So my dad is in the ICU..

Timothy

Aug 16, 2014
Port Richey, Florida
Parrots
Blue & Gold Macaw [Maya] // Sun Conure Baby [Zippo] // 2 Lovebirds [Nibblet & Nellie]
He's been in the hospital over a week now, yesterday they moved him to the ICU.
He originally went in due to difficulty breathing, and high BP. When he got there his BP was 203/110.
He started having atrial fibrillation (which i myself have) and they wanted to do what they did with me 2 yrs ago, stop his heart and start it up again.

After further examining him, his valves are 80% blocked and they are discussing surgery.
I am just really overwhelmed. I have a lot on my plate right now with everything happening in my life and this just devastated me.

My dad and I have always butted heads, we've gotten into more fist fights than i can count. I broke his nose on more than one occasion, and he broke mine just as much.
There was a whole year i never even spoke to him. And i was even living in the same house..
But recently, over the last 2 years, we have been getting along really well, best friends. Dad and Son.

I am so depressed right now I don't know what to do. I don't even want to get out of bed. My Flock is depressed with me it seems.
I don't know why i'm posting this here. Most of you hardly know me at all, i just joined a month ago. I just really needed to write something somewhere and this was the only place whee certain lurking family members wouldnt catch wind of the situation..

:( i'm not doing too good.

Last edited:

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
I'm so sorry this is happening with your dad. Hopefully, the doctors will be able to successfully operate and he will get back to healthy soon. I'm sure your flock senses something is off with you and reacting. I hope they give you some extra nice bird love:)

Mango121913

Aug 9, 2014
Ripley WV
Parrots
Solomon Island Eclectus
Man, tough days. I will keep you and your family in my prayers. My father and I were in similar situations, well not the fighting part, I feel I had an advantage in better shape and I think he knew i could take him:54:.
Gotta keep your spirits up too.
They do these operations alot nowadays, keep that in mind. So, just some advice, go and see him often, don't think or speak negative around him. Keep in touch with the doctors on a daily basis. Don't be afraid to speak your mind to the doctor if you feel he's not being attentive to your father or your needs, but privately, away from your dad. Your dad's gonna be scared and your job is to comfort him at this time. During recovery, you will need to help push him along to get back to where he was beforehand. Long, tough road ahead, but I feel that with your help and the kind of person you seem to be, you will conquer this together.
I'm not sure how he feels about your flock, maybe after he's out of icu, someone could tag along for a visit. :)
Godspeed my friend, keep your head up Tim.

OP
Timothy

Timothy

Aug 16, 2014
Port Richey, Florida
Parrots
Blue & Gold Macaw [Maya] // Sun Conure Baby [Zippo] // 2 Lovebirds [Nibblet & Nellie]
Thanks guys. I'm feeling a lot better about the situation now that i've had time to let it sink in. I thank you for your prayers Mango. I'm going to go see him tomorrow morning. He called and half of the conversation was him "flirting" with the young nurse in the background so i guess he's in ok spirits. He was really mad the other day cause they weren't giving his meds on time cause they needed to get all approvals for it. He's not fun when he's late on his morphine dose (He's a Vietnam Vet) I went out and walked around the mall with my mom for a bit. That helped us both quite a bit. I'm sure he'll be fine :)

Edit: Oh and by the way, he absolutely adores my flock. Especially Maya. The day he went into the hospital i began teaching him how to properly hand feed. He was all disappointed cause he was looking forward to this after watching me for so long. :(

Last edited:

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
I wish the very best for both you and your dad, Timothy.

Allowing yourself to vent with empathetic folks will certainly help your well-being while the medical professionals do their part.

Hang in there and keep us up to date as you can.

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
Timothy, I'm so sorry to read about your dad :( I too have said a prayer for you and your dad. Like Mangos dad said, keep on the doctors and medical team. Make sure you know what exactly is going on. The VA hospitals as with any hospital unfortunately can be hit or miss.

Good that he's in good enough spirits to be flirting with the nurses lol. Remind him he needs to recover soon to help hand feed those birds! A positive attitude with things to look forward to do make a huge psychological impact on one's recovery :) Hang in there. We're here...

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Timothy, I am so sorry to hear about your Dad. That is great that he is feeling well enough to flirt with the nurses now:)
I will keep your Dad, and your family, in my prayers.
And I am glad you posted, we are here for you.

OP
Timothy

Timothy

Aug 16, 2014
Port Richey, Florida
Parrots
Timothy, I'm so sorry to read about your dad :( I too have said a prayer for you and your dad. Like Mangos dad said, keep on the doctors and medical team. Make sure you know what exactly is going on. The VA hospitals as with any hospital unfortunately can be hit or miss.

