Sometimes not even a cage is safe....Rest In Peace Halloween.

Colorguarder08

Banned
Banned
Mar 8, 2010
Washington State
Parrots
Riley-white faced grey cockatiel (hatch date 6-28-2014) RIP Halloween-pied cockatiel
Halloween did NOT deserve the death she had today neither does any other bird for that matter. I woke up this morning checked on and fed Halloween then went to work like I always do. I came home and saw her food dish on her cage floor which immediantley alerted me something was up. I found my poor bird in the upper left hand corner of her cage BOTH wings stuck in the cage bars and hanging up side down. I immediately called her vet to let them know I would be bringing her in I grabbed a towel and let her rest on the towel she bit it hard she has never even bitten me that hard her feet couldn't reach the perch I realized immediantly I would not be able to get her wings uncaught so closed her cage and put her and the cage in my car she lifted her head as I talked to her and I raced to the vet I could see part of her wing was torn almost compleatly off my poor baby. but I knew when I got there 30minutes later (with speeding and running lights) that she was gone. The vet looked at her and took her to a room without me and confirmed my Halloween had died. He removed her from the cage, laid her body wrapped in a towel and box and put her back in the cage and told me that we will never know how my poor baby got in that mess. I asked him if one of the cats could have done it (was doubtful because the only place there was blood was on the perch she couldnt reach and all her feathers for the most part were still in tact and in good condition) he said he couldn't answer because in the 20 years of being an avain spe******t he had NEVER seen a bird end up like that. I am soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo sorry Halloween you did NOT deserve to die like that.:(:(:(:(:(

OP
Colorguarder08

Colorguarder08

Banned
Banned
Mar 8, 2010
Washington State
Parrots
Riley-white faced grey cockatiel (hatch date 6-28-2014) RIP Halloween-pied cockatiel
Thank you people around here do not understand and keep telling me "just get another one" I can't just get another one. Halloween was ment to be my bird she stole my heart the moment I saw her. I had to have her. I just wish I would have been able to save her

JensFlock

Jul 31, 2011
South Carolina
Parrots
Eclectus,
Blue Crowned Conure,
Quaker,
Lineolated Parakeet,
Diamond Dove,
Star Finch,
Spice Finch
I am so sorry for your loss. We would NEVER say "just go get another bird". We understand, they are our babies.
Big ((HUGS)) to you.

OP
Colorguarder08

Colorguarder08

Banned
Banned
Mar 8, 2010
Washington State
Parrots
thank you. Before her I had not planned on getting a bird for a few years. But I saw this little gorgouse pied cockatiel and was in love had them hold it for me for an hour and went back and bought it. I feel terrible about her death how many hours did she suffer while I was at work? What happened for her to end up like that? Had I been home would she still be here? these are all questions that I will never have an answer to.

Rio Mom

Apr 7, 2011
Pennsylvania
Parrots
River - Green Cheek
Conure/
Pepper - Congo African Grey/

Rest in Peace Rio
I am so very very sorry for your loss.

andrea.faerie

May 16, 2011
North Carolina
Parrots
My lovely little Black Cap Conure, Lucy (in the sky with diamonds) <3
I'm so sorry! :'( Halloween will always be with you though! and waiting for you too! Our animals have a sense of dedication and love that we as humans cannot possibly fully perceive <3 <3 <3 many hugs and love to you!

Remy

Jul 13, 2011
California
Parrots
Darcy (Golden-Collared Macaw), Puck (Caique - RIP)
I'm so sorry for your loss. It doesn't sound like there was anything you could have done.

mele

Jul 26, 2011
California
Parrots
Lotty- Umbrella Cockatoo,
Scarlet- Scarlet Macaw,
Paco- Lilac Amazon, Josh-blue front amazon
Your post brought me to tears :(
Im truly sorry for you loss

Rest in peace Halloween
You are in my thoughts

birdybabies

Aug 4, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
Parrots
Billy & Finley (Budgies)
Malakai (Blue Quaker)
Murphy (Green Quaker)
Rhyly (Cockatiel)
Oakley (IRN)
Disco (Lovebird)
I am soooo sorry for you and Halloween. This story makes me feel so sad, as I too, have a tiel and I know i shouldnt say this, but she is probably my fave. The love and personality in these tiny little birds is amazing. Please dont blame yourself. An accident is just that, an accident. You do know that Halloween waited for you to come home to say goodbye, cos you were loved by Halloween just as much as you loved her. RIP Halloween.

OP
Colorguarder08

Colorguarder08

Banned
Banned
Mar 8, 2010
Washington State
Parrots
I couldnt sleep last night I could not get the images of her like that out of my head. I think what hurts the most was knowing she had to suffer for so long and nobody else did anything and she was a quiet bird normally. If she was freaking out it was for a reason and I know she had to be freaking out. We never even got to bond the way I would have liked for us to.

derekandb

Aug 24, 2011
I feel for you so much! I'm so sorry such a terrible accident happened. But I am glad that she held on to say goodbye to you. Don't ever feel bad for grieving however you need to, I wish everyone here could give you a great big hug! :(

Spiritbird

Banned
Banned
Aug 20, 2009
Media
OMG how devastating this is. I would be destroyed and I am sure you are too. I am so so sorry and I know we all feel your pain.

Nakiska

May 30, 2011
Washington
Parrots
4 Cockatiels 2 males Chicken Little & Charlie, 2 Females Chiquita and Sweet pea. Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure -Franklin and our now tame, rescued feral Pigeon - Belle.
Oh my goodness how devastating!...tears are streaming down my face as I type this. Your description of what happened...so vivid. :( My heart goes out to you and I COMPLETELY understand your sorrow.

Time will heal you and some of us need...years even...before considering replacing a beloved pet of any type.

So sorry this tragic accident happened, my prayers are with you.

Toni

critterman

Jan 1, 2011
Maryland
Parrots
Crimson bellied conure.
Colorguarder08 I am so sorry for your loss. I can only imagine how you must feel. I am a animal lover also and have 4 dogs and 2 African Grey parrots, my animals are my life. I have no children so they are my children and I worry about them just as if they really were. I live to be with them daily and spent much time with them all. Over the years I have had to take sick or old animals (dogs & cats) to the vet only to have to put them down. It is heart breaking and at 60 years old I cry like a baby and am not ashamed of it. I miss them all but I believe in Rainbow Bridge and know what when my time comes to cross it they will all come to meet me and then we will never be separated again. This is my only comfort! Again my deepest sympathy and just remember that Halloween loved you and knew you were trying your best to save her and at least you were there for her as she took her last breath. I am sure she was looking at you with love as she went to her new home where she will is happy and healthy and she is waiting for you to be with her again someday. Peace! Critterman

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts