Sonny is not happy!

charlie006

Jun 17, 2012
Southampton, England
Parrots
Yellow Sided Conure (Sonny)
Well after saying a couple of days ago that my Yellow Sided Sonny will eat anything and that i thought he would be fine changing from an all seed diet (he's 9 weeks and the aviary only fed him seeds) it turns out i was wrong! He's been stropping (rather vocally!) all morning over his bowl of Pellets (Harrisons) rather than his usual fruit and veggies. Ive offered them whole and also crushed them up. Might try adding a bit of water to them. Failing that i think ill mix it with some of his seeds.

Think im in for the long haul with this transition, will soon find out who is more stubborn, me or Sonny! lol

He is currently sulking in the hood of my Jumper and refusing to come out!

Charlie (and a grumpy Sonny)

OP
charlie006

charlie006

Jun 17, 2012
Southampton, England
Parrots
Also i should add that he will still be having his daily fruit and veggies, just figured i'd try him with the Pellets in the morrning as that is when he is most hungry. Will give him fruit and veg this afternoon.

solobaby

Jul 14, 2011
Parrots
Solo(indian ringneck)-Marley(green cheek conure)- Dobby (cockatiel)
still feed him fruit and veg

MacawGuy

Jun 12, 2012
Indiana
Parrots
B&G Macaw
If your changing him food mix it first. 1/4 of new food 3/4 old food. Second day half and half. Third 3/4 new and 1/4 of old food. Then the fourth day all new food. See how that works.

wenz2712

Banned
Banned
Nov 16, 2011
Media
He is still very young at 9 Weeks and probably needs his food softened by soaking for a while! They are not usually weaned until at least 12 Weeks. Have you tried giving him formula as well? He probably still needs this as well.

dishgal1

May 1, 2012
Texas
Parrots
Forrest -Yellow sided Green Cheek Conure, Nacho- Sun Conure
It took many months for me to get mine to eat pellets. He got very thin and I was very worried about him. The only one he will eat at all even now is Totally Organics (TOPS) I had to give his seeds back. Try giving him pellets first thing in the morning. Then fruits and veggies, then afternoon give seeds back. I know from experience they will starve if they are that stubborn. Mine became very weak and listless and all he would do was snuggle behind my neck. He now eats about 25% pellets, 50 % fresh and 25% seeds. But took months to get there. He would have died if I had continued with straight pellets I have no doubt. Some are just more stubborn, that is why I have to provide so many different fresh foods.

OP
charlie006

charlie006

Jun 17, 2012
Southampton, England
Parrots
Thanks for your replies. It's going to be a long progress but hopefully i will be able to get Sonny on a Pellet/fresh fruit and veg/seed diet before long. This morning i ground up his pellets and mixed with some mashed up banana, he's happily tucking in which is good.
I will keep a close eye on what he's eating during the process to make sure he isn't dropping weight.

Charlie (and a banana covered Sonny!)

OP
charlie006

charlie006

Jun 17, 2012
Southampton, England
Parrots
It took many months for me to get mine to eat pellets. He got very thin and I was very worried about him. The only one he will eat at all even now is Totally Organics (TOPS) I had to give his seeds back. Try giving him pellets first thing in the morning. Then fruits and veggies, then afternoon give seeds back. I know from experience they will starve if they are that stubborn. Mine became very weak and listless and all he would do was snuggle behind my neck. He now eats about 25% pellets, 50 % fresh and 25% seeds. But took months to get there. He would have died if I had continued with straight pellets I have no doubt. Some are just more stubborn, that is why I have to provide so many different fresh foods.

Thanks, i do give the Pellets in the morning as he's at his most hungry then so more likely to give them a go. So far grinding them up seems to be preferable to him.

:)

Most Reactions