Soaked pellets

Mdjandt

May 16, 2018
Hi all!

Iā€™m currently weaning my baby lovebird, Mango, and I want to try soaked pellets. My question is, since they take a bit to soften into mush, can I prepare ahead of time or what is the life of it soaked?

Thanks so much!:rainbow1:

OP
M

Mdjandt

May 16, 2018
Thank you! Only, how long can I keep it in the fridge until its ready to be eaten? I wouldnā€™t want to keep it out too long when feeding but it takes a bit for them to turn to mush so I wanted to make a batch that would last 2-3 days and store in the refrigerator.

EllenD

Aug 20, 2016
State College, PA
Parrots
Senegal Parrot named "Kane"; Yellow-Sided Green Cheek Conure named "Bowie"; Blue Quaker Parrot named "Lita Ford"; Cockatiel named "Duff"; 8 American/English Budgie Hybrids; Ringneck Dove named "Dylan"
Nooo! I would not feed your bird any pellets that have been soaked in juice that are older than at the very most 24 hours, even if they are in the fridge...Pellets soaked in fruit juice start growing bacteria and/or fungi as soon as they start soaking, and that's asking for a crop infection...I'd make them up brand new every new day, maybe in the morning and then use them-up by that same evening, or at the very longest by the very next morning, but that's it!

Carl_Power

Oct 3, 2017
England
Parrots
Quaker Parrot
Mine eats them soaked. I change them twice a day and over time i have learned how much he eats so i just give him the right amount as not to waste much. They go all hard and sticky after half a day start to go off after a day. I would just feed them fresh in small amounts. Dont refrigerate x

OP
M

Mdjandt

May 16, 2018
Okay! Iā€™ve been feeding him them within a day as I didnā€™t get an answer the last time I checked the thread. Iā€™m using the zumpreme pellets and theyā€™re quite hard unless they soak for awhile. Iā€™ve been heating it up and spoon feeding him so nothing has been sitting. He doesnā€™t eat seed on his own still. How do I transition into non soaked pellets and get him to eat some seeds?

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
Grind the pellets into a powder, then add liquid. Easier that way. Can add seed and make a thick paste to make little cakes or balls to feed to your birds.

Most Reactions

Latest posts