So the crying continues with jet

Juliejet

Jan 25, 2014
Sydney AU
Parrots
Red tail Black Cockatoo
Well I am going to try something different if it is a behavioural thing I'm going to try this ,my daughter is going away for 3 nights tomorrow so I'm going to put jets cage in her room so he can't see me cause it's only when I'm around ,and every hr or so I will bring him out and as soon as he starts to cry I will take him back in the room and say no crying ( I think this will be virtually strait away) then I will just keep doing this for 3 days ,if it doesn't stop I will start crop feeding he is eating but I don't feel it is enough.

Q 1 how much and how often
Q2 will he depend on it and not eat anything else
Q3 do I use syringe or spoon I have doe syringe before

His life isn't really enjoyable because that's all he does even when he is playing,every one else in the house has been really patient but it's sending them and me crazy please tell me if this is a good idea or not something needs to be done :eek:

Featheredsamurai

Aug 24, 2011
California
Parrots
African Greg
2 cockatiels
man that sucks D: what types of foods are you feeding him currently? I haven't been following this story so I missed out on what's happened so far.

KimKim

May 5, 2013
Parrots
CAG
Why don't you just give him the formula now instead of waiting 3 days? You say you don't think he is eating enough... I really hope you can figure this out, he is breaking my heart :( if I was in your shoes, I would feed him the formula and try and wean him when he is ready, and give him the love he is begging for. But again, I do not own a black cockatoo, this is just what I feel is right to do. I think there is a member or two on this forum who does have black cockatoos, hopefully they see your threads and can help. Otherwise maybe try googling or calling a breeder to ask their opinions. I'm sure they would talk to you even though you didn't buy through them. Good luck, I'm so sorry your going through this.

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
Have you tried soaked pellets and handing it to him to eat??? I would only resort back to hand feed IF he's losing weight that's why you need to weight him daily. Some babies will cry and cry even though they're weaned, I had the youngest baby the went to her new home few weeks ago and she kept crying at the new home as well. But I know for sure she is weaned. I told them to keep observing her and they say she eats very well like a pig. They just messaged me yesterday telling me she's doing much better but still cries a bit but not as bad. Give the separate room a try and see what happens. Make sure Jet have lots of food available at all times.

KimKim

May 5, 2013
Parrots
CAG
I just re read your post, if you do not know how to hand feed, maybe try google and YouTube to help you, and other members here will help you also. I'm sure there are threads here on how to hand feed.

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
I would suggest in using spoon feeding as it is safer to do especially at this age since you had no prior experience in hand feeding Jet before. But before you start with hand feeding, please do try soaked pellets to start!

riaria

Nov 8, 2012
UK
Parrots
Luna - Meyer's Parrot
Pandora - African Grey
Io - Ducorps Cockatoo
Crop feeding is a horrible practice! (Assuming we're talking about the same thing here, inserting a tube into the crop and feeding them that way?) Like the others, I recommend spoon feeding - it's easier for you and more natural for the bird.

In my opinion, what we tend to call "weaning" is not actually weaning. Most breeders use the term to describe that the baby is eating on its own. But, that doesn't mean the baby is "weaned". It doesn't mean the baby is independent and would be able to cope on its own in nature. Like I said in another thread, many species of parrot spend a very long time with their babies, including feeding them, sometimes up to a year or more. It's not good for them to be fed for a few months and then abandoned to a new environment with no siblings or parents and expected to cope on their own. But this is a debated topic I'm sure, and there are probably people on here that disagree.

Anyhow, I don't understand why you don't just start spoon feeding him again now? It's not all that difficult (with such an old baby) or time consuming. He's obviously not happy, and you're saying that he may not be eating enough on his own - you need to do something. From what I've read, many species of cockatoo cry a lot as babies, for comfort as much as for food. I really believe he needs the feeling of comfort that warmish gooey food will give him. Soaked/mashed up gooey pellets are a good suggestion.

riaria

Nov 8, 2012
UK
Parrots
Luna - Meyer's Parrot
Pandora - African Grey
Io - Ducorps Cockatoo
Also, if he's crying because he needs comfort, the punishing him by taking him back to his cage won't work - it'll just make him more insecure. He's a baby, he needs love and attention. You wouldn't do that with a human baby, would you?

OP
J

Juliejet

Jan 25, 2014
Sydney AU
Parrots
Red tail Black Cockatoo
Thank you everyone I have tried soaking pellets I have tried everything different possible way and he does have a go at it before he went in to rehab the main thing he loved was potato Mas pumpkin rice for dinner he would still eat little bits of every thing I gave him during the day he loves sunflower seed nuts but the vet said not to give him this of cause the nuts are ok but only 6 a day ,before he went into rehab he liked egg meat oats in the morning so this morning when he woke up he was happy as and loving so I bought him him to his play stand with that food on it he had a little of the egg and then he started begging I haven't go to read the replies so I put his cage in the room and walked him to the room saying no crying and put him in I have set up a cam in there so I can see him and he is just sitting there quiet I feel bad for the little man.i have syringe feed before I didn't mean the tube down ,another thing the vet told me not to give him feed from my hand as that will encourage him to beg that's why he became like this I'm so confused I just want to love him and he be happy

Q so how much formula do I give I know about the temp and thickness I don't have the proper spoon as this stage can I us a normal spoon for now I will Utube to have a look I have formula here already

Again thank you all it helps me a lot

OP
J

Juliejet

Jan 25, 2014
Sydney AU
Parrots
Red tail Black Cockatoo
Oh so if I feed him via my hand is that ok cause if I pretend to eat it he will try it this is what I did before I will weight him around 3 that's what time I did it yesterday

