Some sad news about bobby

caliopi

Jan 30, 2010
Media
Melbourne, Australia
Parrots
Eclectus Parrot
King Parrot
Paul I understand your disappointment. When I first looked into getting a parrot I rushed into it without fully understanding the abbreviations sellers use and mistakenly bought a King Parrot that I thought was hand reared and going to be the companion bird I longed for. I was wrong. I bought a King Parrot that was an aviary bird. I realised my mistake within hours but the breeder who sold him to me had already returned home ( a four hour drive) so we put him in the aviary and loved him anyway.

There have been many times I have thought of giving him away. Not because I don't love him but because I feel so bad that he is in the aviary on his own. King Parrots should be sold in pairs and I have been trying for 2 years to buy either a female or a male to put in with him or to see if there is someone looking for a male only but there has been no one.

Don't get me wrong, I love Boo dearly and I make sure he has plenty of interaction with the wild Lorikeets and native birds by having a bird seed feeder for them around the aviary but it is not the same as having a mate but I would never just give him up. My mistake not his.

It took me a full year before I got Puffin as this time I did all the research I should have done before I got Boo. I also waited until my kids were all well into their teens before getting a parrot as I knew how much time they need. Another thing you need to be aware of with a baby parrot and a baby human is that until they can talk baby parrots scream, a lot! My neighbours daughter was terrified of Puffin because of his screeching and it took two years for her to come around.

Most Reactions

Latest posts