Spectacular New Species of Leaf-tailed Gecko Discovered in Australia

findi

Jan 28, 2012
Hi All,

Madagascarā€™s bizarre Leaf-Tailed Geckos (Uroplatus spp.) are on the wish lists of many lizard enthusiasts. Even after decades of keeping reptiles in zoos, I was shocked by the sight of my first specimen. Equally unique are Australiaā€™s fantastic Leaf-Tailed Geckos (genus Saltuarius). In color, shape (some look like insect-chewed leaves!), movement and body position, both groups take camouflage to its extreme. The recent (October, 2013) discovery of a new Australian species, the Cape Melville Leaf Tailed Gecko, has caused quite a stir. Its Latin name means ā€œexceptional, extraordinary and exquisiteā€ā€¦and it is very fitting! I know that Iā€™m not alone in being thrilled that there are still such unusual creatures waiting to be found. Read the rest of this article here Spectacular New Species of Leaf-Tailed Gecko Discovered in Australia

Please also check out my posts on Twitter http://bitly.com/JP27Nj and Facebook http://on.fb.me/KckP1m

My Bio, with photos of animals Iā€™ve been lucky enough to work with: That Pet Place welcomes Zoologist/Herpetologist Frank Indiviglio to That Reptile Blog | That Reptile Blog

Best Regards, Frank Indiviglio

Mike17

Aug 12, 2013
Media
Albums
Outback Western Australia
Parrots
Alex- Eclectus, Ariel- whiteface, Junior- pied, Custard-lutino, Ziggy- pearl cockatiels, Kermit- Princess parrot, Jade- Plumhead parrot, George- budgie, Coco- Rainbow lorikeet, Corey-Little Corella.
Wonderful! I'm pretty sure this area is home to the Australian subspecies of eclectus also, E.r. macgillvrayii. I actually lived not all that far from this area (as in, the other side of Cape York Pen.) but never made it to the "wet" part of the Pen except rather south of Cape Melville (Cooktown).

It's great to see that new species can still be discovered. One would hope this area is protected, especially with this species having an apparently rather limited range.

Betrisher

Jun 3, 2013
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Parrots
Dominic: Galah(RIP: 1981-2018); The Lovies: Four Blue Masked Lovebirds; Barney and Madge (The Beaks): Alexandrines; Miss Rosetta Stone: Little Corella
Yeah, it's a precious area all right! One of the places I hope to see before I die, along with the Katherine Gorge and the Alligator River in Kakadu. I'd like to see a Rainbow Pitta, a Cassowary (in the wild) and the Cooktown and Swamp Orchids and a Rufous Owl. There's also a long list of botanical oddities I'd love to see as well. One day...

PS. I have searched all my life and never once been able to catch or even see a Leaf-tailed Gecko in the wild! I know they're out there, I just can't seem to cross paths with one. Buggerit!

Mike17

Aug 12, 2013
Media
Albums
Outback Western Australia
Parrots
Alex- Eclectus, Ariel- whiteface, Junior- pied, Custard-lutino, Ziggy- pearl cockatiels, Kermit- Princess parrot, Jade- Plumhead parrot, George- budgie, Coco- Rainbow lorikeet, Corey-Little Corella.
Yeah, it's a precious area all right! One of the places I hope to see before I die, along with the Katherine Gorge and the Alligator River in Kakadu. I'd like to see a Rainbow Pitta, a Cassowary (in the wild) and the Cooktown and Swamp Orchids and a Rufous Owl. There's also a long list of botanical oddities I'd love to see as well. One day...

PS. I have searched all my life and never once been able to catch or even see a Leaf-tailed Gecko in the wild! I know they're out there, I just can't seem to cross paths with one. Buggerit!

Cassowary are reasonably common up near Cairns, Trish. In the Daintree there are signs beside the road, basically, look out for cassowaries. I have a vague recollection of having seen a leaf-tailed gecko somewhere, maybe around the Hawkesbury sandstome country when in Scouts or at Outward Bound camp. It's so long ago:)

Klaery

Jul 8, 2012
Brisbane, Australia
Parrots
Elroy - Hahns macaw, Ponyo - Sun conure
Nice article :)

Let me know if you are ever up this way ;) I help with doco filming on mount tamborine and they are very common (Saltuarius swaini) :)

Last edited:
OP
F

findi

Jan 28, 2012
Wonderful! I'm pretty sure this area is home to the Australian subspecies of eclectus also, E.r. macgillvrayii. I actually lived not all that far from this area (as in, the other side of Cape York Pen.) but never made it to the "wet" part of the Pen except rather south of Cape Melville (Cooktown).

It's great to see that new species can still be discovered. One would hope this area is protected, especially with this species having an apparently rather limited range.

It must be a magical place; I've been keeping tabs of some of the herp discoveries, must visit. I didn't realize that eclectus was there as well, thank you, best, frank

OP
F

findi

Jan 28, 2012

That's quite a list you have there...glad to see someone else with wide interests. I've kept banded Pittas but not Rainbow; hard to find cassowaries in zoos here in the USA, I was lucky to have worked with a few. Owls given very little attention also, but there are some impressive natives...Great Horned Owls still nest in some parts of NYC!

Stay well, Frank

OP
F

findi

Jan 28, 2012
Nice article :)

Let me know if you are ever up this way ;) I help with doco filming on mount tamborine and they are very common (Saltuarius swaini) :)

Much appreciated, Dan. Embarrassed to say I've never been to Australia, but look forward to doing so now that work sched has eased, Best, Frank

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
How interesting!!!! Finding something new everyday.... I would LOVE to visit Australia one day....

Calace

May 16, 2013
Newcastle, Australia
Parrots
GCC- Ollie 3.9.13.
Cockatiels- RIP Charlie 2012, Zac 2006.
Nice article :) Let me know if you are ever up this way ;) I help with doco filming on mount tamborine and they are very common (Saltuarius swaini) :)

I went to Mount Tamborine for my honeymoon - beautiful place! :)

Always amazing to hear of new discoveries, nice to know we haven't seen it all eh? ;)

Most Reactions

Latest posts