Sparse leg feathers

Mulligan

Feb 5, 2023
Media
Parrots
One female Congo African Grey
Jingles is now age 26 and has laid up to 15 eggs. Recently, I noticed her legs look bare of feathers. They are hot to the touch. She eats, whistles and requires lots of attention that I can't constantly give. She has never been happy with our Great Pyrenees dogs. The very first dog came in 2008 and she went lame. AvianVet couldn't determine reason after several tests. I took her home and worked constantly with her and she returned to normal health. A few years ago she lost a lot of weight. Local AvianVet took tests couldn't find any reason. Since, she has gained and lost weight but always eats and sings. Her diet consists of multi-seed with fruit and veges. RoudyBush pellets and most recently I added cooked rice and vege mixture ordered through Chewy.com. Periodically, she enjoys plain spaghetti noodle or pieces of clean cooked steak (no salt or oil on it). Any suggestions?

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Not a fan of rice cooked or otherwise. You can add cooked yams and sweet potatoes, which are great for them. I use 2-3X a month a cooked Acorn squash- just zap it on the 'tater setting on the microwave, cut in half, let it cool down and serve whole or sliced. Makes 2 servings. Salty LOVES his squash. I remove all the 'guts' and seeds.
Pasta - also not a fan but give Salty 1 or 2 pieces when we have it for dinner. Not a lot for sure. Salty also gets chicken leg bones, the thick ones, when we have that. Stripped of all meat and cartilage, he loves to crack them open and eat the marrow. Good for them, if not given too often.

OP
Mulligan

Mulligan

Feb 5, 2023
Media
Parrots
One female Congo African Grey
Not a fan of rice cooked or otherwise. You can add cooked yams and sweet potatoes, which are great for them. I use 2-3X a month a cooked Acorn squash- just zap it on the 'tater setting on the microwave, cut in half, let it cool down and serve whole or sliced. Makes 2 servings. Salty LOVES his squash. I remove all the 'guts' and seeds.
Pasta - also not a fan but give Salty 1 or 2 pieces when we have it for dinner. Not a lot for sure. Salty also gets chicken leg bones, the thick ones, when we have that. Stripped of all meat and cartilage, he loves to crack them open and eat the marrow. Good for them, if not given too often.
I mis-wrote the ingredients. Thank you. I immediately went to market and picked up a yam. She didn't pay attention to it's small pieces, so I mixed a little in that rice dish I mentioned. She ate most of it.
The rice dish is ACTUALLY: All non-GMO, rice, organic hulled millet, yellow split peas, bulgur wheat, green lentils, pearled barley, quinoa, almonds, celery, carrrots, bell peppers, cayenne pepper, cumin and dried kelp. I mentioned the company where I purchase, so I wanted to get it correct. Thanx again!

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
Jingles is now age 26 and has laid up to 15 eggs. Recently, I noticed her legs look bare of feathers. They are hot to the touch. She eats, whistles and requires lots of attention that I can't constantly give. She has never been happy with our Great Pyrenees dogs. The very first dog came in 2008 and she went lame. AvianVet couldn't determine reason after several tests. I took her home and worked constantly with her and she returned to normal health. A few years ago she lost a lot of weight. Local AvianVet took tests couldn't find any reason. Since, she has gained and lost weight but always eats and sings. Her diet consists of multi-seed with fruit and veges. RoudyBush pellets and most recently I added cooked rice and vege mixture ordered through Chewy.com. Periodically, she enjoys plain spaghetti noodle or pieces of clean cooked steak (no salt or oil on it). Any suggestions?
Post pictures! We love to see each others' birds.

Most Reactions

Latest posts