thermodynamic

Apr 13, 2012
Stillwater, MN
Parrots
Rosie = Rescued Pineapple GCC,
Rusty = bought Cinnamon GCC,
Scooter = bought Normal GCC,
Tybbi MacGuyver = Rescued Blue Crown Conure
Banfield is Petsmart's branded hospital chain. The location I called does support exotic birds, though others nearer by don't. :mad:

$43 for the basic checkup, plus bloodwork costs. :53:

I know there's a closer vet clinic that does take care of birds, but their cost would be $300 on up.

I can swing it either way, but prefer a cheaper cost unless Banfield's quality is reputedly low, in which case I'll happily go to the other clinic. If a blood test is just carefully taking a sample and mixing reagents into some tubes and determining ailments by seeing the reagent's color change, then it's no big whoop.

Have you heard anything good or bad re: Banfield and exotic birds?

Thanks!

---
Another Tybbi update, while still skittish, she is acquiescing to being picked up more readily. At this rate, by next week, if I'm reading her body language right, she will be much tamer. She is a little darling for sure, but with time I hope she bonds as much as she acquiesces to stepping up! I want her to bond and not just be an object. And vice-versa.

cdog

Feb 20, 2012
Newbury Park, CA
Parrots
Sully-2 year old cinnamon and Bella-3 year old normal
breeding pair of gcc, Scooter & BeeBee-Sully and Bella's normal son's, Rosey- Bella and Sully's cinnamon daughter, Ella & Sunny-American budgies
Don't go to Banfield, go to a certified avian vet. Too many birds have died from not going to a certified avian vet. It will cost more but it is much safer and worth it.

greycloud

Mar 21, 2010
Baltimore, MD
Parrots
Sammy-Umbrella Too-rescued,
Dexter-CAG-rehomed handicapped,
Sterling-CAG-rehomed retired breeder.
Sunshine-12 yo CAG-adopted
I agree with cdog!

JamesC

Sep 3, 2011
Knoxville, TN
Parrots
Blue Crown Conures: Tootsie and Rosco.
Senegal Parrot: Sidney.

Feathers of the past:
Budgies: Sunshine, Digit, Kiwi, and Yahto.
Senegal Parrot: Kelly.
"Fly free, little ones. Love and miss you."
I would have to agree about looking for a certified avian vet as well. Locally to me there is a vet that promotes herself as a "Bird and exotic" vet. But she was anything but as I almost learned the tragic way with Tootsie. I was fooled by the name of her clinic with that in the name but she is not certified and I would never go there again for any reason.

Do your research as best as you can on any vet you are considering. Just because they accept bird patients does not mean that they are all that experienced with them. I sometimes wonder if I would not have lost my first Senegal Kelly if I had known to go to a certified vet instead of the one that "handles the birds".

A good avian vet is worth any extra cost and possibly travel time. I drive 45 minutes each way to take my birds to an awesome vet near West Palm Beach, FL. If you lived anywhere within reasonable driving distance from there I would not be able to recommend her enough.

OP
T

thermodynamic

Apr 13, 2012
Stillwater, MN
Parrots

cdog

Feb 20, 2012
Newbury Park, CA
Parrots
Sully-2 year old cinnamon and Bella-3 year old normal
breeding pair of gcc, Scooter & BeeBee-Sully and Bella's normal son's, Rosey- Bella and Sully's cinnamon daughter, Ella & Sunny-American budgies

IcyWolf

Jul 5, 2011
Etters, Pa
Parrots
~Alexandrine Parakeet~2 Red Lored Amazons~Blue Fronted Amazon~Black capped conure~4 Green Cheeks~4 Parrotlets~2 lineolated parakeets~9 American budgies~9 English budgies~ And lots of babies :)
I don't really think you can generalize a good vet vs a bad vet based strictly on whether or not they are avian certified. I've heard some horror stories from people that went to certified vets and I've heard great things from people that have regular vets that also treat birds. It depends on the specific vet and getting references is the best thing you can do. It may take a bit to find a good vet you can trust but it's well worth it. Now I will say, I've only ever taken our birds to one vet and she is avian certified, I don't know if I just got lucky or what but I absolutely love her! She is great with the birds and really knows her stuff. If there is a bird club in your area, attend one of their meetings and get some opinions from them, that should help.

As far as banfield goes, I'm sure not all of them are bad but I have never heard anything good about any of them. I actually worked at a petsmart a few years ago and the store was only about 5 years old at the time. We had a brand new bandfield facility, it was so nice, lots of room to work, but no vet would work there so it was never opened. From my understanding, banfield operates by leasing out the "clinic" to a licensed vet who in turn has to pay the corporation x amount of dollars every month. The store I worked at could never find a vet willing to do it, whether it was because of the cost or the bad reputation banfield has made for itself, I have no idea, but even now, the banfield part of that store remains empty.

Trina

Jun 23, 2012
Nashville tn
Parrots
Screech - Sun Conure
Gitana - Eclectus
I agree Banfield is not a good choice for birdies..They chopped my conures feathers about a year ago..I mean chopped not cut , he dropped like a rock even though i told them i wanted him to be able to glide...

I thought it would be okay just for wings since Bon Aqua is 60 miles from me, the banfield short cut didnt work out..

My friends parakeets also got wing chopped at banfield, they both drop like rocks..IMO if they cant clip wings as the owner asks then i cant trust them with serious issues

patch

May 14, 2012
Parrots
Nanday mutation
Do some research online, I say. I go to an animal hospital that has two vets that specialize in exotic animals, and they both have a lot of experience and are great to work with. A simple visit is only $40! I trust them; on my first visit, they gave me a lot of printed information, had book recommendations and mentioned some bird magazines I might be interested in. I didn't get a blood test the first visit because he had one a few weeks prior at the same vet.

OP
T

thermodynamic

Apr 13, 2012
Stillwater, MN
Parrots
I think y'all talked me out of banfield, thanks!

And another Tybbi update - she didn't get 1/10th as scared when getting her out of her cage. She was still anxious to get to the playgym, but she does - so far - seem to be increasingly responsive! yay!

Oh, the last 2 days she's acted like an alarm clock at 6:15 - right down to a perfect cadence of an alarm tone... she is an awesome bird... :D One day I'll have to post about the discussion Tybbi and I had, as she picked up on the vocalizations context seemingly perfectly...

Most Reactions

Latest posts