OP
J

Juliejet

Jan 25, 2014
Sydney AU
Parrots
Red tail Black Cockatoo
Well that's it I'm going to feed him I guess u keep giving it till he is finished but how many times a day I'm guessing 2 I'm getting excited cause I think this is what he wants yea

thekarens

Sep 29, 2013
Good luck Julie! I know it can be trying, but it will be worth it when it's all said and done. Jet is a gorgeous too.

riaria

Nov 8, 2012
UK
Parrots
Luna - Meyer's Parrot
Pandora - African Grey
Io - Ducorps Cockatoo
I'm no expert, but everything (sensible) that I've read say that the whole idea of the parrot getting dependent on hand feelings and refusing to wean etc is a myth. I'm sure there are individuals where this may happen but that's the case with everything, there are always exceptions to the rule, but in general terms, I'd not worry :)

Again, I'm no expert and there are people on here that can advise better, but I'd say maybe three times per day to begin with? Just a guess. And then see if he seems to want more (or less). Maybe try to observe him so you can feed before he starts to really ask for it, so you can time it and feed him just before? Don't know if that's a good idea, but may be worth a try? That might get him off the whole begging thing? Eventually, he'll start to be less keen or even refuse some feedings, and you'll be able to reduce the amount. I'd expect him to want the evening feed for quite a while, though, and that would be the last one to stop with (I expect he'll be hungry in the mornings, and will probably enjoy eating on his own, but the evening feeds give comfort and will belt him relax and sleep, I believe).

I know, I've got a lot of opinions for a non expert, but it's stuff that I've thought about a lot and I've read a lot about. If it were up to me, everyone that buys a baby parrot should continue hand feeding them a while after bringing them home. :)

With our birds, I've used plastic or rubber baby spoons, and it's been working fine. They might bite through the spoons, but they're cheap to replace, and I like that they're not metal (no good reason, just feels better for me personally). I know some people use metal spoons where they've bent the sides, which in theory at least will mean less spill. But any spoon will do, as long as it's not too big (that'd spill quite a bit, I imagine).

riaria

Nov 8, 2012
UK
Parrots
Luna - Meyer's Parrot
Pandora - African Grey
Io - Ducorps Cockatoo
I can't see how feeding him directly from your hand or a spoon can hurt - you're the closest thing he's got to a parent right now (and he needs a parent for quite a while longer), and that's what they'd do. :)

OP
J

Juliejet

Jan 25, 2014
Sydney AU
Parrots
Red tail Black Cockatoo
Well that didn't go as planed he did eat about a half of a teaspoon with me encouraging him no gobbling like the potato mash lol I even put on my finger and he licked it off I just wanted to cry tried for about 15 mins , maybe he doesn't like the taste of it ,made it like in the video then thinned it out made no difference then no crying tho then I put on play stand with the cooked oats and put that on my finger and he ate that better lol he is playing now with 80% as much crying,the day food I give is snow peas,peas in pod ,chillies ,capsicum Brussels sprouts,sprouted seeds,frozen vegs (thawed out)with some beans mixed seeds no sunflower millet sticks and whatever I have on hand he has a little of all this stuff go at all ,I'm leaning towards it being a behaviour thing,I don't know

OP
J

Juliejet

Jan 25, 2014
Sydney AU
Parrots
Red tail Black Cockatoo
Riaria I know what you are saying I didn't want to do that ,it's a tricky thing cause when he is crying all the the time when he sees me and when I go and love him wouldn't he se this as oh she finely came to me even when we are playing he does it ,I just done know

OP
J

Juliejet

Jan 25, 2014
Sydney AU
Parrots
Red tail Black Cockatoo
Well a bit of progress this 1/2 hr lol put out the vegg and bean and sprout mix he loves the beans the navvy ones the best he was eating for 10 mins without a sound then he started and I went over and put some on my hand and he ate what he wanted then he went to the bowl and continued to eat again for a couple of mins but is now crying again some will say this isn't the best but I as I see it at least he is eating I between feeding when he cries I will put him in the room and keep bringing him in and out I will leave the door open he has plenty of things to play and occupy himself ,going to put the lead on him and take him outside for a while soon

Q should I just give in and feed him what he likes even if it's not the best for him of stick to what I'm doing

OP
J

Juliejet

Jan 25, 2014
Sydney AU
Parrots
Red tail Black Cockatoo
He has been grazing all day in and out of gage I soaked some pellets again he wouldn't eat them even of my finger so I put them in a shot glass which is thick and sat him on my lap and pretended to eat it myself and of cause he couldn't resist he had some and he ate about a half of a tea spoon did some playing on the floor it's hard when he cries all the time but he is getting there when the crying gets to much I put him in the room in cage just to have a break it doesn't bother him he put on 8 g that's better then loosing I guess it's going to take time I'm up for that

OP
J

Juliejet

Jan 25, 2014
Sydney AU
Parrots
Red tail Black Cockatoo
I'm so happy before he went to bed he had about 2 tbs of soaked pellets the last 3 hrs have been ok crying half the time even had a whole half hr of only about 6 cries while I was laying on the lounge he is such a good little boy he never plays up when it's bed time putting him in the room in his cage for time out (for both of us lol)is helping I think,I'm very hopeful as I go to bed tonight.I know I have been rambling all day but it helps me to get it out their.:):):blue:

OP
J

Juliejet

Jan 25, 2014
Sydney AU
Parrots
Red tail Black Cockatoo
I'm so happy before he went to bed he had about 2 tbs of soaked pellets the last 3 hrs have been ok crying half the time even had a whole half hr of only about 6 cries while I was laying on the lounge he is such a good little boy he never plays up when it's bed time putting him in the room in his cage for time out (for both of us lol)is helping I think,I'm very hopeful as I go to bed tonight.I know I have been rambling all day but it helps me to get it out their.:):):blue:
just testing what happens when u click on the quote

Most Reactions

Latest posts