Space Heater

dklemenz

Feb 19, 2018
I bought an infrared fireplace for my Eclectus' room (he has his own 12x12 bedroom). It looks similar to this. https://www.amazon.com/Lifesmart-Infrared-Quartz-Fireplace-Burnished/dp/B0098FTCFW

I ran the fireplace in my garage for 2 days to burn off any possible gases/fumes. I called the company prior to buying the fireplace to confirm the fireplace heater had no PTFE or Teflon (they confirmed with the engineers that it did not and would be "parrot safe").

But I'm still terrified to run the heater for him. Is there a "detector", I can purchase to detect the presence of any chemicals in the air? I'm beyond terrified to run this heater and make my Eclectus sick. But I also feel like I've done everything by the book to make sure this is safe for him.

Any ideas or help?

ParrotGenie

Jan 10, 2019
Indiana
Parrots
2 umbrella Cockatoos One male named Cooper and female named Baby 1 Little Corella male named Frankie and have 5 Cockatiels three named Male named Pepper, Fiesco for the female and female named Wylie.
Yes most infrared fireplace are safe as they don't have any PTFE or Teflon and element in a glass quartz tube. The 6 element ones are the best I use them all the time, or get a oil radiator type electric heater.. Just stay away from anything that has PTFE or Teflon coating on element, as most open coil element design as they use that to keep dust from sticking on elements and if coil element goes and get hot spot can release a poisonous gas that can kill a bird in seconds.

The Life smart brands of infrared quartz heaters are safe, they are pretty well built metal frame and housing inside wood cabinet and metal fan blower, as had one for 2 years and zero issues with it and used it non stop last winter and very quiet. One of the best heaters I used and tried over a dozen different ones.

Last edited:

bill_e

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Dec 24, 2015
New Hampshire
Parrots
Nike a Hawk Head Parrot (Deroptyus accipitrinus)
To be honest, whether safe or not I wouldn't think that a radiant heater would be the best option for a parrot room. If I had to put supplemental heat into a parrot room my number one choice would be a oil filled radiator like this.
https://www.amazon.com/DeLonghi-EW7707CM-ComforTemp-Portable-Oil-Filled/dp/B000TGDGLU/ref=sr_1_4?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1547396826&sr=1-4&keywords=oil+filled+radiator+heater

It will provide a more even heat and heat the room, which I think is what you'd want, instead of the occupant sitting in front of the radiant heater

ParrotGenie

Jan 10, 2019
Indiana
Parrots
2 umbrella Cockatoos One male named Cooper and female named Baby 1 Little Corella male named Frankie and have 5 Cockatiels three named Male named Pepper, Fiesco for the female and female named Wylie.
To be honest, whether safe or not I wouldn't think that a radiant heater would be the best option for a parrot room. If I had to put supplemental heat into a parrot room my number one choice would be a oil filled radiator like this.
https://www.amazon.com/DeLonghi-EW7707CM-ComforTemp-Portable-Oil-Filled/dp/B000TGDGLU/ref=sr_1_4?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1547396826&sr=1-4&keywords=oil+filled+radiator+heater

It will provide a more even heat and heat the room, which I think is what you'd want, instead of the occupant sitting in front of the radiant heater
Technically not a radiant open based heater and uses a blower the heat assemble is towards the top vent, is a combination which make it heat way more evenly, it surprisingly heats the whole room well and evenly bottom to top and back of room. It was one of the best heaters I tried and bought the room up to temp in a few minutes from cold while maintaining 72 F thought out evenly the space without being barely on while being 29 degrees F outside. Oil filled heater are good as well, but take longer to heat room as has to spread out.

Avoid ceramic based heaters as those are the ones that only heats the direction they are pointed at and was on constantly and couldn't maintain temperature even when both are the same wattage. So not true 1500w is 1500 watts of heat output. The quartz based heater are by far the best.

Last edited:

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
You are smart to run it elsewhere/outside of the house first (as there is often a manufacturer's coating on any appliances which off-gasses when first used--this includes TVs etc)

Where do the fumes from the fire go? I mean, obviously there must be a gas supply or something that keeps it lit up (that is my concern)---granted, most would burn off, I wouldn't be overly confident---I have a gas stove (which I use) but I don't keep it on for more than 1 hour at a time.

When you called, did you tell them the full names as well as the abbreviations? I always say, PTFE as well as the full name, polytetrafluoroethyline etc etc? In the future, check for PFCs (poly fluorinated compounds), including PFOA (polyfluoro...blah blah), PTFE (polytetrafluoroethyline) and Teflon and explain your reasoning (internal and external components all can cause issues).

In terms of radiant heat, my parents home still runs on hundred-year-old radiators and I have never had an issue...That having been said, always call etc.

Last edited:

ParrotGenie

Jan 10, 2019
Indiana
Parrots
You are smart to run it elsewhere/outside of the house first (as there is often a manufacturer's coating on any appliances which off-gasses when first used--this includes TVs etc)

Where do the fumes from the fire go? I mean, obviously there must be a gas supply or something that keeps it lit up (that is my concern)---granted, most would burn off, I wouldn't be overly confident---I have a gas stove (which I use) but I don't keep it on for more than 1 hour at a time.

