So upset...

veimar

Feb 5, 2014
Chicago, IL
Parrots
gcc Parry; lovebird Coco; 3 budgies (Tesla, Franky and Cesar); cockatiel Murzik, red rump parakeet girl Onyx
Okay, I hoped with doing all my research and knowing what's going on I won't need to ask for help here, but I'm beyond upset now. If you read about birds being hormonal they fulfill ALL the points on that list! :(
I have two crazy hormonal birds at home right now - Coco, my lovebird, and Parry, my gcc. From a sweet 100% cage free baby Parry became a bloody monster during this month. :eek: He lost his cage free privileges because he was abusing all my other birds and fought with Coco all the time. :( He tries to bite me really hard, and after a couple of "ouches" I have to be very careful. Today when I let him out for about 10 min he managed to get into really bad fight with Coco and bite my little Tesla's foot through the cage bars really bad! :mad: I was there all the time, and just turned around to wipe the table! :( Parry also plucked the little budgies who adore him (I guess he was just trying to preen them), and a few days ago I discovered a little crack on the bottom of the beak on one of them! :11: So I had to separate the budgies from him as well.
Then they both with Coco are totally obsessed with the kitchen cabinets and fight over them when they happen be out of cage at the same time. Actually Parry doesn't care about them, and only wants to fight Coco. And on the top of that they scream, scream, scream... Especially if I let out one of them while other is still in cage... So anyway... I feel like I'm gonna have a nervous breakdown soon...
My question is - how long does this madness last in them? Is there anything I can do to improve their behavior (especially Parry) or maybe there is some remedy for it?
PS I cannot put them in different rooms because despite all these fights and tantrums they are very bonded and would go nuts when I try to separate them (their cages are next to each other, but out of reach).

Last edited:

Hawk

Banned
Banned
Dec 5, 2014
Media
Albums
Michigan, USA
Parrots
5 Parrots, 8 year old Blue-fronted Amazon, 2 1/2 yr. old African Grey, 2 3/4 year old Senegal. 5 month old ekkie, 5 month old Albino parakeet. Major Mitchell Cockatoo, passed away at age 68.
Okay, I hoped with doing all my research and knowing what's going on I won't need to ask for help here, but I'm beyond upset now. If you read about birds being hormonal they fulfill ALL the points on that list! :(
I have two crazy hormonal birds at home right now - Coco, my lovebird, and Parry, my gcc. From a sweet 100% cage free baby Parry became a bloody monster during this month. :eek: He lost his cage free privileges because he was abusing all my other birds and fought with Coco all the time. :( He tries to bite me really hard, and after a couple of "ouches" I have to be very careful. Today when I let him out for about 10 min he managed to get into really bad fight with Coco and bite my little Tesla's foot through the cage bars really bad! :mad: I was there all the time, and just turned around to wipe the table! :( Parry also plucked the little budgies who adore him (I guess he was just trying to preen them), and a few days ago I discovered a little crack on the bottom of the beak on one of them! :11: So I had to separate the budgies from him as well.
Then they both with Coco are totally obsessed with the kitchen cabinets and fight over them when they happen be out of cage at the same time. Actually Parry doesn't care about them, and only wants to fight Coco. And on the top of that they scream, scream, scream... Especially if I let out one of them while other is still in cage... So anyway... I feel like I'm gonna have a nervous breakdown soon...
My question is - how long does this madness last in them? Is there anything I can do to improve their behavior (especially Parry) or maybe there is some remedy for it?
PS I cannot put them in different rooms because despite all these fights and tantrums they are very bonded and would go nuts when I try to separate them (their cages are next to each other, but out of reach).

yep...welcome to the club....Mine has cage free privilege's as well, even at bed time, they sleep on their rope ring above cage...however lately ( past month), that routine had to change. Hormones and fighting as well.

It's that time of year...once passes, it's back to normal.

Most Reactions

Latest posts