Specks on eyes

wiresoma

Jun 18, 2012
I just adopted a Lilac-crowned Amazonian named Keelo. She has these tiny white specks on her cornea which aggregate in areas. They don't seem to impair her vision but I'd like to know what the heck they are. All help appreciated. I've attached a photo to help.

The prior owners feed her sunflower seeds and whatever they were eating any given meal. I was told at a pet store that the pellets were a better way to go. Anyone help me out with this?

Attachments

• PICT1622.jpg
    PICT1622.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 2,169
Last edited:

dishgal1

May 1, 2012
Texas
Parrots
Forrest -Yellow sided Green Cheek Conure, Nacho- Sun Conure
Welcome to the forum. I would definitely go with some pellets, an all sunflower diet is definitely not good. I don't know much about amazons but there are people here who do. I'm sure you will get some good advice.

aliray

Jan 28, 2012
Rotonda West , Fla
Parrots
yellow sided green cheek conure,Chiquita Quaker parrot Sweetie Pie, African red bellied parrot Tiki, spanish timbrado canary Lucas
to me it looks like a cataract like people get. my guess would be to see a vet.I honestly don't know what if anything they do about it. Just my opinion . Alison and sweetie pie:D

wenz2712

Banned
Banned
Nov 16, 2011
Media
Welcome to the forum:)

She is beautiful.. I cant really see the specks in her eyes on the pic.

You will find she will improve alot by being given a healthy diet, ie.. Pellets, a small amount of seed with no Sunflowers, nutriberries, and plenty of Fruit and Veg :)

dishgal1

May 1, 2012
Texas
Parrots
Forrest -Yellow sided Green Cheek Conure, Nacho- Sun Conure
It does look like a cataract although cataracts in people usually show on the entire eye not just a partial spot.

greycloud

Mar 21, 2010
Baltimore, MD
Parrots
Sammy-Umbrella Too-rescued,
Dexter-CAG-rehomed handicapped,
Sterling-CAG-rehomed retired breeder.
Sunshine-12 yo CAG-adopted
Definitely looks like cataracts to me. I have seen them on several parrots. Sometimes they do surgery, sometimes not worth the risk. Improve her diet and give her lots of love. I do recommend an avian vet check though.

melissasparrots

Feb 15, 2012
Iowa
Parrots
Greater Sulfur Crest Ariel
Goffin's Cassie
Cosmo Hyacinth
Diva, Gremlin, Sprout, Ellie and Oscar Yellow Naped Amazons
Daffy, Mama and Papa Quakers
Linnie the lineolated
+5 parrotlets
I'd have her vetted for sure for the eye issue. I've never seen that myself. Pellets along with fresh or cooked veggies would make for a much better diet for this bird. I feed Zupreem Natural pellets myself since that is something all my birds will actually eat. They also get about 25-50% of their diet in fresh or cooked veggies, legumes and grains and some seed.

OP
W

wiresoma

Jun 18, 2012
Thanks for the expedient advice.
I looked at pix of bird cataracts on the internet and they appear like a round milky orb over the cornea. My bird has tiny points of whiteness that seem to be on the outer lense of the eyes. There seems to be a difference.

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
I'm not a vet. I'd say they're cataracts , pretty common in older zons. Surgery works but cost. I don't think the bird stresses as much as you do about it.Don't quote me on this but the last time i checked they said 1,500 $.I didn't notice what part of the world your in ,but there's better vets than others for this type of thing. I'd find a good AV and pay for an opinion, he'll go online with his buddies and give you an answer. If your in the south, you might want to check with schools like LSU or Auburn.

Most Reactions

Latest posts