Starting our own breeding business

Brodie

Jul 25, 2012
Media
Melbourne, Australia
Parrots
Male Eclectus- Oscar and Female Eclectus- Scarlet
Hey everyone :)
Me and Luke have been planning for a while to start up out own breeding business.
There is not many Macaw breeders in my state, and not many good parrot breeders around in general.
We have been doing a good amount of research for months and months, and trying to figure out how much it will cost us to set up a good amount of pairs and what species we would like to have.
Our experience with parrots is really good, and we both have experience hand rearing as well.
I know we can do this, and i wouldn't even try if there was the smallest doubt on our mind about either of us. The work doesn't bother me, cleaning, feeding, and keeping them all happy and as comfortable as possible. Scarlet will still be getting the same amount of attention, and i know we will be able to afford evrything once we start, were not starting till we have enough money.
Which is why we still haven't brought our greenwing, that's about 12000 less to put towards our breeding.
We are planning on starting with very little, maybe a couple airs of Ekkys, and a pair of blue and golds, then eventually getting a few pairs of blue and golds, then a few pairs of greenwings, and then some greys. The breeders around here are not at all up to my standards, i have only ever found one breeder who i would be happy to get a bird from, which is where Scarlet came from, they pride them self's in their birds, there healthy, on perfect diets, all have toys and stimulation in their cages to keep them happy, and their babies are always perfect weight, weaned before they go to their new homes, vet checked, microchiped, healthy, well socialized, perfect feather, and all birds cages and aviaries are spotless. This is what I want to achieve.
Any helpfull tips or ideas would be amazing, i thought you guys would be the best to ask, This is something i would eventually like to start doing full time, so i can put all of my time into the birds.
Anything at all that i will need, anything i need to know, just anything in general lol.
Thanks guys, we will greatly appreciate your help :)

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
Well ,,,,i don;t know what help you want,, so i'll give you some advice.i pay more for baby breeder birds than i do for 1st quaility pet birds. I invest 10 yrs in my breeder birds before i ever realize a dime to the plus side. The old adage " it's hard to make chicken salad from chicken do-do applies". take no short cuts when getting your breeder stock. Breeders that grow in your environment will out produce pairs imported into your environment.realize the traits that are important to you and strive for excellence.

Last edited:

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
You may want to see if the breeder that Scarlet came from would be willing to tutor you in everything you need to know from setting pairs up to raising chicks. :)

Most Reactions