Good that he's in good enough spirits to be flirting with the nurses lol. Remind him he needs to recover soon to help hand feed those birds! A positive attitude with things to look forward to do make a huge psychological impact on one's recovery :) Hang in there. We're here...

Aww Thank you RavensGryf (α΅”α΄₯α΅”) And Terry :) (α΅”α΄₯α΅”) You are all so nice. It really helps

Yeah, he's currently at Tampa General which is a great hospital. So I think he's in good hands

OP
Timothy

Timothy

Aug 16, 2014
Port Richey, Florida
Parrots
Ok so i was at the hospital today, they wouldnt let me bring a lovebird to visit him, so i showed him photo's of them and the sun conures today. That really mde him happy. he flipped through photo's for almost an hour. I spoke to his doctors and he has blood clots in his heart so they cant stop his heart and shock it to stop the a-fib. They need to do surgery and replace some valves in his heart. Or that's what the plan is so far, it might change they said. It's a lot to deal with.

PetoftheDay

Dec 27, 2010
Boston area, MA
Oh, dear - it is a good thing he is in the hospital, as blood clots in the heart can kill a person! I am glad you and he are working on getting along better, too. I lost my Dad just about a year ago, and miss him all the time. If you can bring yourself to give him a hug, tell him half of it is from me!

Hmmm, are any of your flock quiet enough to sneak them in? ;)

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
Timothy, I'm sorry to hear about your Dad. It's so tough to watch someone you love go through so much, it's hard for everyone. Please don't dwell on the rocky part of your relationship, it isn't fair to either of you. Enjoy the bond you have now and try hard to stay positive.

The photos was a very nice idea, I'm sure it made your dad feel better to share that with you. Keep your head up, my friend, and keep communicating.

Mango121913

Aug 9, 2014
Ripley WV
Parrots
Solomon Island Eclectus
What you're doing is good, hopefully they can dissolve the clots safely. I'm sure they will do whatever they can. More prayers comming your way, remember the body is an amazing thing. Keep his spirits up and try and keep him and you calm.
Good luck buddy!
As RavensGryf said, we're here for ya!

Featheredsamurai

Aug 24, 2011
California
Parrots
African Greg
2 cockatiels
I'm so sorry :( I know how you feel, 3 weeks ago my mom was in the ICU as well then stayed in the hospital for 2 weeks and the doctors kept telling us she was going to die, it was the scariest moment of my life and I felt dead inside. Rosie and Kenji were basically ignored and only got only pellet food and water, I was just so depressed and spending all my time at the hospital.

My thoughts are with you, and I hope things start to look up like they did with my mom. Having a parent be sick is just terrible. Your post made me tear up a little, so cool you two have made up in the last two years. Please keep us updated, hopefully with good news :smile015:

faeryphoebe1

Feb 1, 2013
Media
San Antonio, Texas
Parrots
Trixie, Sunny & Gonzoβ™‘β™‘β™‘
I'm so sorry that your father is ill. How stressful for you and your mom (and your dad, of course).

My thoughts are with you and your family.

4dugnlee

Apr 27, 2014
Ohio
Parrots
Sassy - 13 y.o. Blue Front Amazon, Cisco - 6 y.o. Sun Conure, Peanut - 8 y.o. U2
Fred - 2(?) y.o. Cockatiel, Ginger - 3 or 4(?) y.o. Cockatiel
Timothy, I wish you and your dad well. I will also pray for him and your family. I know how it is to have loved ones in the hospital. Stay strong and positive.

OP
Timothy

Timothy

Aug 16, 2014
Port Richey, Florida
Parrots
I don't quite know how to say this, but i'm so surprised. They released my dad today. And they cancelled the bypass surgery. Apparently the med's they've been giving him are working very well. I just have to make sure he takes them. Doc told me that if he even misses a day his lungs could fill up with fluid and he can drown.

This isn't the end. We have a long road ahead for recovery, but atleast he didn't need to have open heart surgery! (one of the doc's was still insisting but i guess he got out voted)

Thank you all for your thoughts and prayers. We really appreciate it. :)

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
Timothy, that's great news that surgery was cancelled, and that the meds are working that well! Gosh, you never want to have heart surgery unless absolutely needed! Keep us posted ;)

MrsKay

Jun 23, 2014
Media
Southern California
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure (Larry)
Canary (Norman)
Timothy, my prayers are with you and your father.
Don't really know the situation but... Just a thought, but... since he seems to love your birds.... possibly.... he gets a bird of his own?.... gives him a strong will?.... bonding all of you more?.... and something to look forward to?...
with you there to help?..... just a thought.

Most Reactions