Safe rug/upholstery cleaner

vsk101

Aug 13, 2017
San Francisco, CA
Parrots
Green Bean -Male Eclectus adopted 8/27/17 (6 months old)
Hi, I am moving next week and need to have 2 rugs and my couch cleaned. I am boarding my bird now and can keep him out of the house for a while afterwards, but I need to have these items professionally cleaned. Can someone offer some recommendations on what type of cleaning service I should use? I have seen both steam cleaners as well as "rotary cleaners," the latter of which seem us to use chemicals but are noted as "green" (which I know are not necessarily safe). I had a problem with fumes in my apartment and started boarding my board and staying elsewhere a couple of months ago because of it. I want to make sure that whatever fumes may be in the rugs are removed and I am unsure whether steam alone can accomplish that. I would appreciate any advice you can offer. I know Coit and Stanley Steamer are national brands in the US, so if those are safe, I could just go with them. Thank you

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
Eek..You can't do it yourself?
I have heard that stuff like dry-cleaning etc is full of chemicals (even the "green" types still use a chemical--at least the ones I used before I had a bird). Maybe things have changed though....
What kinds of fumes were in the apartment and what is on them that is causing you to get them cleaned? Was there a spill or spray that got all over everything?
Knowing that might help people answer...
Rugs in general have a tendency to contain fumes themselves (the polypropeline ones, and those with rubber backings/hand tufted ones with glues etc, spill resistant rugs contain a chemical and many are also treated with a flame-retardant...) SO, it is a big question because A) depends on what you think is on them from your apartment...
B) what they would use to clean them, and
C) if the added wear of cleaning could actually lead to out-gassing/off-gassing (which can happen for many years and intensify with wear depending on the rug type). If these are natural cotton, jute, sisal or wool rugs without a bunch of chemical dyes, glues, or synthetics, then that last concern (above) would be less of an issue. I only know that stuff because I spent the past 2 days trying to find a safe hallway runner and anything in my price-range is pretty chemical-laden already.

The really expensive air purifiers/ filters also can be tailored to remove VOCs, so you could also consider getting one of those as an additional precaution--I wish I could help more. It seems like any chemical cleaners pose a risk (as dry-cleaning does). It isn't going to save a bird from a chemical scent, but at least it would have indicator lights to show you how poor the air quality is. If you do this, make sure it is a non-ionizing true hepa filter that can deal with VOCs in a large area (and run it for a few days before your bird moves in just in case). That would have to happen in addition to you making sure that the cleaners are safe etc, but it is added security (in my opinion).

Last edited:
OP
V

vsk101

Aug 13, 2017
San Francisco, CA
Parrots
Thanks, Noodles. My rugs are wool. I aired them out for a week in my friend's back yard before I brought them home. I'm hoping I can find a carpet cleaner that can use dish soap or vinegar and water in their machine. I am too overwhelmed with the move to do it myself. I simply don't know what the fumes are. they may be in part car exhaust fumes from the garage
. I also live in an area that has a lot of fires. And I bought an air purifier online that is my biggest concern - I believe it was used and returned and immediately made me cough and ill when I got it. all of this is why I removed my bird from the home and decided to move.

Re: air purifiers, I am looking into one that will get VOCs. the problem is different VOC air purifiers get different VOCs. depending on the type of fire, VOCs may be different. Is there one you recommend in particular that would work for many fires?

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
I think AlenAir actually has one the relates to fires--- you can check their website. That is the type I got and was happiest with.
I also got some hathaspace purifiers but I don't like them as much as my breathesmart...

I bet customer service could help you because I am not positive...It was either alenair or another company like Austin something that did have one for fires....

OP
V

vsk101

Aug 13, 2017
San Francisco, CA
Parrots
Thank you, I will look into both of those air purifiers

Most Reactions