Crazy people on craigslist

veimar

Feb 5, 2014
Chicago, IL
Parrots
gcc Parry; lovebird Coco; 3 budgies (Tesla, Franky and Cesar); cockatiel Murzik, red rump parakeet girl Onyx
I just saw an add on craigslist where a guy was giving his parakeet away for FREE! :11: :eek: I'm so horrified that a poor bird could end up as a feeder or someone's kids toy. I'm not sure if he still has him (the add was posted today in the morning), but I emailed him that I would love to take the bird (I have a greek cheek conure and have enough room and time for another little sweety) and warned him about being very cautious giving a bird away for free. I'm just so mad - how can someone be so irresponsible! :mad: I know that keets are cheap birds, but they still are living creatures and so lovely personalities!
Just wanted to share this… :(

jenphilly

Oct 15, 2013
Lehigh Valley, PA
Parrots
BE2 (Ivory), B&G Macaw (Max), Budgie Group,
Granbirds- tiels; GCC (Monkey & Monster); Sun Conure (Loki); Bare Eyed Too (Folger); Evil Green Monster YNA (Kelly); B&G (Titan)
Just remember to keep the parakeet quarantined from your GCC.

And if you've never had a parakeet, they are noisey little buggers... I have a tiny little budgie, swear he makes more noise then the two cockatoos combined!! And its almost nonstop...

I hope you are able to give the little guy a great home!

OP
veimar

veimar

Feb 5, 2014
Chicago, IL
Parrots
gcc Parry; lovebird Coco; 3 budgies (Tesla, Franky and Cesar); cockatiel Murzik, red rump parakeet girl Onyx
I'd rather not take him, but I just want to make sure he is safe. I can definitely give him a loving home, but I just didn't have a parakeet on my list. How long should I quarantine him (just in case)? I have a few friends who have keets and they chirp non-stop, but it's rather a very pleasant soft sound. :) Can they be really loud? :)

MangieSun

Jan 22, 2014
California
Parrots
Mangie- Sun Conure
Pixel- cockatiel
Jasper- bare eyed cockatoo
My daughters cockatiel has a budgie cage mate. He loves to talk all day long. I wouldn't say loud though, just some days it seems constant. I have a sun, crimson bellied and a Cockatoo though so my Sun will forever be my loud mouth. I'd say the budgie is quiet but consistent vocally. :)

OP
veimar

veimar

Feb 5, 2014
Chicago, IL
Parrots
That what I thought too. I live in my own house so we both with my husband would love some chirping all day long. :) My husband started loving the birds too - it was his idea to get Parry, but he didn't really know how to handle him, so I did all the taming work. You have so many different birds - is it very difficult to handle them? :)

MangieSun

Jan 22, 2014
California
Parrots
Mangie- Sun Conure
Pixel- cockatiel
Jasper- bare eyed cockatoo
I'm fairly new with all my birds and everyone is under a year old, but so far it's been easy for me. I'm a stay at home mom to four during the week and have a small photography studio and weekend only shoots so I am able to be home a lot. My daughter is in charge of her budgie and cockatiel so I don't need to assume much of their responsibility. My cockatoo and Sun are out on their playstands (my crimson bellied is still in quarantine because she is out newest baby) all day and return to their cages at 8:30 for bedtime. For the most part it's been easy and fun adding them into my routine. They are time consuming and I'm sure all heck will break loose when the hormones kick in but so far I'm blessed with a bunch of wonderful and happy feathered babies:)

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
Yes Budgies can be surprisingly LOUD in volume for their size. Not only near constant noise, but if you have a male(s) like we do, let's just say we had to move them out of the same room as a tv! They literally cover up the tv sound! Our budgies can be real screamers.:11:

MomtoPercy

Nov 15, 2013
Media
South Africa
Parrots
Percy, a 5yo BFA & Jack, a 8yo Budgie
My budgie, little Jack, is not a constant noisemaker but he does feel compelled to be heard -

1. When any wild bird chirps outside - he has to say HI and compete wth their bird song
2. When there's any sound in the house he's not heard before - skreech!! Danger! Danger!
3. At midnight when he does his operatic solo's - in the dark, under his cage cover, for at least 10 minutes. Yup, every night! Singing away at the top of his little voice.

OP
veimar

veimar

Feb 5, 2014
Chicago, IL
Parrots
Are the parakeets kinda out of cage birds?
My green cheek conure is mostly out of cage whole day if we are home, and he flies to his cage whenever he wants to eat or just chill. But he is mostly on my shoulder, and I like that. :)

nouzn

Mar 1, 2014
I understand that this is a polarized issue. But from someone who is looking for a home for our Ekkie and not asking for money, I figure that since I am going to check out perspective homes anyway, I would hate to see someone who really wants him and can provide a good home for him to be disqualified because they can't write a significant check. Just a thought.

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
My budgie, little Jack, is not a constant noisemaker but he does feel compelled to be heard -

1. When any wild bird chirps outside - he has to say HI and compete wth their bird song
2. When there's any sound in the house he's not heard before - skreech!! Danger! Danger!
3. At midnight when he does his operatic solo's - in the dark, under his cage cover, for at least 10 minutes. Yup, every night! Singing away at the top of his little voice.

#3 ??? :confused: ROTFL! :D

OP
veimar

veimar

Feb 5, 2014
Chicago, IL
Parrots
Nouzn, I didn't mean a significant check, no way! :) That's exactly my situation - I would love to take another bird or two, and I have all conditions for that - I can afford to buy food and to take her to a vet occasionally, but I cannot throw out $500 cash! I thought about like $10 or less, just to make sure someone is going to commit. Although I completely believe that there are tons of people who will commit for a free one too (like me). I just think that the craigslist is not a safe and honest place for a pet trade. I usually see the opposite there - people are trying to SELL their pets (especially parrots) for ridiculous prices. And I see them posting over and over again because there are not too many fools around. :)

nouzn

Mar 1, 2014
I agree that Craigslist has become so popular so quickly that those who post (and also those who respond to ads) really have to be cautious. That is one reason that our Ekkie isn't listed there... I am sure there are good people who browse Craigslist but rather than have to screen the multiple responses, I would rather take my time and utilize bird specific forums and groups, such as this one.

OP
veimar

veimar

Feb 5, 2014
Chicago, IL
Parrots
The guy didn't email back to me, so I assume he gave it away already. I HOPE so much the bird is in good hands.

crimson

Oct 8, 2012
Media
Ontario,Canada
Parrots
Senegal-Martini,1 pineapple conure~ Kahlua,1 GCC~ Flare, spl/b, 4 Lovebirds Halo,Tye-Die,Luna,Violet,8 Cockatiels,Num Num&Tundra,8-Ball&Angus,Magnet&Sunkist,Pearl, Blush, 1 gouldian finch, 7 canaries
On most days, a budgie goes up for free on Kijiji.
People will drive an hour to get a free bird, but won't pay $10....don't get me started.
Same goes for finches, it's quite sad really.

Just the other night I saw an ad that made my jaw drop.

it went something like this--"retarted nephew for free".....(you could tell he was special needs by the photo) then it read-"come and get him, he's driving me nuts"

now I don't know if this was suppose to be a joke, but I didn't take it as one, I reported the ad, and it was removed....that made my blood boil.

Most Reactions