6 /
Red Sided Eclectus (Oliver) - 4 mos. /
White Bellied Caique (Dan) - 2 /
Foster Congo African Grey (Molly) - 6
I discovered she talks this morning, and I just happened to be filming.
[ame="http://youtu.be/hM12xQJlF7g"]She speaks! - YouTube[/ame]

And she loves to eat, thanks to the valuable resources shared here. She has zero interest in anything but fresh. I was concerned it would take awhile to get her turned on to it but those concerns were completely unfounded.
[ame="http://youtu.be/KQYKc5zB4eo"]Rescue Eclectus goes from 100% junk to 100% healthy eating overnight - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited:
OP
Brittany741

Brittany741

Feb 9, 2015
Atlanta, GA
Parrots

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
Sweet!!! I love it! She's just been waiting for you to come into her life! I love that you're doing this for her.

And switching seamlessly from junk to fresh foods?!? That's amazing!

OP
Brittany741

Brittany741

Feb 9, 2015
Atlanta, GA
Parrots
Two more wonderful days. Today, she went full on kissy-attack mode. She is SO GENTLE but tried like crazy to give me kisses and get in my mouth. Unreal.

We did finally need to towel her for a cloacal swab, to run a complete panel of tests through Animal Genetics since the baby boy Ekkie comes home next week. Even with quarantine, I don't think we can be cautious enough and I also want to rule out any obvious cause for her plucking.

She is just the sweetest bird we've ever had. We are totally in love. She's definitely NOT a foster.

Laura729

Mar 6, 2015
She is beautiful!! And I'm so glad she found such a wonderful home with you. Her story and her sweet, gentle nature remind me of my female ekkie foster from several years ago. :)

plumsmum2005

Nov 18, 2015
England, UK
Parrots
Lou, Ruby, and Sonu.
Fly free Plum, my gorgeous boy.
Two more wonderful days. Today, she went full on kissy-attack mode. She is SO GENTLE but tried like crazy to give me kisses and get in my mouth. Unreal.

We did finally need to towel her for a cloacal swab, to run a complete panel of tests through Animal Genetics since the baby boy Ekkie comes home next week. Even with quarantine, I don't think we can be cautious enough and I also want to rule out any obvious cause for her plucking.

She is just the sweetest bird we've ever had. We are totally in love. She's definitely NOT a foster.

That's super news Brittany, great stuff! I'm sure that I do not really need to remind that our mouths are out of bounds for our fids health sake. :)

OP
Brittany741

Brittany741

Feb 9, 2015
Atlanta, GA
Parrots
That's super news Brittany, great stuff! I'm sure that I do not really need to remind that our mouths are out of bounds for our fids health sake. :)

I had to redirect her. I let her preen my hair and hands instead 😊

Mariar

May 9, 2014
Clearwater Florida but grew up in Wisconsin
Parrots
Doolie,Yellow nape amazon(r.i.p.03/10/15)
Sissy,severe macaw(rescued on 03-16-15) chirpy,sparrow(beak less) jack,Jill,chase,fiona,finch, and tiger,sulfer crested(rescued 04/15/20
What wonderful videos,so glad you found each other!

coopedup

Apr 8, 2016
CA
Parrots
7y/o eclectus Wrangler
glad your story worked out better than mine. I was looking at cages and saw the bird--couldnt leave her. Owner was a retired breeder and she was a leftover ...he tried to sell her to me but even as a novice i could see she was in bad shape. We struck a deal for the cage (which i thought was too small) and I'd foot the vet bills and give him $50 for her if she lived. I had the vet visit scheduled before I picked her up, she spent a day there getting treatments but passed later that night. Very sad, but Im glad I tried to help her.
Good news is, because of her Im totally hooked on eclectus now :D

OP
Brittany741

Brittany741

Feb 9, 2015
Atlanta, GA
Parrots
Wow I am so incredibly sorry that happened ��

cottontiel

Apr 8, 2016
Unfortunately some people just don't view animals as being worthy of love and respect. :( They're simply food or accessories. You prove that this is obviously NOT the case!
Just goes to show that a little compassion goes a long way with these beauties. Treat them like family and they will do the same!

I'm in love with that shot of the fresh groceries. I want to start making birdie mash too! Totally inspired. Can't wait for more updates and videos! :)

coopedup

Apr 8, 2016
CA
Parrots
7y/o eclectus Wrangler
Brittany, Im happy your ekkie met you, the world needs more generous hearts---I knew when I took mine on she likely wouldnt make it but I had to try. I hadnt heard of ekkies before i met "bird" ...she had no name...but as I said, the good news is now Im hooked. And to think I was considering doves! I will post a pic of her sleeping on my chest the first night and soaking up the sun in the vets office, if i can figure out how. New to forum stuff. Her last day was full of snuggles, sun, and being hand fed oranges and apples.

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
...I will post a pic of her sleeping on my chest the first night and soaking up the sun in the vets office, if i can figure out how. New to forum stuff. Her last day was full of snuggles, sun, and being hand fed oranges and apples.

Here you go: http://www.parrotforums.com/technical-support/6287-how-post-pictures.html

Page 1 has detailed instructions and example pics on how to do so from your personal forum album.

Page 3 has detailed instructions and example pics on how to post pics from Photobucket.

Looking forward to seeing those pics, and I think it's wonderful that you gave that poor ekkie at least one day where she was cared for and loved.

Most Reactions