Sounds Budgies/Parakeets make????

Chelle

Aug 5, 2013
Parrots
CHEESECAKE (Pineapple~GCC) 2/4/14
Ok... I am fairly new to budgies/Parakeets. I love the way they sing! But they also make this other noise that I am not quite certain what it means. Here goes me trying to describe the sound....lol. It sounds like a cricket but much louder and fast. any ideas what this noise is called and does it mean they are upset for some reason?

Sterling1113

Feb 15, 2014
Dallas area, Texas
If it's the same sound I'm thinking of, it's just the usual sound for budgies/parakeets. :)
I've had budgies before and they have a sort of distinct sound they make, sort of like a high-pitched rumbling or something. Just generic, unidentifiable chattering heh.

Kalidasa

May 8, 2013
Media
Michigan
Parrots
1 green cheek conure (Kumar)
2 male budgies (Charlie and Diego)
I love their voices also. When they're mad they make a game-show buzzer sound. One of my budgies can perfectly mimic a sparrow, and my other one makes a soft cooing sound like a dove when he gets excited about something. The cricketey sound is their normal chirp. The game-show buzzer sound means someone's mad or jealous :) after my budgies eat in the morning and make their usual rounds around the house, they separate and go to different rooms and sing loudly to each other for almost an hour. One in particular has a very beautiful voice, with lots of warbles and trills. He grew up around lots of canaries and lived there for a few years before I got him. He also is the one who mimics sparrows, so there's a wide variety of budgie chatter and song in my house all day every day :) I love every second of it.

Last edited:

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
Sounds like you are describing the angry budgie sound..... the noise they make when they are pissed or want you to go away. If they are frequently making that noise then you should consider changing the way you are interacting with them, perhaps? If they are making the noise towards themselves however, well, make sure they don't tear each other apart! Otherwise, you can leave them be.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wav5CJ-T7s"]My angry budgie - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLQrZcRMMDw"]Diego the ANGRY BUDGIE: "Get me out of this trash can!!!" - YouTube[/ame]

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
As much as I love my two, man they are NOISY!! Surprisingly loud too considering their size. I have two males, and they are almost constantly making sounds. They chirp, twitter, trill, make like Chris said the game show buzzer, etc. My favorite sound is what I call the 'squeaky wheel'. It's a soft little brief squeak. Anyone else know what I mean? It's so adorable, it makes me smile every time. :)

Last edited:
OP
C

Chelle

Aug 5, 2013
Parrots
Sounds like you are describing the angry budgie sound..... the noise they make when they are pissed or want you to go away. If they are frequently making that noise then you should consider changing the way you are interacting with them, perhaps? If they are making the noise towards themselves however, well, make sure they don't tear each other apart! Otherwise, you can leave them be.

I thought it was a mad sound as well. They don't make it often and it doesn't last more than a few seconds. It isn't when I am interacting with them they do it amongst themselves. They all chime in for a couple seconds then they are back to their singing noises. I have never seen them doing it and getting violent just sounds like one calls out a warning then they all respond and then go about their business. It sounds just like the second video you posted!

Last edited:

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
That's one of the great things about birds! If they get along, fights are usually short lived and don't cause a lot of pain or drama! At least, in the little birds like budgies!

They don't really want to hurt each other, just bicker amongts themselves and get things sorted!

It's worse watching larger species fight, because they can really go at it! (so can budgies, but that's more during breeding season when hens can get troublesome!)

OP
C

Chelle

Aug 5, 2013
Parrots
Smokey (Fiery Shoulder Conure) is still being a Butt!!! I separated them and Prissy (YSGCC)is as happy as can be in her own cage ;)

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
My budgies all bicker like this as well, and then are fine with each other again. It is so funny to watch them make up after, rubbing their faces together:)

Most Reactions

Latest posts