SQUAWK! calling all mac vetrans!

birdbrainzz4me

Dec 22, 2012
michigan
Parrots
former m&f si Eclectus
this post i think is for anybody who owns a mac that is well into sexual maturity.
a gw is what i really, really, really, would love to have :D. and i have been doing an excellent job at doing my research, and mingling with all the mac owners here. i also talk to my only friend who has a b&g as much as possible with out trying to be too annoying at the same time :eek:. and i am only getting negetive feed back when i talk to him about rico the b&g. rico is technically his girlfriends bird but i see him more than her, but she would tell me the same exact things. anyways, they have had him since he was young, they finished weaning rico. and he was a very well mannered bird up until he started reaching sexual maturity. now all they can say is he's an a$$ hole! :( he doesn't like men, and will only let the girlfriend handle him. i was asked if i was sure i wanted a mac, because of all the trouble they deal with, from rico. they also have a neighbor that owns a b&g, and he's got a 3 to 4 inch scar on his shoulder because his mac decided that he/she was going to rip him wide open. it's a little off setting, because i read alot of good, happy stories from all the mac owners here. and when i talk to the one person, in person about theirs and just finding out about their neighbors their's are nothing but horror stories. i know every bird has their own personalities but do they really act this way when they reach sexual maturity, jackyll and hydes. i can deal with mood swings, i am female after all. pms and dealing with my moms menopause is fair enough mood swing. but has anybody had mac's that just did a total 360 and turn into a satin bird? and if so how do you guys deal with them. because of rico doing this, it pretty much landed him being in his cage alot. the girlfriend lets him out so he's not cooped up all the time but he's still out for blood, from anybody besides her.

Cami

Mar 24, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
Parrots
9 1/2 yr old B&G, Spencer. 15 1/2 yr old Indian Ringneck, Edmund.
I can only speak for my b&g who entered sexual maturation at 6yrs old. This was BIG for me.

There have been numerous posts on the subject. Please do a search for the following thread titles and review. There is a lot of examples and good reference materal in these that will help you, or you can search my name, then look for this titles:

Any experienced macaw owners out there with advice for me?

Help please!

Blue and Gold Macaw Sexual Maturation

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Neither of mine are at "that" age yet....but mine DO have to deal with MY Menopause. :54: :54: :54:...and that's all I have to say about that. :D

Cami

Mar 24, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
Parrots
LMBO!!! I'm with ya Girlfriend. Between my hot flashes and birdie hormones I pity anyone who comes to my front door! LOL!

OP
birdbrainzz4me

birdbrainzz4me

Dec 22, 2012
michigan
Parrots
former m&f si Eclectus
so i read the topics you advised me to, cami. those were helpful for mating season mood swings. but what about acting like this all the time, it never stops for them. apparently he's an ornery old cuss all the time. there is so much different that i would do with him, but i don't like to tell people what they should do with their own animals, but i will suggest. and personally i know for a fact that he needs more time out of his cage and more attention. i think this would definitely help out with him being testy all the time. but me saying that to them , i would kinda feel like i am telling them they are bad parront's and they need to step it up some and start giving him more. they asked if i wanted to borrow rico, so i had an idea of what living with a macaw was like. my fiance said no of course because of his aggression issues. i personally think i could get him to come around, but he will chase any male figure clean across the house just wanting to kill! from what i am told. and that simple fact, it wouldn't be safe because we have a lot of guys over here. my house has been turned into one big man cave ! it's like man cave headquarters.

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
I am honestly in NO position to comment on sexually mature Macs...but when you say your friend's Mac acts like this ALL the time, I do wonder whether they allow him to have the run of the house? Do they reward his behavior of chasing the "man" around the house?

If anybody LAUGHS while this is happening, the Mac will surely see this as some sort of reinforcement, no? :confused:

I swear, Niko can read my FACE without me having to say a word, and Ripley is learning it REALLY quickly, too.

I HATE getting bruised by them - but it DOES happen. But when I does, I let them know right away. I NEVER EVER swipe at them, NEVER flick their beak or show them aggression back. What I do is I put them into their cage, put on my best "I'm hurt" "I'm angry" I'm upset" face...and leave them in their cage until their demeanor improves. I also talk to them non-stop. This may sound silly, but if they do something I don't approve of, I will tell them with a different tone of voice.

These animals are SO VERY smart!!!! And they WILL take advantage if given the opportunity.

Gosh...for someone who has no experience with sexually mature Macs, I sure gave you all an earful...sorry about that. :eek:

OP
birdbrainzz4me

birdbrainzz4me

Dec 22, 2012
michigan
Parrots
former m&f si Eclectus
don't be sorry wendy, i'm the one who brought this topic up. i am with you on the whole idea that maybe they caused this, because if i can remember right it was a year or so ago that they were talking about rico going after mens feet and the girlfriend would laugh because everybody else would freak out and get scared. by letting this happen i believe that's the reason he's the way he is now. they let him get away with TOO much, and now they are paying for it. i was just wondering if anybody else had this kind of problem no matter what they did to try and correct the situation. but your plan of action would be the same as what mine would be given i was in that position. i wish i could do something for him and my friends, so they have a healthier relationship with each other, and less stress. but i also feel like what ever i could do or say might also be ignored because they've had this mac for almost 20 years and i don't have one at all. so who am i to tell them what they should do. i try talking about how they could improve but i always seem to get set aside like i don't know what i'm talking about, he's just an a$$.

Cami

Mar 24, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
Parrots
With all due respect, it sounds like your friends do not have enough time and patience. My b&g has his ornery moments thru out the day, but it comes and goes, then it's over.

You are in quite the precarious position in an attempt to tell your friends how to take care of their bird, but with that, since they offered, it might be a good idea to 'birdsit' Rico (just yourself) to give him the time and love and watch his behavior from there. Maybe start off with spending time with Rico while your friends aren't home, since he'll be comfortable within his own surroundings, and go from there. Just a thought.

OP
birdbrainzz4me

birdbrainzz4me

Dec 22, 2012
michigan
Parrots
former m&f si Eclectus
i like that idea, i even thought about it, but our work schedules are completely opposite from each other. while i'm awake she's sleeping and vice versa. she works all night and i work very early morning till noonish. plus she's a single mom. the boyfriend doesn't live with her. so when she's not home she's mainly at work, and when she's at work the boyfriend stays with her son. or the grandma babysits. but if i do ever get the offer to bird sit, i will try it out. and see how our progress goes. because i don't like seeing things like this happen. and as with the time and patience, i would have to agree.

Most Reactions

Latest posts