Cage shy?

Furf

Jun 2, 2012
Parrots
Maggie & Gonzo - Nanday Conures
So I have had my Nanday's for almost 2 weeks now Whenever I am home. and I mean whenever. Their door is open. And all they seem to do is sit on the one perch in their cage. Gonzo will move a little when I get close, but Maggie will go and hide on the inside roof of the cage.

When I am home I am in the living room with them. On the couch mainly. Its still non stop screaming. I am ok with that. But its the fact that they NEVER leave that perch or come out of the cage.

As I am typing this an Idea came to me. Would it be ok if I put a food dish on the outside. To help get them out and about. I am think for exercise purposes. Bonding with them is not a HUGE concern. I would rather them still be able to move about and what not.

I would just like some Ideas to get them to move around a bit more. Or should I just get them a whole new cage all together. and Toss their old one?

Also They seem to have no interest in their toys which they used to love coming from previous owner so I am going to be putting together a new order Friday.

Last edited:

MacawGuy

Jun 12, 2012
Indiana
Parrots
B&G Macaw
Is there cage small. Have you try putting ur hand and there to have them step up. Have you try open the door and leave the room for awhile.

OP
F

Furf

Jun 2, 2012
Parrots
Their Cage is 24x20x50ish. I think its small. When my hand is in there changing food. My ears start to bleed from the screaming along with them moving away.

The cage is open from the time I wake up to the time I go to sleep. Only time I can get Gonzo out is when he is spooked by something and flys out then back to the top. And instantly back in.

MacawGuy

Jun 12, 2012
Indiana
Parrots
B&G Macaw
Get them a different cage. N find there favorite treat and try to had feed n gain there trust. Put a.food n water bowl on the outside of cage

OP
F

Furf

Jun 2, 2012
Parrots
Roger that... go go gadget Gone Paycheck! Friday I will place the order.

MaraWentz

Banned
Banned
Mar 27, 2012
Media
St.Leonard, MD
Parrots
Red Front Macaw, Elvis, 10,male RIP

Red Front Macaw, Erin, 1.5,female

Goffin Cockatoo, Blossom 2,female Rehomed

Blue & Gold Macaw, Oscar, Male, 21 years old, Rehomed

American Bulldog Mix,
lol that's the life of a bird owner.

OP
F

Furf

Jun 2, 2012
Parrots
MSBS Got my monies! large order of toys and forging dishes. $$$

And a new cage that I am going to pick up today! $$

Money in pocket....(Helllloooooooooo) Nope empty.

Happy Birds? I can only hope. I think I am more excited about the cage and the toys.

Most Reactions