Step up rebellion

Iago

Nov 8, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
Parrots
Petrie ~ Green Cheek Conure
Iago! ~ Sun Conure - RIP 11/20/2021
Iago has been really good a stepping up. He does it nearly all of the time when I ask him to except for when he is by his cage. Then it becomes "I will do this whenever I feel like it." Sometimes that takes forever. Anybody else go through this?

Crazy4Birds

Oct 20, 2010
CT and FL
Parrots
Nicky (sun conure); RIP Gracie (senegal) and Benson (cockatiel)
Nicky only does that when he is on top of his cage. When I was in high school I would almost miss the bus sometimes trying to get him to step up off his cage so I could get him back inside before I left. He is such a little stinker! I think Iago only behaves this way when near his cage is because he is afraid you will put him back in. Sun conures never want play time to end!

OP
Iago

Iago

Nov 8, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
Parrots
Yea he likes being on his cage but whenever I want him to step up, it's always to bring him somewhere around the house, never to go back in. If I want/need him to go back in his cage I just say "Iago, home" and he goes right in, not a problem.

Von1983

Banned
Banned
Sep 3, 2010
Media
I discovered early on with Cal that I do better with the action rather than the command.

I just put my hand near her feet and she steps up.

When I said: "step up" she would find something more interesting to do!

The only command I really use is "come here please" and that gets her to fly to me wherever she is. I'm up on this one in case there is ever an emergency!

Aside from that, our interaction is strangely devoid of commands, we just chat to eachother and indicate intentions silently....hmmmm.....never really realised that! ha!

cghoosier21

Nov 8, 2010
Media
Indiana
Parrots
Black Capped Conure- Rocky (hatched 5/8/10
i hardly have issues with Rocky stepping up but he is a little stinker when it comes to getting him to go back into his cage he never wants to go back in so i have to put him on the inside of the door which he'll get onto fairly easily and ill just close the door so he cant climb onto the top of the cage lol

Kokihi

Aug 11, 2010
Santa Barbara county, California
Parrots
One Green Cheek Conure: Tori
Tori does that occasionally, but when he does we always just grab his food bowl and put it up there. He magnetizes to it. Its kinda funny. . . Hes such a little fatty. . .

OP
Iago

Iago

Nov 8, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
Parrots
Yea, I've tried just putting my fingers or forearm close to his feet without saying a word along with saying step up. I guess he's just stubborn. Eh, oh well...that just means he wants his own time and I get to watch a movie or read! haha

Most Reactions