Something crawled out of my pigeons feathers??

MilitaryBrat

Aug 21, 2011
Okay so I know some of you have been following my posts about the pigeon I found and I just sat him in his cage and this thing that was about the size of a fly crawled out of his feathers and then crawled back in. What is that???I haven't seen any bugs or anything n on him until that one and he doesn't seem to have any feathers missing.And whatever it is can it like get all in the house and get on my other birds and animals? I have that bird in a room by itself.

weco

Nov 24, 2010
USA
Parrots
Nanday, suns, parrotlet, Patagonian
You must live in Florida.....you guys have all kinds of critters down there.....is this what you saw?

It's just a pigeon fly using your pigeon has its home & dinner table...you can use Scalex Mite and Lice Spray to rid yourself & the bird of this parasite, just ruffle the feathers when you spray.....

You can do a second dosing in a week to 10 days if you don't think the first dose got rid of them.....also, you'll want to thoroughly clean & spray the cage (outdoors of course) for eggs & larvae.....

Last edited:
OP
M

MilitaryBrat

Aug 21, 2011
I think it was like that! Not positive cause it was so fast but I know it was the size of a fly.Thank you so much!i hate bugs so I really wanna get rid of it.I don't like touching him now lol

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
Yes, it's possible for the bug to get to your other birds... sounds like he needs to be treated for whatever it is that he has. (vet visit once again may be required, if you don't know what it is)

Glad to know the pigeon is still alive!

BillsBirds

Jan 9, 2012
Largo, Florida
Parrots
Timneh African Grey (Bailey), Lovebird (Elvis)
I cannot help you find that spray suggested by Weco. However, THIS is why we A) Quarantine ANY new birds to our flocks, and B) NEVER mix wild birds with our indoor flocks. Wild birds have all kinds of parasites, diseases, and bacteria that they've built up tolerances to because of living out in the wild and from their parents genetics and passed on immunities. Our exotics have none of these. When I did Wildlife Rehab, I'd take care of all my indoor critters, wash up thoroughly, then care for my outdoor critters, and wash up even more intensely. Each group had their own cages, bowls, perches, etc. and I never switched supplies for any reason.

OP
M

MilitaryBrat

Aug 21, 2011

Thanks! I actually found that on pet smart.com and I'm pulling into they're parking lot right now :)

And I am keeping it away from my other birds. I don't have it outside because its roasting out there right now and we have tons of cats near us but I have it in a cage in a seperate with with seperate bowls and everything.While I'm caring for this bird my husband is taking care of my other birds so I don't even hardly go into the room they're in. I don't normally care for wild birds lol just happened to see this one and it needed my help.

OP
M

MilitaryBrat

Aug 21, 2011
But I was wondering, if I decide to keep this bird(at the moment I'm just nursing it back to health) how long do I need to keep it away from my other birds before I put them in the same room?

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
But I was wondering, if I decide to keep this bird(at the moment I'm just nursing it back to health) how long do I need to keep it away from my other birds before I put them in the same room?

I personally would have him vetted before I'd even think about putting them in the same room together, just to be on the safe side. :)

OP
M

MilitaryBrat

Aug 21, 2011

I personally would have him vetted before I'd even think about putting them in the same room together, just to be on the safe side. :)

Okay thanks. I don't have the money at the moment to take him but I'll take him when I'm able too before I put him in the room.

OP
M

MilitaryBrat

Aug 21, 2011
Is there a good way to go about spraying the bird with this and not getting bit by the fly?I read that if it leaves the host it'll land on humans sometimes and bite them and the bites could be painful. Sorry for all the questions lol

crimson

Oct 8, 2012
Media
Ontario,Canada
Parrots
Senegal-Martini,1 pineapple conure~ Kahlua,1 GCC~ Flare, spl/b, 4 Lovebirds Halo,Tye-Die,Luna,Violet,8 Cockatiels,Num Num&Tundra,8-Ball&Angus,Magnet&Sunkist,Pearl, Blush, 1 gouldian finch, 7 canaries
It just so happens I've had mites up the ying yang over the years I've been breeding.
Until I purchased Ivermectin. no more mites.

I have A.I.L. which is Avian Insect Liquid, you can purchase that in the states as well, which I like treating all the cages with. remember to pull ALL toys, perches, seed dishes, towels, everything out of that cage. clean everything, and spray it all, don't miss anything.
even the hinges on the cage door, under the cage as well.

I use ivermectin on the bird, I use one drop under the armpit of the wing, per 50g of weight. so for example if the bird weighs 100g use two drops, etc... then treat 10 days later.
remember to spray about 3 days later again doing the exact same thing...remove everything and replace with new items....your bird will love you for it!!

both products have never failed me and I have over 35 birds.

good luck, he's one lucky bird to have such an attentive owner :)

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Is there a good way to go about spraying the bird with this and not getting bit by the fly?I read that if it leaves the host it'll land on humans sometimes and bite them and the bites could be painful. Sorry for all the questions lol

That one I can't help you with other than having a fly swatter nearby. :54:

OP
M

MilitaryBrat

Aug 21, 2011

That one I can't help you with other than having a fly swatter nearby. :54:

Yes I had that near by! lol I sprayed him a few times trying to get the fly out and it never came so my husband suggested sitting him in water and drowning the fly(which the bird needed a little bath anyways) so I tried that and maybe its dead somewhere on him now....hopefully.But after he dries then I'll spray him and the cage down good with the spray. I had no idea though that pigeons float?! Lol I sat him in the water and he was just floating around lol Me and my husband got a kick outta that.

Does anyone have any name ideas? I guess he needs a name now but I a warning, I am very picky on what I name my animals :p It has to be perfect.

OP
M

MilitaryBrat

Aug 21, 2011
The pigeon died sometime in the night :( It seemed fine when I last checked last night but I guess there was more wrong than I thought.

MissTaz

May 11, 2013
Utah
Parrots
Rory ~ A male turquoise green cheek conure ~ Hatched 02-12-2013
sad I'm sorry for your loss

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
Sorry the pigeon didn't make it! He probably did have some serious health problems! And I loved his markings so much!

crimson

Oct 8, 2012
Media
Ontario,Canada
Parrots
Senegal-Martini,1 pineapple conure~ Kahlua,1 GCC~ Flare, spl/b, 4 Lovebirds Halo,Tye-Die,Luna,Violet,8 Cockatiels,Num Num&Tundra,8-Ball&Angus,Magnet&Sunkist,Pearl, Blush, 1 gouldian finch, 7 canaries
I'm so sorry to hear such sad news :(

I'm sure he was comfortable in his last moments, he has you to thank for that.

Most Reactions

Latest posts