Sprouting seeds, then drying?

Flboy

Dec 28, 2014
Greater Orlando area, Florida
Parrots
JoJo, 'Special' GCC, Bongo, Cinnamon GCC(wife's)
I stumbled onto an idea using sprouts. I sprout Abba Sprout Seed for JoJo. Same old issues with keeping them fresh and not spoiling, having some spread in a flat dish for a treat, I realized they dried out and seemed stable, and, JoJo continued to snack on them! In my mind, yes, I'm a male, so I know I am already behind the curve,, back to thought. In my mind, sprouting has already done it's magic on the seeds, so them drying will not reverse the process. A few water soluble vitamins may suffer? I am not talking about any kind of large batches to be processed, but with a single GCC, a quarter cup of seed is a lot of sprouts!

OP
Flboy

Flboy

Dec 28, 2014
Parrots
Shameless bump!
Does this method seem to be acceptable?
I stumbled onto an idea using sprouts. I sprout Abba Sprout Seed for JoJo. Same old issues with keeping them fresh and not spoiling, having some spread in a flat dish for a treat, I realized they dried out and seemed stable, and, JoJo continued to snack on them! In my mind, yes, I'm a male, so I know I am already behind the curve,, back to thought. In my mind, sprouting has already done it's magic on the seeds, so them drying will not reverse the process. A few water soluble vitamins may suffer? I am not talking about any kind of large batches to be processed, but with a single GCC, a quarter cup of seed is a lot of sprouts!

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
David, I store my sprouts in an empty blueberry container which I put in the fridge. Never had a problem with them drying out. HTH???

I used a 'pigeon mix' to sprout these.

Someone couldn't help herself

OP
Flboy

Flboy

Dec 28, 2014
Parrots
David, I store my sprouts in an empty blueberry container which I put in the fridge. Never had a problem with them drying out. HTH???

Yes, good to see your setup! I assume you use the lemon as a preservitive?
But I am talking about intentionally letting them dry to prevent souring and increase shelf life to a few hours/day sitting on counter(unrefrigerated).

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Yes, good to see your setup! I assume you use the lemon as a preservitive?
But I am talking about intentionally letting them dry to prevent souring and increase shelf life to a few hours/day sitting on counter(unrefrigerated).

AAAAH, I see!

Yes, when I soak the seeds, I add a bit of lemon juice to the water. I've found I have less issues with them smelling nasty too quickly, unless I'm imagining things, which is always a possibility. ;)

Most Reactions