When you called, did you tell them the full names as well as the abbreviations? I always say, PTFE as well as the full name, polytetrafluoroethyline etc etc? In the future, check for PFCs (poly fluorinated compounds), including PFOA (polyfluoro...blah blah), PTFE (polytetrafluoroethyline) and Teflon and explain your reasoning (internal and external components all can cause issues).

In terms of radiant heat, my parents home still runs on hundred-year-old radiators and I have never had an issue...That having been said, always call etc.

It a electric based heater, not gas, its a fake fireplace. It is a quartz based heater. They are 100% safe. I took one apart so know no polytetrafluoroethyline etc.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
I can understand a 'space heater' as a useful tool for someone renting. But if it is being used in one's home, it is a very expensive form of heat. The combination of cost to purchase and operate exceed basic steps of first using one's heating system correctly and then adding sealing products to doors and windows openings. Since near all North America Utility companies will come into one's home and provide a detailed test of the homes heat loss and provide some products and/or suggestions to reduce energy usage at no cost.

- Most cooler rooms are either an issue of the room being over a garage or open porch. Properly sealing the floor will make a huge difference.
- Adjusting each room's heating vents can reduce over heating of some areas and increasing heat in others.
- The cost to purchase the unit and then to operate the space heater commonly is as large if not more expensive that the cost to purchase it. That total cost can off-set the cost of raising the homes temperature by two to three degrees.
- And let us not forget the want to prior to the start of the heating season having the heating unit inspected and properly adjusted.

Last edited:

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
My parents have one like this puts out lots of heat, cheap to run. But have no idea of safety.

ParrotGenie

Jan 10, 2019
Indiana
Parrots
I can understand a 'space heater' as a useful tool for someone renting. But if it is being used in one's home, it is a very expensive form of heat. The combination of cost to purchase and operate exceed basic steps of first using one's heating system correctly and then adding sealing products to doors and windows openings. Since near all North America Utility companies will come into one's home and provide a detailed test of the homes heat loss and provide some products and/or suggestions to reduce energy usage at no cost.

- Most cooler rooms are either an issue of the room being over a garage or open porch. Properly sealing the floor will make a huge difference.
- Adjusting each room's heating vents can reduce over heating of some areas and increasing heat in others.
- The cost to purchase the unit and then to operate the space heater commonly is as larger if not more expensive that the cost to purchase it. That total cost can off-set the cost of raising the homes temperature by two to three degrees.
- And let us not forget the want to prior to the start of the heating season having the heating unit inspected and properly adjusted.
Having your heating furnace serviced and cleaned every year is critical. How many units I serviced over the years and was a complete mess. Just serviced a rooftop commercial unit the other day that the four filters never changed, as they didn't even realize they needed to be changed regular, nor did the mall owner, or property managers and whole motor blower assemble needed to be replaced due to seized up, was due to water found it way inside. But was a complete mess inside. Found so much carbon built up in burners as well. Poor workers freezing pretty much, for who knows how many hours, as was 20 degrees F outside and humidity was in single digits on my air quality counter meter indoors? They were trying to use electric heater and was way to large of a space.

Last edited:

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
Another thing to consider is why you want the heater. Sounds like an obvious - and borderline stupid - question, I know. But bear with me a moment.

I'd found a wonderful, bird safe, omni-directional heater with a thermostat that I used for years in the bird room every winter, first for my cockatiel Suzie, and then for Bixby (this was before Maya and Jolly's time). Why? Because at night the temperature in that room would go down to around 71 or 72 degrees Fahrenheit, and I thought that a little on the chilly side. So the heater would keep the temp closer to a more "balmy" 75 or 76. Makes sense, right?

Well, yeah... until I took the time to consider how a bird's feathering works as a heat retention system. Basically, they form pockets of heat between the layers of their feathers specific to the the temperature around them. As the temperature warms or cools, they make adjustments accordingly. Given that the changes are gradual enough, they handle this pretty much seamlessly.

This is why, btw, drafts are so dangerous to birds. That constant shifting of temperature throws their ability to adequately compensate for the cold around them completely out of whack. And it's that lack of a consistent temperature and their body's struggle to keep up with that chaos that weakens them and makes them vulnerable to sickness. But I digress...

My point is, if the temperature in your home is pretty much consistent, and is somewhere around say 63F or higher, you don't really need a heater in their room. You'd only need a heater if there tends to be abrupt drops of temperature of around 10 degrees or so (And not by drafts. A heater won't really help with a draft hitting the bird, as it will still be a stress-inducing fluctuation), or if the temperature will be dropping below the bird's normal comfort threshold for some reason (like your home's heat going offline for whatever reason).

Oh, a big exception to what I've said here is if your bird is a plucker. Bare patches in the plumage would obviously compromise their ability to compensate for the cold.

Most Reactions

Latest posts