Steam cleaner 'smell' possibly dangerous?

kiwiS

Jun 27, 2013
Parrots
Kiwi Stardust - a green cheek conure
Hello lovely parronts - Happy new Year to you all!

I purchased a steam cleaner in hopes to steam clean Kiwi's cage once in a while. Well I tried it out this morning and after using it for a while, I noticed it had this odd smell coming out of it, kind of like the smell of a non-stick pan. *TEFLON - GAH !! *

Panic set in, and I shut it off and opened all the windows and doors , even though it's winter and freezing outside. Thankfully kiwi was in another room, but we live in a very tiny house and I'm so worried she might have gotten affected!!

I have never heard of steam cleaners causing a danger to birds (except for the obvious fact that they can scald). Does anyone have any insight on this? Am I over-worrying?

What are the signs of inhalation of dangerous fumes? She is up by my ponytail chewing on my hair tie, acting perfectly normal, but I worry just the same!! What should I look out for?

KimKim

May 5, 2013
Parrots
CAG
Maybe if you posted what brand, people might be able to help?? I don't have a hand steamer just a shark floor steam mop.

OP
kiwiS

kiwiS

Jun 27, 2013
Parrots
Kiwi Stardust - a green cheek conure
ooo! Good point! It is a dbtech electric steamer, one of those smaller ones about the size of a watering can.

Kiwi seems to be the same..no weirdness so far. I think we got lucky this time, but that thing is going to the donation box, with a note saying 'don't use around parrots!' !

Freespin

Nov 28, 2013
Waikato New Zealand
Parrots
Male senegal - Stephen. Previously Barry - Male Barraband
Nelson - Male Eclectus
Could it be because it's new and needs some time to burn off the smell?

Most Reactions

Latest posts